1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

the official OBS diesel off topic thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 08:11 AM
Awitte58
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good morning indeed!

Since you guys respond quickly.. do either of ya know where would be the best place to take the lock tumbler? Like you take out the clip from the side of the door to remove the actual part the key goes into.

I soaked it in a good penetrant/lubricant for a few days. Still no luck. when i insert the key it looks like they all become pretty flush, but still wont turn.
I tried both my original key and the spare... and both of those work in the driver side lock and the ignition but not the passenger side door.

Curious where I might take it.. would O'reillys be able to get me another or does it need to be a locksmith deal. I almost kind of hope o'reillys does just have spares for these, but then again older trucks and such didnt have much in the ways of 'security'
Im just happy its a double sided key! lol
Maybe it can be fixed?

Old 09-26-2012, 08:18 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Awitte58
Good morning indeed!

Since you guys respond quickly.. do either of ya know where would be the best place to take the lock tumbler? Like you take out the clip from the side of the door to remove the actual part the key goes into.

I soaked it in a good penetrant/lubricant for a few days. Still no luck. when i insert the key it looks like they all become pretty flush, but still wont turn.
I tried both my original key and the spare... and both of those work in the driver side lock and the ignition but not the passenger side door.

Curious where I might take it.. would O'reillys be able to get me another or does it need to be a locksmith deal. I almost kind of hope o'reillys does just have spares for these, but then again older trucks and such didnt have much in the ways of 'security'
Maybe it can be fixed?
Hmm, I'm not too sure on that one. I have some spares, but it wouldn't do you any good to have one side with a different key. I am in the same boat as you are with my truck. BOTH of mine are completely frozen up. Good think I have keyless entry. I just planned to change the ignition cylinder to match the new doors I will be swapping on when I finally get around to doing my body work.

Old 09-26-2012, 08:40 AM
tshrager
Lead Driver
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Mine started to get real sticky to turn, so I squirted powdered graphite in them last winter. Haven't a problem since.

Old 09-26-2012, 08:42 AM
Awitte58
Postmaster
LOL lets hope the PL motors dont give out or your receiver for the keyless entry doesnt go!
man thatd suck.
But yeah I guess ill have to take some time and go ask o'reillys.

Im gettin sick of driving around with tape over the exterior and the inside door removed.
I had a date the other night and it just looks bad. lol

It was okay tho... she said "hey its a truck.. and its a dam nice one for the year!"

Old 09-26-2012, 08:46 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
LOL lets hope the PL motors dont give out or your receiver for the keyless entry doesnt go!
man thatd suck.
But yeah I guess ill have to take some time and go ask o'reillys.

Im gettin sick of driving around with tape over the exterior and the inside door removed.
I had a date the other night and it just looks bad. lol

It was okay tho... she said "hey its a truck.. and its a dam nice one for the year!"
Yeah, I had the keyfob quit on me at one point and locked me out of the truck. Had to get a new (used) one and just leave the truck unlocked for a week or so. I can always pry the back window open if I get locked out, and now I carry one of those "universal OBS wing window keys" with me in the toolbox in the bed. I figure A - nobody wants to steal my truck (unless they were an out-of-work school bus driver who just wanted a joy ride for old times' sake) and B - if they did, they would figure out a way to get it whether it is locked or not.

Old 09-26-2012, 12:58 PM
mkeith54
Freshman User
Mr

Good morning indeed!

Maybe it can be fixed?
Mine was the same way and I tried the same things you have. The very last thing I did was to use an ultra sonic cleaner from harbor freight and simple green. The cleaner has a heat cycle and after three time the drivers started working, the passenger side appeared that the tumblers were all lined up but it would not turn. I went to a lock smith and he fooled with it for a couple of minutes and found that if you pulled the key back just a hair it would work. He then cut a new key to work in the cylinder and the new one works in both sides. BTW don't use an oild base lube on the locks especially if you live on gravel roads or you will be cleaning them again in under a year.

Old 09-26-2012, 02:37 PM
BuckHammer
Cargo Master

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts
I took my driver door lock cylinder to a local locksmith and they hooked me up. It took them several days to do what amounted to rebuilding it, but my lock works great now and cost me under twenty dollars.

Old 09-26-2012, 11:10 PM
Brown Falcon
Hotshot
Received 123 Likes on 83 Posts
Ugh... only 3 days into Fall term and already exhausted. Can't wait to finish school.

Old 09-26-2012, 11:28 PM
stainlessstroker95
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Brown Falcon
Ugh... only 3 days into Fall term and already exhausted. Can't wait to finish school.
I was glad when I finished up a couple years ago. What are you studying?

Old 09-26-2012, 11:32 PM
Brown Falcon
Hotshot
Received 123 Likes on 83 Posts
Recreation Resource Management, dept of Forestry, at Oregon State

I've got a little over 2 years left, but that includes two summers of required work in my field.

Old 09-27-2012, 01:11 AM
BuckHammer
Cargo Master

Old 09-27-2012, 07:06 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Joseph, what is your fascination with music videos sung by guys with no shirts? LOL!

Old 09-27-2012, 08:33 AM
Awitte58
Postmaster
Hah! I hear ya on the school thing... our school does this thing called co-ops for engineering majors. you take a semester off of class and work full time with a company. Wellllll ive done 5 co-ops with the same company and only taken 4 semesters of classes.

I finally decided to transfer to a school near my company and im working part-time while i finish up school...

Even tho the day to day is terrible.. I have an income...for a house..and truck goodies!

Old 09-27-2012, 11:15 AM
BuckHammer
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by DIYMechanic
Joseph, what is your fascination with music videos sung by guys with no shirts? LOL!
Come on, now. Bon Scott was wearing a shirt in the last one.

Old 09-27-2012, 01:01 PM
Raleigh234
Senior User
*slightly* on topic i suppose, but i don't want to make another thread.

I need a new tailgate. the one i have is pretty smashed up from the previous owner, and i'd rather not buy one from Ford because it's kind of expensive. plus paint for it will make it even better...

Quick Reply: the official OBS diesel off topic thread