Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

dp tuner radio interfearenc

Old 04-26-2012, 10:06 PM
red 1997 powerstroke
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dp tuner radio interfearenc

i recently installed a f5 dp tuner on my 7.3 power stroke and now i have terriable radio reception ive tried a antenna amplifier, moving the tuner cable, wrapping the tunner cable with tin foil and wrapping a wire around it and grounding and putting ferrit beads on the ends of it all with no effect the truck currently has a pioneer stero system conected to the oem ford wiring with an adaptor been fighting this problem for a wile now would like tp get fixed any help would be apreciated i also heard theres a forum on here that has the solution but i cant find that either

Old 04-26-2012, 11:22 PM
landmobile
Senior User
I'm assuming that FM radio is where you are experiencing the trouble and that it is only a problem when the engine is running. Radio interference from 7.3 engines is notorious in the VHF low band (30-50 MHz) used for two-way radios, but it usually quiets down in higher frequencies like the FM broadcast band (88-108 MHz).

The actual source of the interference is usually the high voltage lines that run from the IDM to the fuel injectors, but I'm not sure why the tuner would have any effect. It would be interesting to see if the noise stops when the engine is returned to stock. If it does, then the source might be something else.

Chris

Old 04-27-2012, 12:21 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by landmobile
I'm assuming that FM radio is where you are experiencing the trouble and that it is only a problem when the engine is running. Radio interference from 7.3 engines is notorious in the VHF low band (30-50 MHz) used for two-way radios, but it usually quiets down in higher frequencies like the FM broadcast band (88-108 MHz).

The actual source of the interference is usually the high voltage lines that run from the IDM to the fuel injectors, but I'm not sure why the tuner would have any effect. It would be interesting to see if the noise stops when the engine is returned to stock. If it does, then the source might be something else.

Chris
Since you have the F5, stock mode should be available to you... I'd try every tune you have and check what the effect is.

Old 04-27-2012, 05:41 AM
Crewcab Turbo
Fleet Mechanic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I had radio noise Also with my DP tuner. All I did to fix it was to re route the switch wire away from the main fuse panel under the dash. I have a factory radio and no problems now. Where do you have your switch? Pillar or dash mount? Don't bother with foil or anything just move the wire away from the fuse panel.

Old 04-27-2012, 08:15 AM
ttttmaxx
Senior User
Dang just wrote a lengthy reply to your problem and my computer glitched and lost it. So here is the short version. I had the same problem for a couple years and just put up with it until recently when a friend of mine (Who repairs computers) suggested a cure. Go to radio shack and buy some snap on ferrites. I did this myself when I was attempting to fix my problem but apparently bought the wrong ones. My friend told me to buy the square Ferrites NOT THE ROUND ONES. Bought 2 of them and attached one as close to the PCM as I could get and the other as close to the switch as possible. Turned the radio on and to the RUN position and PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!!Been fighting this for years and basically just bought the wrong ferrites. Hope this helps

Old 04-27-2012, 10:08 AM
cutlass
Elder User
Originally Posted by ttttmaxx
Dang just wrote a lengthy reply to your problem and my computer glitched and lost it. So here is the short version. I had the same problem for a couple years and just put up with it until recently when a friend of mine (Who repairs computers) suggested a cure. Go to radio shack and buy some snap on ferrites. I did this myself when I was attempting to fix my problem but apparently bought the wrong ones. My friend told me to buy the square Ferrites NOT THE ROUND ONES. Bought 2 of them and attached one as close to the PCM as I could get and the other as close to the switch as possible. Turned the radio on and to the RUN position and PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!!Been fighting this for years and basically just bought the wrong ferrites. Hope this helps
Never mind, I answered the question I posted here by reading through your post more thoroughly.

Thanks,
Drake

Old 04-27-2012, 10:17 AM
ttttmaxx
Senior User
Yes, At each end. Close as you can get to the PCM and the Switch. It was an impressive fix for a $10 cost. I litterally drove myself crazy trying to fix this problem to no luck until these Ferrites were placed on the cable. Some people might not even care about interference with FM stations but I happen to listen to a couple stations I liked which were being affected by the RFI. By the way Jody (DPtuner) was the one who originally set me down the Ferrite path. I just bought the round ones and they did not seem to work so I gave up until this weekend. USE THE SQUARE ONES!!

Old 04-27-2012, 12:56 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
It is no secret that the F5 DP tuner can cause radio interference. This is obvious to any DP tuner owners who also have HIDs. You need to get those little RF nugget things and put them on your tuner.

Do a search for "DP Tuner + HID" on google and see how many results you get.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-and-hids.html

Old 04-27-2012, 10:28 PM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I had interference with my DP F-5 while cruising down the highway years ago after keying my CB mic, my truck stalled. I coasted to the side of the road, stopped, cycled the key and it restarted. Called on Jody and Diane from DP and they told me to reroute my tuner cable away from the CB and related equipment and all's fine now, been fine for over 3 years now.

Old 04-27-2012, 11:55 PM
red 1997 powerstroke
Junior User
yea jodie at dp tunner told me to do the ferrite thing to but i did not no there were different types of ferrits ive been usin the round ones this whole time and the same thing what do the square ones look like do they still clip around the wire like the round 1s?

Old 04-28-2012, 01:01 AM
CSIPSD
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Why was my post removed? When is this interference issue going to stop being swept under the rug? Is it going to take someone getting seriously hurt before we stop blaming "cheap" hid lights or cheap aftermarket stereos?

The issue is not the lights or stereo... its the random kill switch you have installed. Its called a F5 or F6!

You will not have any issues with a ts style chip, ever...

Old 04-28-2012, 05:12 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by CSIPSD
Why was my post removed? When is this interference issue going to stop being swept under the rug? Is it going to take someone getting seriously hurt before we stop blaming "cheap" hid lights or cheap aftermarket stereos?

The issue is not the lights or stereo... its the random kill switch you have installed. Its called a F5 or F6!

That's one vote against keeping the F5. I'll offer a counterpoint - I stalled once, but I have seen no reception difference before/after my F6 chip. I properly installed the F6, as well as all my electronics, but I failed to follow the operating instructions on the F6 to cause that isolated stall. I follow the instructions and I have never had the stall re-occur.

Old 04-28-2012, 06:12 AM
Deluxe06
4000 rounds a min
Here's a little read on these little ferrites and how they work.found it kinda interesting.
Filtering Out Interference Signals with Cable Ferrites

Old 04-28-2012, 12:36 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Tugly
That's one vote against keeping the F5. I'll offer a counterpoint - I stalled once, but I have seen no reception difference before/after my F6 chip. I properly installed the F6, as well as all my electronics, but I failed to follow the operating instructions on the F6 to cause that isolated stall. I follow the instructions and I have never had the stall re-occur.
Routing cables around other electronic devices is like taking Ibuprofen for a broken leg. Yeah it will help, but its only covering up the problem. You need to go to a doctor to get it fixed.

Routing the wires away just masks the problem, fact is there is interference and its causing problems, fix it, dont just make it go away.

Old 04-29-2012, 02:37 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 57 Likes on 30 Posts
Joe let it go!
Originally Posted by CSIPSD

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: dp tuner radio interfearenc