1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying First Diesel, Need LOTS of opinions

Old 05-01-2012, 09:25 PM
CountryD
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Buying First Diesel, Need LOTS of opinions

So, heres my story. Always been a big fan of fords, dad has had them my entire life, so I decided to try something different. Bought a 2012 Dodge 2500 Crew cab SLT (hemi), BIG MISTAKE. Truck only has 1700 miles on it and I HATE IT!!!!

Truck is JUNK. The factory paint is Really messed up, it has ALOT of tiger strippin in it, the tranny shifts at awkward times and the inside door panels are discolored. So I met with a Dodge rep today and he said they would paint the bed and fenders, but when we talked to the Paint shop they told me it would never look rite. So, I asked for a complete paint job and the rep told me NO. Asked him what they would do about the door panels, and he accused me of putting something on them that discolored them. Then I just kinda HIT THE FAN,I told him that I will tell EVERYONE that I encounter NOT TO BUY A DODGE. He said that was fine with him that they sell enough that they dont have to worry about one individual. Then we exchanged words and I had to be held back and the police was called.

Kinda funny since Im 6'6 and 270lbs, not saying that Im a Bad A** but I wouldve swelled his eyes closed.

Anyways, went by the reliable ford dealer and talked about getting a 2012 FX4 Crew cab Powerstroke. Gonna take about a 3K hit but its worth it. Gonna go trade it in Friday.

Heres my questions, since this is my first diesel do I really need a Programmer? If so, I dont want to go extreme, maybe something mild

This thing has ALOT of POWER now, do I really need more?

Does it need any additive, the dodge guy told me that fords diesels need some type of additive?

One last question, the one thing that I do want is a exhaust.
What exhaust is the best, dont want screaming loud, just something MILD.

Lift kit and wheels will come in time, as will Black outs, etc.

Any Opinions or Ideas are greatly appreciated.

Old 05-01-2012, 09:31 PM
Kajtek1
Postmaster
So you did not even pick up the 450 HP beast and you already think about chipping it.
WAY TO GO
Welcome to the forum. The new engines do have good recommendations, but hopefully somebody already driving one will come with more precise info.

Old 05-01-2012, 09:42 PM
RM2738
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by CountryD
So, heres my story. Always been a big fan of fords, dad has had them my entire life, so I decided to try something different. Bought a 2012 Dodge 2500 Crew cab SLT (hemi), BIG MISTAKE. Truck only has 1700 miles on it and I HATE IT!!!!

Truck is JUNK. The factory paint is Really messed up, it has ALOT of tiger strippin in it, the tranny shifts at awkward times and the inside door panels are discolored. So I met with a Dodge rep today and he said they would paint the bed and fenders, but when we talked to the Paint shop they told me it would never look rite. So, I asked for a complete paint job and the rep told me NO. Asked him what they would do about the door panels, and he accused me of putting something on them that discolored them. Then I just kinda HIT THE FAN,I told him that I will tell EVERYONE that I encounter NOT TO BUY A DODGE. He said that was fine with him that they sell enough that they dont have to worry about one individual. Then we exchanged words and I had to be held back and the police was called.

Kinda funny since Im 6'6 and 270lbs, not saying that Im a Bad A** but I wouldve swelled his eyes closed.

Anyways, went by the reliable ford dealer and talked about getting a 2012 FX4 Crew cab Powerstroke. Gonna take about a 3K hit but its worth it. Gonna go trade it in Friday.

Heres my questions, since this is my first diesel do I really need a Programmer? If so, I dont want to go extreme, maybe something mild

This thing has ALOT of POWER now, do I really need more?

Does it need any additive, the dodge guy told me that fords diesels need some type of additive?

Lift kit and wheels will come in time, as will Black outs, etc.

Any Opinions or Ideas are greatly appreciated.
do I really need a Programmer? If so, I dont want to go extreme, maybe something mild
You don't NEED a programmer. If you want to modify exhaust, you will need one to shut off the regen cycle (Burn off soot in the exhaust filter)

This thing has ALOT of POWER now, do I really need more? No

Does it need any additive, the dodge guy told me that fords diesels need some type of additive? Yes, The new Powerstroke uses a chemical called DEF. it's becoming more readily available, as it was only available at the dealer for a while.

