Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Talk about the snow ball effect....

Old 04-25-2012, 08:30 PM
AzPete
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talk about the snow ball effect....

Thursday, we all ( wife, daughter, grandson and myself) piled in the Bronco and went out for dinner with friends. On the way, the clunk in the drive shaft suddenly got real loud.....16 miles across town. Then, 5 miles from the restaurant, the whining started. On the 16 miles home, it got real bad so I called a friend and he said I could come over the next day and R&R the U-joints.

Next morning (Fri), I had to drive 4 miles to his house....that U-joint was screaming the entire way. Took a bit but got the rear shaft out. Now, there was very little play in the joint but once removed, it was all I could do to pivot the joint by standing on the flange and pushing the shaft. Could not move it by hand.

Two caps had no needles.....just rust. The other two were dry as could be. Easy fix.....until the spicer joint came apart......dang. Finally got the joints all in and the spicer joint back in place. Drives like a dream.

Then, Sunday a friend needs help loading his stuff on a trailer for Monday move about a mile. Then, he asks if we can help his folks move on Monday, about 35 miles one way. Get the 2nd trailer on and off we go......Lower the back window for some air and the switch falls into the dash.....crap....I knew it had issues but why now. Oh well, the gate switch works.

Then, go to roll up the passenger window and it stops half way and needs help, plus it does not like staying up when you close the door....drops about an inch. Double crap......but the drive shaft is smooth and silent.

Two days and two tanks of gas later, I take the dash apart again.....Both the 4x4 and window switch mountings are trashed. Got out the JB weld and rebuilt them as a temp fix until I locate a used one some day. Working good. Oh, did I forget to mention that the mounting points for the dash bezel have fallen apart also....another JB weld temp fix.

Pulled the motor on the passenger door and the plastic ***** inside were trashed. Replaced them with some steel bearing ***** I had laying around and a touch of lube and the window now flies up better than it ever has.

Now, hopefully, this Fri. we will R&R the leaking oil pan gasket......then, I think I can drive it with no issues.

Oh, wait....the EGR still throws a check engine light.....ahhhhh retirement......heck, another time.

Gotta love the Broncos.....but that 01 Lightning down the road sure is tempting.......where's my credit card......

Oh, and just a bit tired from 2 days of moving....and then repairs to the Bronco...I am getting a beer.
Thanks for listening.....lol

Old 04-26-2012, 12:12 PM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 120 Likes on 116 Posts
When it rains it pours... Sorry to hear about all the problems you have been having with your Bronco.

Jim

Old 04-26-2012, 02:09 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Man that kinda sucks, sounds like repairs are going.... well going. When i did my 3 u-joints on my 78 i think i maybe had at least 1 cap that had all the needles, the rest were either all gone or missing most and filled with rust and other crap. I also had one broken cap where the metal had broke at the base of it near the nonexistent rubber dirt guard.
Unfortunately this is the only picture i got as of yet... I thought i had more

But mine were ALL dry, and my driveline had started squeaking for a while.
As for my windows my OEM switch for the dash is gone, and the gate one doesn't work. I have manual windows and the driver one works great but the passenger one is super hard to roll up and down. I have yet to pull the door panel apart to look at it. Hope everything goes smoothly for a while for you, all this stuff happening can be quite the downer....

Old 04-26-2012, 03:05 PM
Zip
FTE Legend
Received 166 Likes on 105 Posts
Well at least you guys have two drive shafts. On of mine is MIA. Previous owners put on headers. Don't know yet if that was to make the install easier or it actually wont clear the header. Guess I need to take a closer look.

Old 04-27-2012, 01:24 PM
AzPete
Posting Guru
Well, the snowball keeps on rolling....

Did the oil pan gasket today. Used the one piece Felpro and it was real easy to do. Drop the pan. slip out the old, slide the new over the pan and line it up, install pan and bolt in.

Of course, I discovered the slight odor of coolant I had the other day.....heater core as I thought. I must say.....that was the easiest heater core I have ever changed......30 mins. tops.

Still got to do the EGR valve but at least we are making progress. The good thing with this Bronco is it has always been driven home.....no tow truck.

Old 04-27-2012, 01:25 PM
AzPete
Posting Guru
Well, the snowball keeps on rolling....

Did the oil pan gasket today. Used the one piece Felpro and it was real easy to do. Drop the pan. slip out the old, slide the new over the pan and line it up, install pan and bolt in.

Of course, I discovered the slight odor of coolant I had the other day.....heater core as I thought. I must say.....that was the easiest heater core I have ever changed......30 mins. tops.

Still got to do the EGR valve but at least we are making progress. The good thing with this Bronco is it has always been driven home.....no tow truck.

