Sponsored by:

Excursion Roof Paint Cracking and Lifting

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 09:27 PM
wikdwest
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Excursion Roof Paint Cracking and Lifting

I happened to look at the top of my 04 Excursion yesterday and found the paint cracking and lifting off the roof. So the first thing I did was to come look here and see if it was a common issue. I searched and found a couple threads about this issue from 2 and 4 years ago. Apparently, the paint was applied too thick and that is why it cracks, lifts and breaks off. Some said they went to ford and ford has offered some type of discount on the repair.

But, that was years ago and I'm not sure if I think that ford is liable to fix this on an 8 year old vehicle.

Has anyone else had this problem with their Ex?

I uploaded a couple pictures of the spots.

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums - wikdwest's Album: Roof Paint Cracking - Picture

Old 04-28-2012, 09:46 PM
dvldog458
Elder User
Yeah mine has similar spots on my roof just a little smaller. I was thinking of just Rhino lining the whole roof to stop the cancer spread.

Old 04-28-2012, 10:02 PM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 930 Likes on 678 Posts
It's usually caused by the roof rack that rubs the paint thin over time. You can take the cross supports off or just keep after the remaining paint with waxing and moving them periodically.

Old 04-28-2012, 10:20 PM
wikdwest
Senior User
Originally Posted by wpnaes
It's usually caused by the roof rack that rubs the paint thin over time. You can take the cross supports off or just keep after the remaining paint with waxing and moving them periodically.
The reason I was looking at the roof is because I just got some crossbars because mine didn't have any when i bought it.

Old 04-28-2012, 10:55 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Fix it now

My Expedition had almost rusted through in <6 months

Old 04-28-2012, 11:39 PM
jh818
Cargo Master
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
I have the same problem. Gonna get it fixed soon and repaintes.

Name:  2011-08-15_17-20-06_282.jpg
Views: 4561
Size:  79.6 KB

Old 04-29-2012, 12:28 AM
Peace2Peep
Laughing Gas
Received 18 Likes on 6 Posts
I had the same thing and had to leave it with the dealer for a while and raise heck, but they did fix it under the ESP warranty last year...twice! I'm sure the cruddy job will require another repaint, meanwhile I've got star marks in the hood that will need addressing soon!

I was quoted around $750 for the roof stripped and repainted by a great shop.

Old 05-13-2012, 07:37 PM
wikdwest
Senior User
Roof Repair

I got 2 estimates to fix the roof:

The first place, a local body shop been in business 40 years quoted $2496 to fix the roof. Out of curiosity I asked what it would cost to repaint entire vehicle and he estimated about 7K.

The second place, Maaco quoted me $1220 to fix the roof. The cost to repaint the entire vehicle about 2K for their 2 stage paint. He also told me that I had some hail damage from last year on top so I should call my insurance company and tell them I had hail damage which caused the paint to crack and peel and now rust.

I don't want to throw that kind of money at fixing the roof and I don't think insurance will pay up so I think I will look into using bed liner up top.

Anyone know what kind of prep work I need to do for the bed liner? Obviously I need to go down to bare metal where the rust is and primer those spots, do I need to scuff the paint everywhere else that I'm going to apply the bed liner?

All input and suggestions are welcome. Thanks

Old 05-13-2012, 07:53 PM
Curt's05
Wiser by FTE

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
I raised my stock bars with a spacer, so a straps will fit under the bars.

Old 05-13-2012, 08:42 PM
Footy
Junior User
Originally Posted by Curt's05
I raised my stock bars with a spacer, so a straps will fit under the bars.
I would like to know exactly what you use for the spacer. I am planning to add a yakima safari rack but I will need to make the cross bars higher like you have done.

Old 05-14-2012, 09:37 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by wikdwest
I got 2 estimates to fix the roof:

The first place, a local body shop been in business 40 years quoted $2496 to fix the roof. Out of curiosity I asked what it would cost to repaint entire vehicle and he estimated about 7K.

The second place, Maaco quoted me $1220 to fix the roof. The cost to repaint the entire vehicle about 2K for their 2 stage paint. He also told me that I had some hail damage from last year on top so I should call my insurance company and tell them I had hail damage which caused the paint to crack and peel and now rust.

I don't want to throw that kind of money at fixing the roof and I don't think insurance will pay up so I think I will look into using bed liner up top.

Anyone know what kind of prep work I need to do for the bed liner? Obviously I need to go down to bare metal where the rust is and primer those spots, do I need to scuff the paint everywhere else that I'm going to apply the bed liner?

All input and suggestions are welcome. Thanks
when I toyed around with fixing my Expy roof, I went to Walmart and bought several cans of "Self etching Primer" that is designed for automotive use. You clean the area really well and all dirt/rust removed. Spray the primer down and ensure a nice even coating. Then paint using whatever you want.

I'd suggest that stuff. Use a sanding disc to remove all the current rust you have and scuff up the paint all over the entire roof that isn't rusting/damaged.

Whatever product you use for paint, I'd avoid personally the bedliner stuff that is textured. Non-textured should be fine. If you have textured, it will have lots of dips and low spaces where water can collect. Then the water can start working it's way through the top coat and begin the whole process anew

Old 05-14-2012, 10:17 AM
Eric H
Senior User
Put some POR15 on the rust before you repaint.

Old 05-14-2012, 10:45 AM
BuiltFordTough!
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Footy
I would like to know exactly what you use for the spacer. I am planning to add a yakima safari rack but I will need to make the cross bars higher like you have done.
Look into Thule they make some really good roof stuff. I have the cross bars on my excursion. The bases hook into the factory rails then the legs just snop onto that and can be removed with just a push of a button and can be locked too. Here some pics:

Old 05-14-2012, 02:09 PM
Footy
Junior User
Originally Posted by BuiltFordTough!
Look into Thule they make some really good roof stuff. I have the cross bars on my excursion. The bases hook into the factory rails then the legs just snop onto that and can be removed with just a push of a button and can be locked too. Here some pics:

That looks nice but I already have the yakima from my previous truck so that is why I need to know what type of spacer that Curtis 05 used.
Thanks

Old 07-15-2016, 09:47 PM
Al Yelton
5th Wheeling
I was quoted around $750 for the roof stripped and repainted by a great shop.[/QUOTE]

My 2000 has 4 paint peeling spots w/light rust under them. I was quoted $400 to scrape,seal,paint and clear. My truck is black with gold trim and roof. I think my quote is a great deal after reading others.

Quick Reply: Excursion Roof Paint Cracking and Lifting