1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Rebuild kit for Toyo Steering Gear box

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 08:34 PM
teardropty
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rebuild kit for Toyo Steering Gear box

Well I needed to put a better steering setup in my 1954. The stock box needed rebuilt and I figured I would switch over to a Toyota manual steering box. I chose not to go to the power box because of the hassle with the 223. Anywho... I bought a used box from a salvage yard and had it shipped. When it arrived it was leaking badly. My question is, has anyone replaced the seals in these boxes? Is there a kit available? I hate rebuilding it but the place I bought it from refuses to refund my money unless I ship it back and I need to get a box in my truck. I don't have time to fuss with them right now. Any ideas? Or does anyone have an extra box sitting around they would like to sell?

Old 04-23-2012, 09:59 PM
Dano78
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Never been through either of the Toyota boxes, but have re-sealed many FoMoCo power boxes. Napa seems to have kits for those available so I'd bet that they would have something for the Toyota box.

Old 04-23-2012, 10:05 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,792 Likes on 1,824 Posts
There was a thread a year or so ago about resealing a toyota box. The thread even had part #'s and a source for the parts. I don't remember who posted it or how long ago it was. The search function might turn up something.

I'll poke around and see what I can find
Bobby

added:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...ox-repair.html

Old 04-25-2012, 08:29 AM
lordtavo
Freshman User
I'm currently on the same boat except my box is power and I'm changing my seals just because I don't want any leaks. I spent a whole day researching the seals on mine with a caliper measuring the seals and o-rings. None of the regular autoparts had them listed so I went to the dealer the guy printed me a diagram and with the part numbers I found a few places online that sell Toyota parts for half the price. I remember seeing more seals for the manual box at the autoparts. This write up has the part numbers not sure if they are the same as yours. http://www.oocities.org/zeener96/toyota.htm
I learned there are like 6or7 combinations of seals.
I also found this on here but its for a power box
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...t=toyota+seals
It has a link for prosteering they have a few kits for the power box. Lastly where is it leaking from my guess would be the sector shaft? When I was looking around I read on some Toyota forums that there are bushings instead of bearings on the sector shaft hopefully your bushings aren't worn I think they are pressed in and require reamming for a nice fit around the shaft. While I was at the dealer the guy showed me the parts diagram for the manual box and remember Seeing 2 bushings on the sector shaft. Good luck with your box hopefully this helps some.

Old 04-25-2012, 05:14 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Sure the box hasn't been overfilled or filled with the wrong lube? There is no pressure to speak of in a manual box, so heavy leakage is rare. You'd need to check with a Toyota dealer to see what kind of lube is spec'd for the manual box and how full it should be. Just to cover all bases, did you clean the box thoroughly to pinpoint the source of the leak?

Old 04-26-2012, 08:17 AM
maverickman514
Senior User
check with the toyota gurus over at www.yotatech.com they know all about those trucks and parts

Old 04-26-2012, 05:25 PM
teardropty
Posting Guru
Thanks everyone for the info. I found a kit at Napa after much discussion at my local Napa. Ax I agree it shouldn't have leaked that much and it may have been from sitting in a plastic bag for so long so it made it seem worse than it was. I will rebuild it next week and post my results. Thanks.

Old 04-26-2012, 09:03 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
if you open up your box, be very careful, do it over a large box. If the manual boxes are like the power ones, there will be a fair number of loose ball bearings inside that will fall all over. If you lose any it's all over.

Old 07-15-2012, 09:18 PM
hobbs53
Junior User
i got a toyota power steering box kit for my '59 Fridge from CPP. The high pressure hose they sent doesn't have any rubber seal (just male to female, metal to metal fittings). Needless to say, they leak. Anyone gotten the kit from CPP and had the same problem? What can I use to seal the hose ends.
Thanks guys.

Old 07-16-2012, 08:14 AM
jaye
Posting Guru
I don't have any seals in either of my hoses and they don't leak. I've had my setup over 16 years however, the threads are metric, others will seem to fit however they will leak pretty bad. The hose threads should fit pretty snug into the box. I used fitting from the Toyota box.

Last edited by jaye; 07-16-2012 at 08:03 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 07-16-2012, 08:55 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
There seems to be quite a few dissatisfied CPP customers on here. I suspect they supplied hoses with the wrong side fittings, or someone left the insert part of the fitting(s) out when they rebuilt the box. Look inside the fitting on the box, there should be a brass nipple in there. You need a 16mm reverse flare fitting for the pressure side and a non-standard 17 mm fitting for the return side at the box. Usually the pump end fittings on both lines are 16mm. If you try to put a 16mm fitting in the return port, it will seem to fit loosely, but will leak like a screen door. Don't use any type sealant or sealing tape on the fittings.

Old 07-16-2012, 09:30 PM
hobbs53
Junior User
I haven't tried turning the steering yet; the port on the steering pump (pressure line) is where it's leaking badly...at least at this point...i don't know if the fitting on the box leaks......i've just started the truck yesterday, and noticed a pretty steady drip from the pump fitting.....
yea, i got the steering kit and disc brake kit from them as well as the engine mount kit...;issues with everthing i got....some not so bad...a little grinding here and there, but..............for what i paid for the steering kit/box, i expected it to be turn key..... not a very good experience with CPP

Old 07-17-2012, 01:18 PM
teardropty
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by hobbs53
I haven't tried turning the steering yet; the port on the steering pump (pressure line) is where it's leaking badly...at least at this point...i don't know if the fitting on the box leaks......i've just started the truck yesterday, and noticed a pretty steady drip from the pump fitting.....
yea, i got the steering kit and disc brake kit from them as well as the engine mount kit...;issues with everthing i got....some not so bad...a little grinding here and there, but..............for what i paid for the steering kit/box, i expected it to be turn key..... not a very good experience with CPP
What kind of pump are you running? Some of the older boxes use a 16mm "O" ring type fitting, not the 16mm inverted flare fitting that comes in the CPP kit. I had to purchase a extra adapter/fitting to make my mid-80's Saginaw pump work right. No leaks. If you are using the inverted flare adapter on a "O" ring style, it will leak due to improper seating. This is what I used.

2012 Allstar Performance Parts And Equipment Catalog

-6 to 16mm/1.5 "O" type P/S adapter fitting