1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

the official OBS diesel off topic thread

Old 02-12-2018, 12:24 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,081 Likes on 2,151 Posts
you could, but it would make no sense to do it that way.

Old 02-12-2018, 01:14 PM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That makes sense to me, JP. I don't know what that wouldn't work unless the trans won't take the torque.

I also have a question for the group (though not as hypothetical). If I wanted to swap a driver side door onto my truck to replace the tweaked door I have, would any door 87-96(7) work? Is there a physical difference in the power vs manual doors or could I swap all my electric parts over to a manual door? I know the mirror mounts are a big difference, but I may try and find a work around for that. Are the top mounting holes spaced the same on both the "tripod" towing mirrors and the hoop mirrors? I know the lower ones are an issue, but I'm not sure about the upper ones.

I finally got a check from insurance, so I'm ready to start working toward a solution for my door and mirror.

Old 02-12-2018, 02:50 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,081 Likes on 2,151 Posts
if i remember correctly the door itself is physically the same, but mirror mounts and interio panel mounts are slightly different too.

Old 02-12-2018, 07:03 PM
farmert
Logistics Pro
Received 515 Likes on 249 Posts
Originally Posted by El Camino Man
I've got a hypothetical for you guys lol

Let's say a person were to own an old dent side Ford with a T18 trans, and they wanted to drop a powerstroke in it. In theory, couldn't that person obtain a bellhousing from an old IDI with a T18, swap bellhousings and drop in the PSD? Itd surely be easier than retrofitting a ZF5 in it
That would work, but the IDIs used a hydrolic clutch, so you would still have to fab the linkage for the clutch that the dents used. On second thought, you probably would just have to use the fork for the t18, or the fork for the zf might even work. The ZF doesn't take up much more space than the T18s. I dropped the T18 in my 85 for a zf from a 93, and it was a direct swap. the only thing I had to change was the linkage to the transfer case, as I used the 208 case that the 85 had in it..

Old 02-12-2018, 07:09 PM
farmert
Logistics Pro
The 87-91? have mechanical linkage to open the door from the inside, instead of the cable, which in my opinion is better anyway. I would think the mirror mounts would be the same if you used the same style of mirrors between the two years.

Old 02-13-2018, 06:08 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
The trouble I"m having is finding a good door with the tripod mirror on it. I am thinking that the top holes are the same between all the mirror mount styles, and it's just the lower holes that differ. I guess my question is whether a door with nemo mirrors on it would work if I drilled the lower two holes and installed the riv-nuts myself.

Or maybe I just fix the door I have...

Old 02-13-2018, 06:41 AM
fordman67
Hotshot
Received 387 Likes on 264 Posts
Originally Posted by DIYMechanic
The trouble I"m having is finding a good door with the tripod mirror on it. I am thinking that the top holes are the same between all the mirror mount styles, and it's just the lower holes that differ. I guess my question is whether a door with nemo mirrors on it would work if I drilled the lower two holes and installed the riv-nuts myself.

Or maybe I just fix the door I have...
The green truck I sold had the big mirrors similar to what you have. The upper holes were the same. The upper plastic plate under the metal simply covered up the Nemo holes and used the same bolt holes.
No don't reuse the old door. That thing will never be right again. I would just get a normal door and install the rivnuts in it. They are easy to obtain.

Old 02-13-2018, 07:46 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by fordman67
The green truck I sold had the big mirrors similar to what you have. The upper holes were the same. The upper plastic plate under the metal simply covered up the Nemo holes and used the same bolt holes.
No don't reuse the old door. That thing will never be right again. I would just get a normal door and install the rivnuts in it. They are easy to obtain.
I appreciate the input. That was my feeling as well, I just needed someone else who has done this before to confirm it for me.

Old 02-13-2018, 07:48 AM
El Camino Man
Logistics Pro
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by farmert
That would work, but the IDIs used a hydrolic clutch, so you would still have to fab the linkage for the clutch that the dents used. On second thought, you probably would just have to use the fork for the t18, or the fork for the zf might even work. The ZF doesn't take up much more space than the T18s. I dropped the T18 in my 85 for a zf from a 93, and it was a direct swap. the only thing I had to change was the linkage to the transfer case, as I used the 208 case that the 85 had in it..
Your saying a ZF and T18 will directly swap (minus the linkage)? I figured a person would have to at least build a cross member and modify the trans tunnel but I'm probably wrong lol

Old 02-13-2018, 08:29 AM
farmert
Logistics Pro
Your saying a ZF and T18 will directly swap (minus the linkage)? I figured a person would have to at least build a cross member and modify the trans tunnel but I'm probably wrong lol
I did this swap several years ago, but now that you mention the trans tunnel, I did use the one from the zf donor truck. The t18 tunnel had the hole for the transfer case shifter in it, and the transfer case shifter on the zf needs the hole in the floor pan next to the tunnel.

Old 02-13-2018, 02:32 PM
fordman67
Hotshot
He talking bullnose and you talking dent.
Them t18 idi bells can be a challenge to find. At least that's what I found a while back.

Leave that darn scs alone man...it's perfect just how it is...

Old 02-14-2018, 09:36 PM
97-psd
Logistics Pro
Received 372 Likes on 267 Posts
Originally Posted by DIYMechanic
That makes sense to me, JP. I don't know what that wouldn't work unless the trans won't take the torque.

I also have a question for the group (though not as hypothetical). If I wanted to swap a driver side door onto my truck to replace the tweaked door I have, would any door 87-96(7) work? Is there a physical difference in the power vs manual doors or could I swap all my electric parts over to a manual door? I know the mirror mounts are a big difference, but I may try and find a work around for that. Are the top mounting holes spaced the same on both the "tripod" towing mirrors and the hoop mirrors? I know the lower ones are an issue, but I'm not sure about the upper ones.

I finally got a check from insurance, so I'm ready to start working toward a solution for my door and mirror.
Around 93 is when the extra body line was added to the bottle of the door. I did t realize this when I swapped a door from a donor truck. It actually me a couple days to finally notice it. The difference is minor, but is there. Also, the door lock hole was too small. About 45 minutes with a file took care of it. Again, nothing major, just a little tweaking

Old 02-17-2018, 12:37 AM
fordman67
Hotshot
well boys and girls I guess I'll go ahead and say it.

5.4 dohc in a navigator is a challenging engine swap. I bought an 04 to replace this 87 as my DD. The Navi needs an engine wich a replacement came with the deal. Luckily my life can never be simple so to add to this the old engine is locked up. Pulling heads trying to figure out how to get it unstuck. I'm a whipped puppy.

Old 02-17-2018, 08:05 AM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
Just what you needed, another project! lol Sounds good though.

Old 02-17-2018, 09:36 AM
tshrager
Lead Driver
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by oldbird1965
Just what you needed, another project! lol Sounds good though.
I keep telling him he’s nuts!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: the official OBS diesel off topic thread