Truck downshifted to 2nd doing 40 mph downhill when I tapped the brakes! - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.7L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

Truck downshifted to 2nd doing 40 mph downhill when I tapped the brakes!

Notices
6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Old 04-30-2012, 09:53 PM
bluefin
Freshman User
bluefin is starting off with a positive reputation.

Kind of surprised me. Is that normal?

Old 04-30-2012, 09:56 PM
SavageNFS
Post Fiend
SavageNFS has a superb reputationSavageNFS has a superb reputationSavageNFS has a superb reputationSavageNFS has a superb reputationSavageNFS has a superb reputationSavageNFS has a superb reputationSavageNFS has a superb reputationSavageNFS has a superb reputationSavageNFS has a superb reputationSavageNFS has a superb reputationSavageNFS has a superb reputation
were you in tow/haul?

Old 04-30-2012, 10:00 PM
cabindoc
Elder User
cabindoc has a very good reputation on FTE.cabindoc has a very good reputation on FTE.cabindoc has a very good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by bluefin View Post
Kind of surprised me. Is that normal?
No, that's a problem. Take it in.

Old 04-30-2012, 10:11 PM
marchare011
Posting Guru
marchare011 has a brilliant futuremarchare011 has a brilliant futuremarchare011 has a brilliant futuremarchare011 has a brilliant futuremarchare011 has a brilliant futuremarchare011 has a brilliant futuremarchare011 has a brilliant futuremarchare011 has a brilliant futuremarchare011 has a brilliant futuremarchare011 has a brilliant futuremarchare011 has a brilliant future
Normal? Under certain circumstances, yes.

I had it happen to me last summer coming off the mountain with my 5er pushing me hard. It is kind of alarming the first time it happens. If it bothers you too bad, you can take it out of tow/haul real quick which will cause an upshift typically, and defeat the slow down process requiring harder braking, or, just mash a little harder on the brake pedal when it happens and understand that you are getting close to exceeding the operating envelope of your downgrade braking/exhaust brake system.

Either way you are going to use a little more brakes, so I now opt to leave the tow/haul feature engaged and apply a little more brakes and let the tranny still help out.

All this is assuming you were in tow/haul and either towing something or coming down a fairly steep grade, or both. It takes a few pulls in the mountains and the twisty's to get a good feel for how this thing works. I don't recall the RPM's when this happens, but I do remember it sounds like you're about to redline.

Old 04-30-2012, 10:24 PM
Chep
Senior User
Chep is starting off with a positive reputation.
IIRC automatic upshift is programmed at 4000 RPM's during engine braking in tow/haul mode. I personally have never hit it to confirm, come close.

Old 04-30-2012, 10:31 PM
marchare011
Posting Guru
marchare011 has a brilliant futuremarchare011 has a brilliant futuremarchare011 has a brilliant futuremarchare011 has a brilliant futuremarchare011 has a brilliant futuremarchare011 has a brilliant futuremarchare011 has a brilliant futuremarchare011 has a brilliant futuremarchare011 has a brilliant futuremarchare011 has a brilliant futuremarchare011 has a brilliant future
Yeah, talk about an aw shi* feeling when that happens. You're going downhill and you overrun the downgrade braking/exhaust brake system and it upshifts to protect itself. WOW. That will make you reach for the brake pedal.

Always make sure you have your trailer brake gain in the high end setting to assist you when braking in the hills and mountains.

Old 04-30-2012, 10:41 PM
SavageNFS
Post Fiend
SavageNFS has a superb reputationSavageNFS has a superb reputationSavageNFS has a superb reputationSavageNFS has a superb reputationSavageNFS has a superb reputationSavageNFS has a superb reputationSavageNFS has a superb reputationSavageNFS has a superb reputationSavageNFS has a superb reputationSavageNFS has a superb reputationSavageNFS has a superb reputation
I think the engine breaking and shifting patterns are near perfect in my truck. I have had it upshift as rpm were getting too high and I was ready to apply more brake. I do think that when my brakes are ready for maintenance, I may upgrade the rotors. I think the brakes are average and I would like to see shorter stopping distances. That may be me and my driving style. Back on target, I think the more you tow, the more you will get a feel for when it is going to shift (up or down). A little time and it becomes predictable and you will be prepared more. It certainly isn't "random".

Brakes set to max in mountains...check. Alert driver with plenty of space between rig and person in front of you...check. Awesome time to be driving a PSD...check.

Old 04-30-2012, 10:53 PM
marchare011
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by SavageNFS View Post
I think the engine breaking and shifting patterns are near perfect in my truck. I have had it upshift as rpm were getting too high and I was ready to apply more brake. I do think that when my brakes are ready for maintenance, I may upgrade the rotors. I think the brakes are average and I would like to see shorter stopping distances. That may be me and my driving style. Back on target, I think the more you tow, the more you will get a feel for when it is going to shift (up or down). A little time and it becomes predictable and you will be prepared more. It certainly isn't "random".