Lots of opens there. Depends how extensive you would like to go. The exhaust on newer diesels isn't the customary exhaust of years ago. There are multiple components and those components and sensors which are controlled/monitored by the PCM, simple removal and replacement is no longer an option. I advise that you go read the 6.7L forum for a few days before buying a diesel. There are so many extra precautionary steps and maintenance that MUST be done.

Old 05-01-2012, 09:48 PM
Quad Racer
Cargo Master
Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts
Great advice there RM2738. When you upgrade to a Super Duty, you also upgrade to a quality forum as well. Start a thread in the 6.7 section also. Here, this has a history of getting fun haha .

Old 05-01-2012, 09:50 PM
CountryD
Senior User
Originally Posted by RM2738
do I really need a Programmer? If so, I dont want to go extreme, maybe something mild
You don't NEED a programmer. If you want to modify exhaust, you will need one to shut off the regen cycle (Burn off soot in the exhaust filter)

This thing has ALOT of POWER now, do I really need more? No

Does it need any additive, the dodge guy told me that fords diesels need some type of additive? Yes, The new Powerstroke uses a chemical called DEF. it's becoming more readily available, as it was only available at the dealer for a while.

Lots of opens there. Depends how extensive you would like to go. The exhaust on newer diesels isn't the customary exhaust of years ago. There are multiple components and those components and sensors which are controlled/monitored by the PCM, simple removal and replacement is no longer an option. I advise that you go read the 6.7L forum for a few days before buying a diesel. There are so many extra precautionary steps and maintenance that MUST be done.
Damn Bro, you kinda scared me. I just want something that sounds alittle meaner in the exhaust category. Being this will be my first diesel maybe Im getting in over my head with this.

Old 05-01-2012, 10:02 PM
Quad Racer
Cargo Master
Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts
Just look around and dont sweat it, you're good. Welcome to FTE

Old 05-01-2012, 10:14 PM
RM2738
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by CountryD
Damn Bro, you kinda scared me. I just want something that sounds alittle meaner in the exhaust category. Being this will be my first diesel maybe Im getting in over my head with this.
Not my intentions by any means. But the reality is, these new generation rigs can be very overwhelming. Diesel engines were designed to run on garbage fuel, which diesel truly is just a byproduct. The EPA has stepped in and required that diesels now pass certain emissions requirements and that has forced the manufacturers to use technology that hasnt been perfected. Just read up and you'll be ok. All I can say is maintenance, maintenance, maintenance.

Old 05-01-2012, 10:18 PM
CountryD
Senior User
Originally Posted by RM2738
Not my intentions by any means. But the reality is, these new generation rigs can be very overwhelming. Diesel engines were designed to run on garbage fuel, which diesel truly is just a byproduct. The EPA has stepped in and required that diesels now pass certain emissions requirements and that has forced the manufacturers to use technology that hasnt been perfected. Just read up and you'll be ok. All I can say is maintenance, maintenance, maintenance.
Man, I appreciate the helpful info, I started a thread in the diesel section so maybe they can straighten me out in certain areas. Appreciate you guys looking out. Just wanna make sure I get all the correct info before I go a spend 50K.

Old 05-01-2012, 10:52 PM
2008fordguy
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I bought my 2004 6.0 last October with 84,5xx miles. She has 92,8xx now. Ive had a few minor problems (clogged EGR, and a sticking 4x4 actuator). The advice and posts on here were better than most of the dealers in my neck of the woods.

No offense, but you dont sound like you have read enough posts on here yet to make a good decision. I read this forum for like a year while I was searching and test driving trucks. I was a LITTLE on the crazy side, but Im just saying that maybe you should read about the model and motor you are interested in, that way you dont have so many $$$$ surprises that might make the cost of ownership too high for your budget?

and in closing, you really freaked out about "tiger striped" paint and discolored panels? You didnt notice this when the salesman gave you the walk around and all that junk? the guys on here ragged on me about buying my truck without checking the ball joints and whatnot, and they were right. i was just mad at the time. do more post reading, and pay attention to the new ford you get BEFORE you sign the contract.....

