6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

How Do You Bullet Proof The 6.0L Turbo Diesel?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 07:51 AM
kidoo
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Fandini
What the heck is all this stuff? STC fittings, stand pipe, and dummy plug. Ipr, and Ipr screen, EBP, ICP and all these other dang abreviations. I need a stinking reference guide for all this crap. You know, I'm looking at all these items to address and thinking "Holy Crap, I've never seen so many things that need attention cause they're prone to failure!"
STC=snap to connect, it is screwed to your high pressure oil pump under the turbo, it is a mod to prevent the old fitting to hit the pan. Mine is a 2006, I think they started in 2005 with the wiggleling one.

IPR: Injector pressure regulator located over the high pressure oil pum, under the turbo, apparantly you can reach it without removing the turbo with a special socket. The screen gets busted off with debris. You get the screen when you replace the STC.

EBP: Exhaust back pressure, located on driver side engine cover. It gets plugged. From what I read, some FICM does not read the EBP.

Stand pipe and dummy plug, any leak in there and you will have hard start. I did not replace yet but from what I read, they have oring that get damage because they do not have a back up ring. The replacement with new ones has the back up ring

Yes all that crap is prone to faillure on your sick O, plus the oil cooler, square EGR cooler, head bolt if you push it.

Old 04-24-2012, 08:23 AM
kidoo
Elder User
Originally Posted by Piolet
Make sure you have the right cap on your oil filter housing.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-look-for.html

Then get gauges as mentioned before by others.
A Scangauge II or Edge CS or CTS plugs right into the OBD port on the truck and can read almost all that the truck computer sees. Scangauge is lower price and can be programmed to read a lot of extra stuff. Trade off is that you can't add other equipment to it and the display is very 1980's.
Edge has a more modern look and you can add other gauges by attaching their additional senders, even a camera on the CTS version for rearview. It's downside is it's cost, especially when you go to add the other senders.
Edge also doesn't have some of the PID's that scangauge does, but they are constantly rolling out software upgrades so they may catch up.

Get setup with the gauges to watch:
Coolant temp.
Oil temp.
Battery volts.
FICM voltage.
Fuel pressure.
They are the main 5.

Welcome to FTE.
Yes, oil cooler filter, original only or FRAM. I think this is what blew off my IPR screen. I once used a different filter that included some kind of extra plastic piece, the IPR problem started not long after. Maybe some crap got through the screen, there was debris on the valve. Filter change, I would do it myself or go to Dealer unless I know for sure the shop knows what they are doing. A lot of people I know in my area just do not know enough about 6.o and they think you can through any substitute in it.

Old 04-24-2012, 08:58 AM
Fandini
More Turbo
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thanks for the reply guys, but I don't want to hijack this thread and take it in a different direction. There were just a lot of abreviations I hadn't seen before and problem areas I've not heard mentioned before either. Either way I did tune into this thread for the bullet proofing info and to really determine if many of these bullet proffing mods are worth the money. So keep the bullet proof info coming. Thanks.

Old 04-24-2012, 09:32 AM
kidoo
Elder User
Like is said, all these problems might not happen. There is a lot of precautionnary stuff in here.
My STC was good when I replaced it
IPR screen was once busted, I presume it was due to a wrong "substitute filter".
Oil cooler plugged at one time
Radiator build up a lot of crap, was leaking
EBP was "almost" plugged, just cleaned it
Turbo was quite rusty and I had 0299 code, I do not drive it enough
Coolant filter is a "shall" as far as I am concerned and flushing / backflush

Old 04-24-2012, 10:06 AM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by RPM371
I just bought an '06 F350 6.0 Powerstroke with 155,000 and had to replace the oil and EGR coolers before I made it home. (They saw me coming...) From what every mechanic I've talked to tells me, the 6.0 is a pile of junk moneypit. Wish I would have checked with them before I bought the truck.

I had an '89 with the natural aspirated 7.2 and got 355,000 out of it before I had any problems. My, how things have changed...

I would Doubt the Dealer even new it was like that. They cant find out much if all you do is wash it and let it sit on the lot till someone buys it.

