1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

2002 f150, 5.4, slight missing at idle

Old 05-03-2012, 12:01 AM
SWAT KHAN
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kbsupercrew
Does the miss correct itself, or does it stay missing when you hold the pedal there?
im thinking of getting AEM dry air flow filter, do you think it will give me performance like K&N filter?( i mean MPG and throttle response and stop the fine dust).

Old 05-03-2012, 01:45 AM
Bluegrass 7
Lead Driver
Received 93 Likes on 74 Posts
Your laboring under misconceptions.
Replacing the stock airfilter will not net you any improvment in fuel mileage or throttle reponse in normal truck application.
For the miss at the higher rpm in P, look at cleaning the EVR.
It may be allowing enough vacuum to pass to the EGR causing it to open a small amount when it should be closed.
If the EGR opens just a small amount the engine can get rough running.
Good luck.

Old 05-03-2012, 02:12 AM
SWAT KHAN
Senior User
Originally Posted by Bluegrass 7
Your laboring under misconceptions.
Replacing the stock airfilter will not net you any improvment in fuel mileage or throttle reponse in normal truck application.
For the miss at the higher rpm in P, look at cleaning the EVR.
It may be allowing enough vacuum to pass to the EGR causing it to open a small amount when it should be closed.
If the EGR opens just a small amount the engine can get rough running.
Good luck.
Thanx bro, i tried too much finding threads where i can see pictures or good instructions on how to open EGR and how to clean it, do u know of any?
which air filter should i go with, honestly when i put my K&N in, the mpg meter shows at least 1.5 to 2 MPG improvement average, throttle response is better,
do u have any idea of how the AEM dry air filter is? good or not?

Old 05-03-2012, 06:37 AM
Bluegrass 7
Lead Driver
Received 93 Likes on 74 Posts
Don't know what monitor your using but your being misled by it.
You can not see a change that large from a filter change unless there is already a 'huge' restriction from the last filter.
Think about it this way.
In the throttle body is a throttle plate. This plate absolutly dictates the airflow into the motor, not the filter.
Under normal driving, this plate opening is quite small such that the filter has no restriction to that low amount of air passing through it.
The stock filter will pass more air than the motor can injest at any time under normal operation and even close to wide open throttle where you don't normally run..
The 5.4 motor uses the same element.
The EGR valve does not come apart.
It's vacuum operated.
All you can see is the pintel through the passage and apply vacuum from a hand pump for movement.
Follow the vacuum hose from the EGR back to the EVR and you will have that part to clean.
Your beginning to remind me of the last poster who came on and insisted he is getting 27 mpg out of a truck that normally averages between 14 and 17 mpg if driven easy.
I just run a 16.1 over a tank with a total stock motor but it's not the norm here with the gas I have to use although it was different gas than I normally run..
Any ways you do what you will about the intake. It's your money.
Good luck.

Old 05-03-2012, 04:38 PM
SWAT KHAN
Senior User
Originally Posted by Bluegrass 7
Don't know what monitor your using but your being misled by it.
You can not see a change that large from a filter change unless there is already a 'huge' restriction from the last filter.
Think about it this way.
In the throttle body is a throttle plate. This plate absolutly dictates the airflow into the motor, not the filter.
Under normal driving, this plate opening is quite small such that the filter has no restriction to that low amount of air passing through it.
The stock filter will pass more air than the motor can injest at any time under normal operation and even close to wide open throttle where you don't normally run..
The 5.4 motor uses the same element.
The EGR valve does not come apart.
It's vacuum operated.
All you can see is the pintel through the passage and apply vacuum from a hand pump for movement.
Follow the vacuum hose from the EGR back to the EVR and you will have that part to clean.
Your beginning to remind me of the last poster who came on and insisted he is getting 27 mpg out of a truck that normally averages between 14 and 17 mpg if driven easy.
I just run a 16.1 over a tank with a total stock motor but it's not the norm here with the gas I have to use although it was different gas than I normally run..
Any ways you do what you will about the intake. It's your money.
Good luck.
Along with the K&N filter i dis the Gott,s mod, i wouldnt believe my Kiwi MPG Monitor but why do i get the same kinda result from the tests i did, i tested new Wix filter 2 times an get 13-13.5 mpg average, and K&N will get me from 14 to 15.5 or 16 MPG Average, i used wix first, then k&n then wix then k&n, this is how i tested and both the times with each filter got the same, anyways i ordered AEM for better filteration than K&N, 47 dollars is no problem but it seems like there is not alot of load on engine with the gotts and high flow filter,
What do u call normal driving? I never go high than 2500rpm to the extreme when someone try to run with me, normally i let the tranny ahift below or at 2100 rpms and never go higher than it, its only in the first cpl gears, then shifts around 1800 rpms to third and i would say 1600 rpms to 4th gear, isnt this normal driving? What rpm,s range would u call normal and economical driving to get 16 mpg like you, any advice is appreciated , thanx.
(And do u try to reach the speed limit quickly or let the engine work normally to reach and keep rpms down?)