What's the deal with the v10? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines

What's the deal with the v10?

Old 04-26-2012, 06:49 PM
mikewhite85
New User
mikewhite85 is starting off with a positive reputation.
What's the deal with the v10?

I have been looking around for 3/4 or 1 ton work truck in the 4-6k range. I see a lot of early 2000's V10's.

Are they any good? Or should I go for the smaller gas engine? 5.4 or something. Truck will mostly be used to haul around my stump grinder throw chainsaws and such in the back.

I would like a 7.3dsl from 99-03 if I can find one for the right price. I heard it's wise to stay away from the 6.0 dsl. Many horror stories.

Old 04-26-2012, 07:03 PM
krusterzf-350
Junior User
krusterzf-350 is starting off with a positive reputation.
V10 is the same engine as the 5.4, it just has two more cylinders. I think the gas mileage is pretty similar between the two. I have a v10 and am happy with it. It has plenty of power for what I do, and has been very reliable. It only has 90,000 miles on it though.....

Old 04-26-2012, 07:58 PM
Big pappa
New User
Big pappa is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have a 2001 v10 4x4. My air has been going to defrost, unless I click my 4 wheel drive switch to on then comes back through vents till you drive down the road..... NEED help Please....... Driving me crazy.

Old 04-26-2012, 08:22 PM
Sand_Man
Posting Guru
Sand_Man has much to be proud ofSand_Man has much to be proud ofSand_Man has much to be proud ofSand_Man has much to be proud ofSand_Man has much to be proud ofSand_Man has much to be proud ofSand_Man has much to be proud ofSand_Man has much to be proud ofSand_Man has much to be proud of
If you're looking for a truck, I don't think I'd get a 5.4 in a Super Duty. It's not that they are bad motors, in fact they are just as reliable as the V10. But they also get the same mileage, so why not get the big motor?

Old 04-26-2012, 08:33 PM
krusterzf-350
Junior User
krusterzf-350 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I agree unless you get a smoking hot deal on the 5.4 and don't plan abusing the v-8...
Originally Posted by Sand_Man View Post
If you're looking for a truck, I don't think I'd get a 5.4 in a Super Duty. It's not that they are bad motors, in fact they are just as reliable as the V10. But they also get the same mileage, so why not get the big motor?

Old 04-26-2012, 08:55 PM
kd0axs
Posting Guru
kd0axs has a great reputation on FTE.kd0axs has a great reputation on FTE.kd0axs has a great reputation on FTE.kd0axs has a great reputation on FTE.kd0axs has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Big pappa View Post
I have a 2001 v10 4x4. My air has been going to defrost, unless I click my 4 wheel drive switch to on then comes back through vents till you drive down the road..... NEED help Please....... Driving me crazy.
You have a vacuum leak. The HVAC system is controlled by vacuum, so for safety reasons it defaults to defrost in the case of low vacuum.

Old 04-26-2012, 09:04 PM
Big pappa
New User
Big pappa is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thank you any suggestions on tracking it?

Old 04-26-2012, 09:10 PM
kd0axs
Posting Guru
kd0axs has a great reputation on FTE.kd0axs has a great reputation on FTE.kd0axs has a great reputation on FTE.kd0axs has a great reputation on FTE.kd0axs has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by mikewhite85 View Post
I have been looking around for 3/4 or 1 ton work truck in the 4-6k range. I see a lot of early 2000's V10's.

Are they any good? Or should I go for the smaller gas engine? 5.4 or something. Truck will mostly be used to haul around my stump grinder throw chainsaws and such in the back.

I would like a 7.3dsl from 99-03 if I can find one for the right price. I heard it's wise to stay away from the 6.0 dsl. Many horror stories.
Both gas engines are very reliable. The V-10 obviously has more power than the 5.4, but will use a little more gas. The difference is typically 1-2 MPG.

The horror stories about the 6.0 are largely blown out of proportion. They are not without issues, but proper maintenance goes a long way. The 6.0 and newer diesels are much more maintenance intensive than the 7.3. If they are neglected, they will have problems. With a little time and money invested in them, the 6.0 can be "bulletproofed" and is then a very reliable engine.

If your budget allows, look for a 2005+ truck. The Super Duty got several upgrades in 2005 including the more powerful 3V gas engines, 5R110 TorqShift transmission, larger brakes, coil spring front suspension, and the integrated trailer brake controller.

Old 04-26-2012, 09:25 PM
kd0axs
Posting Guru
I guess I missed the part that you were looking for something in the $4-6K range. That sounds about right for an early 2000s gasser. It's unlikely you will find a decent diesel truck in that price range. Most anything with a 7.3 is still going to go for $10K+ unless it has very high miles or isn't in very good condition.