Brakes set to max in mountains...check. Alert driver with plenty of space between rig and person in front of you...check. Awesome time to be driving a PSD...check.

Check and double check!

I spend quite a bit of time towing in the Big Horn Mtns and the Black Hills of WY and SD. I have about 8000 miles towing my 5er with my PSD. Me and ma love this thing. It does require a little getting used too. But, it's worth it.

Old 04-30-2012, 10:56 PM
SavageNFS
Post Fiend
yeah, I'd love to live further West. I may try and talk the wife into it when the kids are all in college. I love it out there...we love it here for now though. Wisconsin is a great place to raise our family.

Old 04-30-2012, 11:00 PM
marchare011
Posting Guru
Lot's of pretty places in this country. Enjoy as many as you can.

bluefin,

Did any of this dribble ease your fears or make sense?

Old 05-01-2012, 09:10 AM
bluefin
Freshman User
bluefin is starting off with a positive reputation.
Yes, I was in tow/haul. I was towing about 10k and was going down a winding mountain road. When it down shifted, I looked down and I was in 2nd and doing 40 mph. I am not sure, but it seems like it happens when you tap the brakes while going down hill.

I am not complaining, just want to see if others are experiencing this while towing. Like someone said: maybe I just have to get used to it. I do live in the mountains, so I will get plenty of practice with the system.

I must add that I am extremely happy with the way this truck pulls a heavy load. The power is unbelievable! And I was also happy with the fuel milage, as I got 11.2 mpg on mountain roads and mostly up hill.

Old 05-01-2012, 10:40 AM
_red rocket_
Senior User
_red rocket_ is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE._red rocket_ is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by Ford 2011 F-250/350/450/550 (f23) Owners Guide, 4th Printing

D (Overdrive) with Tow/Haul On

The tow/haul feature improves transmission operation when towing a trailer or a heavy load. All transmission gear ranges are available when using tow/haul.

To activate tow/haul, press the button on the end of the gearshift lever.

The TOW HAUL indicator light will illuminate in the instrument cluster.

Tow/haul delays upshifts to reduce frequency of transmission shifting. Tow/haul also provides engine braking in all forward gears when the transmission is in the D (Overdrive) position; this engine braking will slow the vehicle and assist the driver in controlling the vehicle when descending a grade.
Depending on driving conditions and load conditions, the transmission may downshift, slow the vehicle and control the vehicle speed when descending a hill, without the accelerator pedal being pressed. The amount of downshift braking provided will vary based upon the amount the brake pedal is depressed.

To deactivate the tow/haul feature and return to normal driving mode, press the button on the end of the gearshift lever. The TOW HAUL light will no longer be illuminated.

When you shut-off and restart the engine, the transmission will automatically return to normal D (Overdrive) mode (Tow/Haul OFF).

WARNING: Do not use the tow/haul feature when driving in icy or slippery conditions as the increased engine braking can cause the rear wheels to slide and the vehicle to swing around with the possible loss of vehicle control.
But yes, what you experienced is part of the design within the Tow/Haul transmission feature.

Old 05-01-2012, 10:42 AM
sdetweil
Post Fiend
sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by bluefin View Post
Yes, I was in tow/haul. I was towing about 10k and was going down a winding mountain road. When it down shifted, I looked down and I was in 2nd and doing 40 mph. I am not sure, but it seems like it happens when you tap the brakes while going down hill.

I am not complaining, just want to see if others are experiencing this while towing. Like someone said: maybe I just have to get used to it. I do live in the mountains, so I will get plenty of practice with the system.

I must add that I am extremely happy with the way this truck pulls a heavy load. The power is unbelievable! And I was also happy with the fuel milage, as I got 11.2 mpg on mountain roads and mostly up hill.
correct.. that is one area of tow haul feature..

on a downhill if u need to control speed, u can tap the brake and the tranny will downshift.

if you are crusing along, and press and hold the brake (emergency stop), then the tranny will downshift as well as use ABS to control stopping. I make sure to use this in the city all the time.. get nuts pulling out in front of you..

I haven't tried, but this also appears to happen in M shift mode, without tow/haul..

Sam

Old 05-01-2012, 03:07 PM
Chep
Senior User
Chep is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have been towing on the west coast and interior of British Columbia for years and this is definitely the best truck I have used. Haven't towed real heavy, only a 7K cargo trailer I customized and turned into a TH. I've towed it with both gas a 7.3, and now this one and man do I love the engine braking on the hills in this province. We have plenty of steep twisty, narrow roads and I feel so confident towing with this truck. I know this truck is overkill for what I presently tow but the plan is to step up to a fifth once I tire of getting in to those place you can't get into with a fifth. You know the ones that are 100kms up forest service roads that find you away from everyone. Heaven on earth!

Old 05-01-2012, 11:17 PM
marchare011
Posting Guru
Good deal! Getting used to your truck and the way she behaves and reacts requires different situations. Hopefully your confidence will increase as your experience factor grows. I'm sure it will.

Enjoy!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Truck downshifted to 2nd doing 40 mph downhill when I tapped the brakes!

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: