1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 12:37 AM
ruh!roh!
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP!

It was suggested by another member that I post on this forum. I have a 1936 Ford pickup and the DMV will not license it until I give them the weight of the truck. It must be from a manual or some other respected source. I understand that I can go have it weighed but cannot believe that the info is not readily available. Can anyone help me out? I have searched the internet and have come up with every miniscule spec about a 36 other thatn what I have been searching for.

Old 07-17-2012, 07:08 AM
topmoo
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
ruh!roh!, you will have better luck if you post in 47 and older trucks. Somebody there may know, this forum is for 48 - 56.

Old 07-17-2012, 07:20 AM
truckdog62563
Marmon-Herrington Man
Received 262 Likes on 216 Posts
The State of Washington needs to redirect their attention to something that matters, and save their tax payers some wasted resources.

The only reference I have gives the weight of a 1936 half ton pickup as 2,852 lbs. This info is found on page 144 of James K. Wagner's book entitled Ford Trucks Since 1905. James K. Wagner is the commercial vehicle advisor to the Early Ford V8 Club, and thus as good an available resource as will be found.

A second place you'd find this is in a 1936 copy of the Ford Truck Sales Handbook. While the 1936 version might have a slightly different title, Ford published these books annually to assist salesman and dealers in marketing the vehicles. Finding a copy of this book wouldn't be easy, or cheap. The earliest copy I have of this book is 1946, and it lists the curb weight of a half ton as 3,050 lbs which closely matches Wagner's statement for 1936. No doubt Wagner got his info from the 1936 salesman's handbook. If your DMV clowns won't accept what is written in Wagner's book, you can contact him and try to get him to further document this. If you do this you'd probably want to join the EFV8 Club and submit your request to him that way. It's a good club to be a member of, and good technical info on the trucks is contained in the monthly magazine, V8 Times. Stu

Edit - I just read your original question over on the <47 forum and don't know that what I posted is what you are after. The reference in Wagner's book says the truck weighs 2,852 lbs, but that would not be the GVWR. The cited figure would be the curb weight, i.e. unloaded. The GVWR would be the weight of the truck plus the additional weight the truck is rated to carry. For example, the 1946 reference gives the GVWR of a half ton as 4700 lbs, while the curb weight is the 3,050 lbs. Stu

Old 07-17-2012, 08:16 AM
dynamic
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by ruh!roh!
It was suggested by another member that I post on this forum. I have a 1936 Ford pickup and the DMV will not license it until I give them the weight of the truck. It must be from a manual or some other respected source. I understand that I can go have it weighed but cannot believe that the info is not readily available. Can anyone help me out? I have searched the internet and have come up with every miniscule spec about a 36 other thatn what I have been searching for.

WOW, Ive never had that problem before. I just make sure their is a number that looks the parts, and fill in the blank. Ive never had them question the weight of a vehicle I was registering.

But god forbid I miss something on the form

I guess the DMV workers have the same attitude no matter where you live.

Old 07-17-2012, 08:59 AM
South of BC
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by truckdog62563
The State of Washington needs to redirect their attention to something that matters, and save their tax payers some wasted resources. ...Stu
Where did the State of Washington get mixed up in this? I checked out all his posts and he never mentions where he is from, rather his DMV is requiring the truck's weight "must be in writing in a manual or some official/respected document ot be accepted." The State of Washington doesn't have a DMV, rather a DOL, and two of them, one for your driver's license and another for vehicle registrations. They also have state inspection stations.

Anyway, most commercial truck stops have certified weigh scales, which should suffice for a "respected document" to get his truck registered. I can't believe that the DMV would accept something from a book. He originally posted in the earlier truck forum and was advised to come here. There he acknowledges that he can get the truck weighed, he's just looking for a shortcut to avoid that. My guess is that the DMV will only accept a weight ticket.

Old 07-17-2012, 09:03 AM
South of BC
Elder User
Come to think of it, shouldn't the GVWR be on his rating plate?

Old 07-17-2012, 09:15 AM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,446 Likes on 1,394 Posts
If it is Washington state we're talking about here, they will insist on having a scale weight ticket from a certified scale when transferring title for trucks. That's how they determine the gross weight for taxing. If the OP found someone who will accept a book number instead, that's mighty nice of them. I've never heard of it.

And I agree, Bob, my state does need to find something more important to do with our tax dollars than to harass its citizens.

Old 07-17-2012, 09:26 AM
truckdog62563
Marmon-Herrington Man
The State of Washington is where the member lives. Easily learned by clicking on the member's user name, "view public profile", then on the "about me" box. He used the term DMV, not me. And yes, you'd think the GVWR would be on the tag if it was still on the truck. But they get misplaced, distroyed, etc. I can better understand that the State would want the GVWR of the truck to properly license it, but the member said he needed the weight of the truck. So he will want to clarify which he needs. Stu

Old 07-17-2012, 10:04 AM
ruh!roh!
New User
I appreciate you all taking the time to help me get my truck on the road despite the Washington State government. It is getting to the point where the useless government workers with useless jobs made up out of thin air are begining to out number the actual workers that produce something in this country.

Old 07-17-2012, 10:08 AM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,446 Likes on 1,394 Posts
I appreciate you all taking the time to help me get my truck on the road despite the Washington State government. It is getting to the point where the useless government workers with useless jobs made up out of thin air are begining to out number the actual workers that produce something in this country.
You're right, we have a problem in this state. But fortunately, we have the ability to change that if we elect the right governor this fall.

Is the truck not able to be weighed? Is in pieces or not rolling/complete? It would make life much simpler if you could just roll it over the scales.

Old 07-17-2012, 10:15 AM
Smitty49
Senior User
Must be one of those 'Green Jobs' everyone is talking about!

Old 07-17-2012, 12:15 PM
South of BC
Elder User
Thanks Stu, I still haven't figured out everything about this site. In fact it took me months to figure out how to put in a signature line. Looking at 'About Me' in a few profiles I've now figured out why only my city shows up in 'Location' whereas city and state show up in Waynes. Yes ruh!roh! did use 'DMV', probably a transplant from California.

Old 07-17-2012, 01:29 PM
ruh!roh!
New User
THANK YOU STU!

Thanks Stu! the DMV has agreed to accept the documentation that you graciously provide to me and I give you credit for helping me get another early Ford truck on the road!

Old 07-17-2012, 01:43 PM
truckdog62563
Marmon-Herrington Man
Good! I emailed a scan of the Wagner book page to Shannon this morning and am glad it worked. Stu

Old 07-17-2012, 01:47 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Ooops -- never mind, looks like you're all set.

Quick Reply: HELP!