Reese Goose Box

Old 05-21-2015, 07:45 AM
golfgooroo
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Howdy. I swapped out the fifth wheel to the goose box on a new Forest River trailer 371REBH when we bought it. I love the concept, clean bed, and features of the goosebox. My question lies in the design of the ball attachment itself. Compared to other goose trailers, it appears that the goosebox attaches rather high on the ball.

I've looked inside of the receiver and the surfaces are in full contact but I just want to ensure no issues as we pull down the road. This is my first LARGE camper and gooseneck so looking for experienced opinions.

Thanks!

Old 05-21-2015, 09:00 AM
Sarge261
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Mine doesn't appear to be too high on the ball, I can try and snap a picture tomorrow when I pin up to see if you can compare it to yours. Ive towed more than 8k miles with mine so far and no issues to speak of...other than now it has a slow leak in the air system.

Sarge

Old 05-21-2015, 09:28 AM
golfgooroo
Senior User
Here's a pic of mine I took yesterday. Not mounted to the truck, but the ball is fully inserted the hitch as mentioned above.

Ford Truck Picture by golfgooroo | 3491783 | Ford-Trucks.com

Old 05-21-2015, 02:39 PM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,078 Likes on 980 Posts
Originally Posted by lhansman
I didn't realize that safety chains are required with a goose neck hitch but I will be installing them. It seems to me that it's less likely for a trailer to pop off a ball than it is for fifth wheel jaws to open but I will install them so I don't have any issues if I get pulled into one of the random checks they have started here in Ontario.

I see there are two plates on the underside of my goose box with 1/2" holes predrilled in them which I presume are attachment points for safety chain loops. I am going to install loops on the trailer and a shackle on the factory safety chain anchors. Then I will attach the chains with slip hooks and safety latches at both ends so I can completely remove the chains when parked. This will also allow me to attach the chains in the truck bed first and then attach to the Goose Box once hitched while standing on the ground.

Regards,

Lauren
They are NOT required in all states. Check your local requirements. Not required in Maryland.

Old 05-21-2015, 04:45 PM
Sarge261
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by golfgooroo
Here's a pic of mine I took yesterday. Not mounted to the truck, but the ball is fully inserted the hitch as mentioned above.

Ford Truck Picture by golfgooroo | 3491783 | Ford-Trucks.com
ls the coupler unlocked?

Old 05-22-2015, 07:39 AM
golfgooroo
Senior User
The coupler is locked. I lower it in the locked position and it swings from locked to unlocked back to locked.

Old 05-26-2015, 11:39 AM
Sarge261
Logistics Pro
Mine looked to be the same, the couple isn't that deep to begin with so I don't think its an issue, it never has been for me. The only difference is I always pin mine up unlocked and then lock it myself so I know for sure it locked.

Sarge

Old 06-21-2015, 08:58 PM
Super Duty DJ
More Turbo
Received 66 Likes on 44 Posts
Goosebox and Short Bed

Originally Posted by Sarge261
Lauren,

The Goose Box has been awesome, I have had no trouble with it what so ever, its user friendly, and I had my frame inspected on my 5er last year and there are no issues with that either.

I have towed about 10k with the goose box and I am very pleased with it. With the air bag and shocks on the box there is no chunking when going over uneven road surfaces and bridges. For me it was money well spent, and if you use an adapter lippert will void the frame warranty, which you already know.

Hope that helps, and any other questions let me know.

Sarge
Sarge,
I am wondering how the Goosebox is paired with the shortbed. I have a 2015 CCSB and I am looking at getting an RV probably in the next year or so. I really like the idea of the added maneuverability and shorter overall length with a fifth wheel, but I don't like the idea of filling my bed up with a 200 lb hitch assembly. Almost everything I have read very strongly suggests a slider hitch or similar on a short bed truck with a fifth wheel to avoid cab clearance issues. I guess I kind of look at it as not having any less truck to trailer angle available without a slider than I would typically get with a pull behind. What are your thoughts having used the Goosebox with your short bed?

Old 06-22-2015, 07:44 AM
Sarge261
Logistics Pro
It has worked out great for me. I can make about a 80* turn without cab to trailer nose issues. My 5er doesn't have a perfectly round nose though, it has dimples on either side of the nose cone so that gives me a little more room, I have actually had it at 90* with no issues....ofcourse my wife was watching me back up and I told her to watch the cab and nose of the trailer, her reply to me "there was still a little room left between them" lol gotta love em.

So I guess it all depends on the trailer nose, for me it works great with my set up.

I will try and snap a picture of the front of my 5er so you can see what Im talking about. I wanted to add a cab protector because I was nervous about the trailer and cab hitting, but I don't think I would have the room and knowing that I can put it in a 90* turn with out hitting is comforting for tight spots.

We have a baby on the way, so the domestic supervisor is talking about trading the 5er in for something a little bigger with washer/dryer and make a bunk house, if that's the case I will most likely be stepping up to a dually so an 8' bed maybe in mu future, with that being said I would still pick the goosebox as my hitch for sure.

Sarge

Old 06-30-2015, 03:52 PM
Super Duty DJ
More Turbo
Thanks Sarge, that's what I needed to know. Pictures would be awesome, but I understand how busy it can be preparing for the arrival of a baby. Congrats on the family expansion and best of luck with it as well.

Old 07-01-2015, 05:25 AM
lhansman
Senior User

20K Goose Box right side in 2015 F450

20K Goose Box from left side in 2015 F450

Attached are a couple of photos of the 20K Goose Box connection on my buddies F450. I have a bed slider in my truck and I wanted to have maximum clearance from the sides of the box so I purchased an additional 2-5/16" ball from Reese that has an additional 1" higher shoulder which you can see in the picture. It reduces your towing capacity from 30,000 to 26,500 but that is still enough for me.

Old 07-01-2015, 05:27 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,405 Likes on 1,001 Posts
No safety chains for the goose box?

Old 07-01-2015, 05:49 AM
lhansman
Senior User
That is one of this weekends projects. It does not come with the chains but there are two plates with 1/2" diameter holes in them that appear to be intended for attaching chains. I purchased one set of loops to install but did not like them and it took me a while to find something smaller that was strong enough and would work. I have to enlarge the holes to 5/8" in order to fit the new loops but I will do that this weekend.

Regards,

Lauren

Old 07-01-2015, 11:09 AM
Sarge261
Logistics Pro
When you do the chains can you take a picture and maybe a list of stuff you bought. Its on my list as well.

I haven't forgotten about the picture of my trailer for ya either, juts been busy.

Happy 4th Every Body!!!

Sarge

Old 07-01-2015, 08:29 PM
Super Duty DJ
More Turbo
Thanks for the pics Lauren.

No sweat on the pics Sarge, I understand how it can get busy.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Reese Goose Box