Old 04-26-2012, 09:39 PM
Fordfanatic4life
Postmaster
Fordfanatic4life has a very good reputation on FTE.Fordfanatic4life has a very good reputation on FTE.Fordfanatic4life has a very good reputation on FTE.Fordfanatic4life has a very good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Big pappa View Post
Thank you any suggestions on tracking it?
make sure the ESOF vacum lines going down to the front end at knuckles is connected and not pinched/cracked or leaking.

Old 04-26-2012, 10:44 PM
Boss08v10
Elder User
Boss08v10 is a splendid one to beholdBoss08v10 is a splendid one to beholdBoss08v10 is a splendid one to beholdBoss08v10 is a splendid one to beholdBoss08v10 is a splendid one to beholdBoss08v10 is a splendid one to beholdBoss08v10 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by mikewhite85 View Post

A pretty close friend of mine just traded his 99 F250 V10 and it had 419,000 miles on it. He bought it new. I own one and I think they are pretty damn good. All depends on the maintenance history. I too think the 6.0 gets a pretty bad rap, I owned two of those and the only issue I had, I caused by tuning the heck out it. I have no doubt I will own another 6.0 down the road. Just do your own due diligence researching their issues.

Old 04-26-2012, 11:16 PM
MOpartsguy
Senior User
MOpartsguy is starting off with a positive reputation.
My 99 v10 has 135K on it. Best truck I've ever had, hands down. I daily drive it, and the mileage is less than satisfying, but I would not get a V8. Once you get used to the truck, you know what makes your foot happy, and your wallet equally as happy. I do maintenance as needed, however this truck is very dependable. The 4R100 is a very respectable tranny if it's been treated right. I have a manual Transfer case and hubs, Seems a lot of people have problems with the auto t-case. With my 35's, this thing still rides well, while looking snappy. I average 9 mpg with a 12 mile round trip commute thru town. Consists of roughly 4 miles at 55 MPH, the following 2 miles are a 35 MPH zone. Throw in a s**tload of stoplights. You either time them or you don't. out on the hwy I can grab 14 MPG. I am noticing a 1-2 MPG difference with a 50 series flowmaster.

Did I mention I drive past 2 college campuses on my commute Gotta love spring.

Old 04-27-2012, 12:18 PM
SuperDutyScaler
Post Fiend
SuperDutyScaler has a great reputation on FTE.SuperDutyScaler has a great reputation on FTE.SuperDutyScaler has a great reputation on FTE.SuperDutyScaler has a great reputation on FTE.SuperDutyScaler has a great reputation on FTE.SuperDutyScaler has a great reputation on FTE.
V8 and V10 is the same MPG around town, or highway. V10 has much better HP and TQ then the V8, i have the V8 with tons of upgrades its a ok motor its should only have been put in the F150's but..... If i ever get the money to buy a truck it will either be a V10 or a 2003 F350 with the 7.3 diesel. Id buy the V10 if i were u, same MPG and tons more power its a no brainer

Old 04-27-2012, 01:08 PM
MDSuperDuty
Postmaster
MDSuperDuty is a splendid one to beholdMDSuperDuty is a splendid one to beholdMDSuperDuty is a splendid one to beholdMDSuperDuty is a splendid one to beholdMDSuperDuty is a splendid one to beholdMDSuperDuty is a splendid one to beholdMDSuperDuty is a splendid one to behold
I think the biggest advantage to the V10 over the V8 is that the V10 gets its peak power at lower rpms. More torque/HP without the need to crank up the rpms way high (although high enough). I know the 3V 5.4 may have higher numbers than the 2V V10 but I wonder if the peak 2V v10 numbers would be similar to the 3V V8's at the V10's peak rpms...... I know that my DRW Crew Cab V10 gets 1-1.5 mpg less than the 06 Ext Cab SRW 5.4. A bigger truck with extra tires creating more drag and only getting 1mpg less.....I'll take that. I used the V10 the other day with my dump trailer and it moved much better with the same load than the 5.4 did and I'm not one to wind up the rpms. It's the larger amount of torque an horsepower and the lower rpm that I feel makes it better. And of course the 7.3 will do the job. As much as the 7.3 is a great motor one thing I like about my gasser is that is is sooo quiet. I've been in a few 7.3's, a 2002 Cummins, and a 6.0, and they were so loud that it really made me not want them. Granted the 6.0 was a single cab XL so there may have been less sound deadening material. But that may be a minor inconvenience to some and probably lessened by adding sound deadening material. Again still a great motor just the noise was a deal breaker, for me. Now the 6.7, wow, amazingly quiet.

Old 04-27-2012, 02:38 PM
blackedout250
New User
blackedout250 is starting off with a positive reputation.
My 2000 F-250 has 250,000+ miles on it, still runs great (mainly because I take care of it). If you cant find a 7.3 then a 6.8 would be the way I would go. Good Luck!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What's the deal with the v10?

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.