Old 05-01-2012, 10:56 PM
2008fordguy
Senior User
P.S. I would never be so blunt and harsh in person. for obvious reasons lol

Old 05-02-2012, 07:27 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 297 Likes on 156 Posts
First, WELCOME to FTE!

If it were me, I'd just drive the thing for a year and see how it meets my expectations. Then, after all that, maybe a programmer and/or exhaust.

BUT - remember, Ford is very picky about warranties now - if you can't afford the out-of-pocket to replace an engine, don't go too extreme, or at all. Even exhaust modifications can cause warranty issues. (That said, I now duck-and-cover, as I'm sure someone will step up and start razzing on me about "I got my engine covered by warranty after I grenaded it with a 800HP programmer because the dealer was good to me")

Anyway, welcome to the Ford family

Old 05-02-2012, 07:33 AM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Coming from tuned deezles and tuned turbo'ed gas engines that I hated driving stock when I had to....

So far, the 6.7's 400 hp and 800 lbft @ 1600 rpms has not made me NEED to go get a tuner, and even towing with a gcwr of 23k+ and it does fine !

On my previous diesels I had turbo back, and cat back, and Walker BTM flow thru mufflers for fairly raucous sound, but with the new one ALL I've done is a $172 filter back to mellow out the sound a bit.

Oh, and one other thing I do regularly...
Drive it and smile !
the tuned Audi Q5 turbo we used to run around town in sits in the garage more

when I want to, I may go to the H&S xt-pro for an additional 150 HP without any other changes, but will save that for later as it's fine now and stronger stock than my previous tuned deezles

Old 05-02-2012, 12:54 PM
btred1466
Tuned
I don't know anything about the new diesels but all this emission stuff is a bunch of crap. Cannot make an engine recirculate it's dirt and expect it to run without any problems. Funny aftermarket kits are already being sold to remove it. I would not have anything newer than a 2007. Dodges are crap especially the diesels. Only good thing out of a Dodge diesel is the cummins engine and the rest just scrap it.

Old 05-02-2012, 08:02 PM
CountryD
Senior User
Originally Posted by 2008fordguy
I bought my 2004 6.0 last October with 84,5xx miles. She has 92,8xx now. Ive had a few minor problems (clogged EGR, and a sticking 4x4 actuator). The advice and posts on here were better than most of the dealers in my neck of the woods.

No offense, but you dont sound like you have read enough posts on here yet to make a good decision. I read this forum for like a year while I was searching and test driving trucks. I was a LITTLE on the crazy side, but Im just saying that maybe you should read about the model and motor you are interested in, that way you dont have so many $$$$ surprises that might make the cost of ownership too high for your budget?

and in closing, you really freaked out about "tiger striped" paint and discolored panels? You didnt notice this when the salesman gave you the walk around and all that junk? the guys on here ragged on me about buying my truck without checking the ball joints and whatnot, and they were right. i was just mad at the time. do more post reading, and pay attention to the new ford you get BEFORE you sign the contract.....
Ahh bro, well here in northern utah, its hard buying a truck in the middle of january and it be spotless. Even on the day of pickup, it snowed 18inches, so looking over the truck with a fine comb is hard and tiger stripping on silver is harder to see when its cloudy as opposed to daylight.

And Ive been reading on here for almost 6 months, then made the decision to get the dodge, and then regretted it. Thats it. And as for not noticing the panels on the back doors, I dont ride in the back of my truck, so it caught my eye when I was detailing her. It just sucks that Im gonna eat about 3K

Old 05-02-2012, 08:39 PM
Firefighter 1406
Lead Driver

Received 85 Likes on 58 Posts
That does suck big time but I was thinking you getting out with only eating 3K was good considering the circumstances. I think the new diesel will be plenty of power, can't wait to see some pics.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Buying First Diesel, Need LOTS of opinions