Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Door seal mod...

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 07:33 PM
schlepprock250
Cargo Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Door seal mod...

Hey guys,I started doing the door seal mod today.Road noise seems to be getting worse,I got some 3/8(ID) clear tubing,it is actually 1/2(OD),anyway I started with the drivers side rear door,(I didn't go any farther than the one door till I see how it's gonna settle)I won't go into the details of how we got it through the seal just yet but after we got it back on,the door was very hard to shut. I'm wondering if anyone has any fresh experience with this,I did some searching but nothing recent came up,I'm thinking after it heats up and cools off a few times it should start to give...any thoughts are appreciated...thanks...Phil

Old 04-29-2012, 08:30 PM
bama29fan
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Others have used 3/8 od. So maybe you are using to large. It may crush and work better in the long run though

Old 04-29-2012, 08:39 PM
schlepprock250
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by bama29fan
Others have used 3/8 od. So maybe you are using to large. It may crush and work better in the long run though
Yeah I was thinking that too,all the post I've read didn't say,so when I got to Lowes I looked at the 3/8(it was ID)it didn't look too big,and now that it's in it doesn't bulge the og seal at all...but I certainly don't like having to slam my doors,I fuss at the kids enough about that...LOL

Old 04-29-2012, 08:56 PM
RedBoat
Rather Be Floatin

Phil order a roll of this:
50 ft Roll 3/8 Surgical Tubing
This is the right stuff and alot cheaper than Lowes and the Home depot!
One roll is enough to do all 4 doors.

Old 04-29-2012, 09:13 PM
jt371
______

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This thread came at the perfect time, I was thinking about this just the other day.

Old 04-29-2012, 09:25 PM
crop harvester
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I used 3/8 od black surgical tubing from amazon .com. front pasenger door is just about right , the drivers door is a little to tight .have to either slam door or hold on to door to get completly latched.hoping it will relax with time ,have not installed on back doors ,they was sealing pretty good as is.

Old 04-29-2012, 09:26 PM
smithrock
Senior User
How do you secure it? My drivers door doesn't seal all the way. I can hear it, but only when I'm on the freeway

Old 04-29-2012, 09:32 PM
schlepprock250
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by smithrock
How do you secure it?
After removing the seal from the truck,I used a length of threaded rod to push through the seal,I then used black tape and wrapped it around the tubing securing it to the threaded rod,the threaded rod holds the tape very well,be sure to wrap it tight.My BIL pulled it back through the seal till it there was about three inches hanging out,we used some CRC silicon spray,but I think soapy warm water would do a better job of lubing it up,the silicon spray we used seemed to evaporate pretty quick.

Old 04-29-2012, 09:34 PM
JonathanN
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I used foam caulk saver on an OBS once... doors were hard to shut at first, but after the foam formed up a bit, the doors shut really nice. Thing is, an OBS can use 5/8" foam whereas an SD is only 3/8" or so... the 5/8" foam was hard enough as it was to get through without breaking, I can't imagine 3/8"! I don't like how hard the clear stuff is either. I think I might go with vacuum line or something similar...

Old 04-29-2012, 09:42 PM
clux
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by schlepprock250
Hey guys,I started doing the door seal mod today.Road noise seems to be getting worse,I got some 3/8(ID) clear tubing,it is actually 1/2(OD),anyway I started with the drivers side rear door,(I didn't go any farther than the one door till I see how it's gonna settle)I won't go into the details of how we got it through the seal just yet but after we got it back on,the door was very hard to shut. I'm wondering if anyone has any fresh experience with this,I did some searching but nothing recent came up,I'm thinking after it heats up and cools off a few times it should start to give...any thoughts are appreciated...thanks...Phil
Yep, made my doors close like a Chevy. I hate slamming doors so I took it back out.

Didn't do anything for the noise, either.

smithrock
Senior User
Originally Posted by schlepprock250
After removing the seal from the truck,I used a length of threaded rod to push through the seal,I then used black tape and wrapped it around the tubing securing it to the threaded rod,the threaded rod holds the tape very well,be sure to wrap it tight.My BIL pulled it back through the seal till it there was about three inches hanging out,we used some CRC silicon spray,but I think soapy warm water would do a better job of lubing it up,the silicon spray we used seemed to evaporate pretty quick.
I'll have to put this on my "to do" list. I always forget about it until I'm on the freeway!

bigb56
Cargo Master

Received 218 Likes on 148 Posts
I used 3/8" OD foam tubing from McMaster Carr. Stretched out the seal and dropped a long piece of 1/8" ball chain thru it which I used to pull a string in which I used to pull the tubing in. Two peeps helps so one can hold it straight for easier pulling.

Old 04-29-2012, 10:23 PM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I myself had some road and wind noise on my pass. door and I just adjusted the door striker in alittle on the post. Also on my drivers door I had a little wind leak at the top but the bottom was good. So I loosened the top hinge on the door side of hinge and moved the top of the door in about 1/8" and the wind noise was gone.
And an old school way of making sure you have a good seal is to put a dollar bill in the door/ weatherstrip and close door. If you can pull the bill out easy it is too loose but if you go to the bottom and you can't pull the bill out with a little drag. Then the top of door needs adjustment and bottom is good. So when you do the door seal mod you just made the bottom too tight and that causes a bind. So my suggestion is to make sure you adjust the doors at the hinges and striker to get a good fit. Also be careful not to bring the door in to much on the hinges or that too will cause the door to bind when closing. It is all a balancing act. Just my 2 cents

Old 04-29-2012, 10:25 PM
nookiemonster55
Senior User
did mine the other day less than an hour all 4 doors....man what a difference...that rear passenger door was driving me nuts!!! $14 dollars for the snake, $5 for can of silicone spray and $30 dollars I believe for a 50 foot roll of latex tubing... all is well now!!

There is a video on here somewhere of a fellow FTE'er doing driver side door btw.....

Old 04-29-2012, 10:59 PM
smithrock
Senior User
Originally Posted by nookiemonster55

There is a video on here somewhere of a fellow FTE'er doing driver side door btw.....
that's the door that I have the problem with! If you find that video lemme know! Thanks

Quick Reply: Door seal mod...