Old 04-27-2012, 04:14 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Thats good to hear. I did the heater core on my 88 ranger and it was also super easy, the plastic housing was right where the passengers feet are and took about 10 minutes to do. The hardest part was finding long enough wood screws to bolt the cover back up since my new core was slightly bigger that the old...

Old 04-28-2012, 09:28 AM
Edgethis
Lead Driver
Received 362 Likes on 273 Posts
Its never finished with these Broncos. But like you I have to agree that my Bronco has always been able to limp home on its own power.

Forget the Lightning, pick up a classic Mustang!

Old 04-28-2012, 04:19 PM
AzPete
Posting Guru
Classic Mustangs....hmmmm

Started in about '98 with a rusted '66 Coupe...restored it a bit resto-mod with a 302 and an AOD....sweet. Finished in 06, sold in 08.

Wife bought me a complete '66 Coupe with a 289/3 speed so I had one to show and one to drive to work. Sold mid 07 to pay wifes med. bills.

Had an '87 GT/HO for about 2 days before a friend doubled my money....no pics though.

Sold them in Az. and moved to Fl.

Bought a '68 Coupe and decided I did not want a major restoration job so I flipped it in late 08.

Bought a semi complete '66 Coupe with a wicked 302 and C4 auto. Finished it and ran the tail off it. Had a few body issues due to the previous owners lack of ability and I did not want to go that far into it so I sold it in 09.

Bought a '66 Coupe from a friend in Ca. Had it inspected by some others I know there... Shipped it here to Fl and it was a strong 302 and AOD...smoke the tires at 50 mph if ypu wanted to. Found out some issues with the front floor pans and would involve removing the entire front end....sold it in '10

I did not want to do major work on them any more since I have been restoring and rebuilding vehicles since jr. high school in '67.

Plus having an '01 GT Vert, Az

and an '07 GT Vert, Az/Fl

and currently driving an '11 GT California Special.... Fl

...and I am still a few dollars ahead...lol

I am kinda looking for something different....

Old 04-28-2012, 04:58 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Holy crap dude, thats a ton of stangs... we have had a lot in my family too but not so many older ones. We have had a lot of foxbodies and my first car was one. they happen to be among my favorite, of the mustang family. I love the older ones too and the SN95 bodies are cool, i am still warming up to the newer bodies. Not my favorite but i still like em.
I don't have any pictures of the older stang we had and only a few foxes. Then i have some of my parents current Mach 1s
this is my 82 fox, i never really like the 4 eyes till i got this. I loved it for what it was, i wish i would have done more work to it but i was afraid of breaking something and not being able to fix it.

And this is it at the end of it's road.

You can see both mustangs a little in this one

Front of my moms mach next to TGM

And finally, probably my moms favorite car she has ever had. It was her 91 triple black (rare) GT convertable, she loved it but we had to sell it due to bills needing payed.

Thats all i really have right now, we have had a few older ones but not many

Old 04-28-2012, 05:09 PM
Edgethis
Lead Driver
Received 362 Likes on 273 Posts
Wow that is alot of Mustangs. I can see that something different would be fun. I think a Plymouth Prowler would be a really fun project car.

Alright Gruesome, time to find a classic mustang for the Summer!

Old 04-28-2012, 07:10 PM
AzPete
Posting Guru
I also think about a T-Bucket......

Old 04-28-2012, 11:07 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Edgethis
Wow that is alot of Mustangs. I can see that something different would be fun. I think a Plymouth Prowler would be a really fun project car.

Alright Gruesome, time to find a classic mustang for the Summer!
Haha ya, another summer project eh?
As for the Prowler correct me if i'm wrong but your talking about this right:
Plymouth Prowler - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ?
IMO (remember this <---) I hate them... Their uncomfortable and shake a lot when idling, and if your over 5'5" your too tall with the top up >.>

Old 04-30-2012, 04:00 PM
BoomTown96
Freshman User
Mustang talk huh! I know im not really known on this site anyway but the reason I havent been on here much is because I bought a 96 Cobra recently that I've been working on. Vortech with after cooler and some other goodies about 475 RWHP. Also have a 96 GT that im having trouble deciding if I want to get rid of or not. Heres some pics.

Old 04-30-2012, 05:04 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Nice cars BoomTown, the only problems i had with those style cars was that i really disliked the holes in the hood, and i didnt fancy the striped brake lights. Otherwise their pretty cool cars. If i could i would re-vamp the nose end on one of those to a slightly newer style around 04 ish, and the same with the tail lights THEN i would throw the sequential lighting on it

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Talk about the snow ball effect....