6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Degas bottle - Tee kit - on Warranty Hist - where is it?

Old 04-26-2012, 03:50 PM
FBG 08
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Degas bottle - Tee kit - on Warranty Hist - where is it?

Hey everyone - I recently bought an '08 F350 Lariat crew cab dually - bought it via ebay from lot that deals strictly in HD trucks (mostly coming from repo/auction) - had 97k on the dial and got it for $23.5k - it is super clean and I absolutely love it so far. Had a Ram 1500 but it just wouldn't cut it pulling my new big camper. Now I have diesel fever and can't wait to do the exhaust and tune it.

Anyway - I finally got the OASIS and warranty history and the only thing on there is a T-kit that was done at the dealer before the sale to the original owner. However, when I look at my degas bottle, there is only one fitting on it and it isn't attached to what my research indicates to be the tee kit related to the service bulletin.

Did this actually not get put on? Do I have a different degas bottle that wasn't subject to the bulletin but the put it in the history anyway?

Here's a pic of my degas bottle and a pic I found of one with the Tee installed (mines actually the bottom one).

Thanks for your learned opinions and insight!

Old 04-26-2012, 05:45 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,404 Likes on 1,000 Posts
You got it...you have the updated degas bottle...and right away I see a concern. Pic is hard to tell but either you are low on coolant or you don;t have the ford gold coolant in it.

Old 04-26-2012, 05:57 PM
FBG 08
New User
Originally Posted by senix
You got it...you have the updated degas bottle...and right away I see a concern. Pic is hard to tell but either you are low on coolant or you don;t have the ford gold coolant in it.
Well, it's hard to tell due to the greyish/blackish discoloration on the degas bottle (much less from the pic), but the coolant level is right at the cold fill level*, maybe a hair below. I pulled out a little coolant and it seems to be clean, but I'm not sure what kind it is (looks a little yellowish). The cold fill level is below the outlet/neck on the degas bottle, which I assume is correct since I assume the outlet/neck is an overflow mechanism (right part of t goes back to the radiator, left part goes to something on top of the engine near the intake) and you'd only want it going out the outlet in case of problems.

I'm hoping the discoloration of the degas bottle is just from normal hose wear/breakdown and not something more serious.
*actually it's about 3/4 of the way to the top of the cold fill 'range', about 1/4" below the top of the cold fill range. Mopping around in the black stuff in there it seems 'rubbery' or 'sticky'
Thanks for the answer

Old 04-26-2012, 06:27 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Well not to rattle your nerves but I don't think your oasis is up to date. That degas bottle was not out when that truck was built. Only the venturi T to the best of my knowledge.

So that means there has been either a radiator or maybe a t stat failure or something.

Which is ok..it has been repaired and that is what you want.

But the color that I am seeing is a concern. I bet if you check the nitrates they will be non existent.

I think that if you got any warranty or anything or even out of pocket I would do the coolant flush on it.

Old 04-26-2012, 07:12 PM
FBG 08
New User
Originally Posted by senix
Well not to rattle your nerves but I don't think your oasis is up to date. That degas bottle was not out when that truck was built. Only the venturi T to the best of my knowledge.

So that means there has been either a radiator or maybe a t stat failure or something.

Which is ok..it has been repaired and that is what you want.

But the color that I am seeing is a concern. I bet if you check the nitrates they will be non existent.

I think that if you got any warranty or anything or even out of pocket I would do the coolant flush on it.
Not rattled, this is the type of info I want. I did consider the possibility that some repairs were done that didn't show on the OASIS (possibly non dealer for some reason?). How else would the OASIS not be up to date? Either way, there is a about 2500 miles left under the engine warranty (the 100k one). I'm assuming the flush isn't under warranty, but you're thinking the flush might reveal something that might be covered? What causes the nitrates to 'go away'. It does seem rather diluted. At this point it doesn't smoke, has no blow by, no leaks no nothin. Only thing I've found was a clogged up HFCM and sensor (which I cleaned out and replaced with filters) and a tiny slit in the lower turbo boot (on which I've put a temporary patch until I get another boot). I'm looking for a reason to take it in for service before the warranty is over, but I can't find anything wrong. Maybe this is that opportunity - radiator flush.

I've already taken it on a couple of 100 mile trips and hauled my camper on one of those since I got it and have another planned for Sat. Is doing the flush something I need to do before the trip? OK, maybe you do have me a little rattled

Old 04-26-2012, 07:30 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Take it in for the 11B23 recall. That is an update flash for the pcm. It is able to detect issues better than the current flash.

Coolant flush is non warranty. Nitrates will slowly degrade over time. There is nothing you can do except recharge the nitrates. In your case a flush appears to be warranted.

The right chemical balance assists with corrison and cavitation so very important.

Dealer maybe expense but if you have a quick lane in town try them...they are still ford.

The quicklane cannot do the flash though.