Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anyone have a Bull Bar on their Excursion?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 12:50 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
anyone have a Bull Bar on their Excursion?

Been wanting to add a Bull Bar to the front of my Excursion. Anyone have one on their Excursion? Any manufacturers you would recommend to go with or stay away from?

Old 04-28-2012, 08:24 AM
TrdLtly
TreadLightly
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good question Rich. I am considering the same thing. I like the full brush guards for deer protection, but then it is a pain to work around. I like the clean look of the bull bars.

I am partial to the black ones like:

My Ranch Hand brush guard I had on my F350 started peeling the black coating after a few of years. Considering all the abuse it took from all the highway driving I did with it I "would" probably buy one of their products again. I am sure that anything that is in front of the vehicle is going to take a lot of abuse from rocks and such. I like the idea of black, so that I can just hit it with the spray can once in a while.... but then again my X is black.

Old 04-28-2012, 09:33 AM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
I hear ya. One of my concerns is that I removed to valance supporrt bar (not sure the exact name of it) under the bumper when I did my lift. Not sure if this will be an issue or not.

Old 04-28-2012, 09:38 AM
TrdLtly
TreadLightly
Originally Posted by white Buffalo
I hear ya. One of my concerns is that I removed to valance supporrt bar (not sure the exact name of it) under the bumper when I did my lift. Not sure if this will be an issue or not.
PO removed mine. I am sure they all mount the same.... just need to see how they mount. I can't imagine that bar would matter as it is a safety device. Supposed to keep the X from swallowing little cars. LOL

Old 04-28-2012, 12:51 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by white Buffalo
Rich, you took out the blocker beam?

I guess you don't have to worry about picking a Prius out of your grille anymore because you'll just drive over 'em now!

Stewart

Old 04-28-2012, 01:14 PM
TrdLtly
TreadLightly
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
Rich, you took out the blocker beam?

I guess you don't have to worry about picking a Prius out of your grille anymore because you'll just drive over 'em now!

Stewart
What's a Prius?... Oh is that one of those battery powered "California" cars that has a bigger lifetime ozone foot prints then our Excursions?

We do actually see a few of those over here in Iowa, but not near as many as we used to see on the west coast. Rich probably doesn't see to many in SD either.

As far as the blocker beams go, I look at it this way: Don't get in the way next time. LOL

Old 04-28-2012, 01:17 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by TrdLtly
We do actually see a few of those ...
Well, I guess I see 'em. Hard not to look at 'em when I take the crowbar out and use it to unwedge 'em from my grille or the wife's Excursion grille.

Stewart

Old 04-28-2012, 01:20 PM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 929 Likes on 677 Posts
Save your pennies and get a real bumper/bull bar combo.

Attached Images  
Old 04-28-2012, 01:56 PM
TrdLtly
TreadLightly
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
Well, I guess I see 'em. Hard not to look at 'em when I take the crowbar out and use it to unwedge 'em from my grille or the wife's Excursion grille.

Stewart
That is funny. I can picture it.... caught another Prius for you Honey, but you have to remove it and clean it.

Originally Posted by wpnaes
Save your pennies and get a real bumper/bull bar combo.
Pennies? 180,000+ of them.

Old 04-28-2012, 04:40 PM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
i had an ebay bar on my old '04...it was the right price

Old 04-28-2012, 04:48 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Looking on Ebay as well, do u think I'll have any problems installing with the bash bar removed?

Old 04-28-2012, 05:12 PM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
none, has nothing to do with the mounting.

Old 04-28-2012, 05:58 PM
hasteranger
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
those style bars reduce your approach angle and they are weak as hell.. any hit just pushes them backwards into the grille. idk the ex shares the super duties massive tow hook points that most aftermarket grille guards bolt to, there is no reason to run tubes under the bumper like that. Its a weaker attachment method due to the leverage the bars exert on the mounting points if you ever hit anything.

Old 04-28-2012, 07:00 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Yeah, I was wondering about that when I watched some of the install videos on the internet. I would like to find something that you can actually use or be functional instead of just for show. I guess the bunper push bar comination might be the better choice. But then I should have done the X codes instead of the V codes maybee

Old 04-28-2012, 07:12 PM
TrdLtly
TreadLightly
Originally Posted by hasteranger
those style bars reduce your approach angle and they are weak as hell.. any hit just pushes them backwards into the grille. idk the ex shares the super duties massive tow hook points that most aftermarket grille guards bolt to, there is no reason to run tubes under the bumper like that. Its a weaker attachment method due to the leverage the bars exert on the mounting points if you ever hit anything.
LOL.... People actually worry about approach angle's on 7,000+ lb vehicles? That is hilarious. I would imagine that anyone that is really that serious about off roading will be using the X to get them there and the Bronco or Heep to play, but to each his own.

I don't think that anyone that puts a bull bar is thinking that it will actually protect anything. Most of the ones that I have seen are usually just light bars. That is the only reason that I am looking at them.

I guess if you are an off road enthusiast then I certainly hope that you would not have very high expectations for something like these.

Quick Reply: anyone have a Bull Bar on their Excursion?