But if it was A decent dealership at all they would have helped you fix it.

Now the owner B4 you knew it was Bad and needed work thats why he tradded itand of coarse he did say anything trying to get the most he could for his trade

Out of the regular guys on here they seem like solid trucks Iv only seen 1or 2 that was a compleate nightmare and 1 of those may have been self inflickted

Old 04-24-2012, 06:40 PM
RPM371
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Blade, I hope you are right. I really like the truck.

Texans, when it's Ford mechanics that are informing me the engine is a bad design and a moneypit, I worry. I didn't come on here to trash Fords. I've been a Ford guy for over 40 years going back to my '68 F100. But they obviously dropped the ball on this 6.0 design. I think maybe you're in denial about the very real problems the 6.0 has. On the upside, I hear very good things about the 6.7.

Old 04-24-2012, 06:57 PM
texans
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Blade, I hope you are right. I really like the truck.

Texans, when it's Ford mechanics that are informing me the engine is a bad design and a moneypit, I worry. I didn't come on here to trash Fords. I've been a Ford guy for over 40 years going back to my '68 F100. But they obviously dropped the ball on this 6.0 design. I think maybe you're in denial about the very real problems the 6.0 has. On the upside, I hear very good things about the 6.7.
Not in denial one bit. I know what the trucks can do and what they are capable of. Like I said if its just an all around bad design then why haven't I had all these "problems" I mean I do own 2 of them. So I should always be working on at least one of them right? People give these trucks a bad rep because they are not the 7.3 that benefits from the same mods that the 7.3 does. You can't treat this motor like it is a 7.3 if you do you are bound to have problems.

There are millions of these motors on the road. And like I said I would put a paycheck on there are far more that never have problems than the ones that do. Some trucks do break even when taken care of the right way, but I do work on a lot of these and can tell you that 80-90% of them that I work on can be contributed to an ill informed driver not taking care of the truck like they should. Putting I'll advised MODs on. I can point you some of the diesel techs here that work for Ford and are some of the best in the business that will tell you the same thing. It's not a bad design! If it was then everyone of them would fail.

Oh, and by the way might want to go look at the 6.7 forum before you start praising them. They have there problems too, but to each his own.

Old 04-24-2012, 09:57 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts
when it's Ford mechanics that are informing me the engine is a bad design and a moneypit, I worry.
No Kidden I Cant beleive they would say that KNowing Full Well the cost to repair a 6.4L or 6.7L take your pic either one can be very spendy

This HAD to be comming from the mechanic that just changed your oil cooler Just by him saying this makes me wonder if he even fixed your oil cooler RIGHT

I have seen guys get on here said they was on there 4 oil cooler cocsukeren Ford BAD DESIGN and when we got right down to it shure he was changing the Oil Coolers out but THERES MORE TO IT THAN THAT and since he didnt do the other stuff they kept Cloging up when he found out it was HIS Fault for repeat Failures he was speachless and erased all those posts about how bad Ford is fixed his truck RIGHT and been Happey with it since

. But they obviously dropped the ball on this 6.0 design.
So you have owned one for a couple weeks now and are an Expert at the 6.0L operating systems

If you did know so much about it you wouldnt have got one with a Jacked oil cooler right out the shoot just saying

Actually they had a pretty good design when they came out in 03 but they went Backwards in 05+ got to do a couple extra things for 05+ now the 05+ will endup the Better one its just going to cost more to get it there

I think maybe you're in denial about the very real problems the 6.0 has.
We can bring out problems in ANY MAKE MODEL YEAR MANUFACTURE whatever GAS DIESEL on and on

Its not Just a 6.0L thing

On the upside, I hear very good things about the 6.7.
X2 spend some time up in the 6.7forum its not all fun and games there

The Cost to repair the catastropic Failure of a Bad tank fuel in a 6.7L I could Rebuild the WHOLE PowerTrain in my 6.0L thats a trans and engine

All I can tell ya is do a couple things reliability mods and get a gauge and you will be Happey For a long time

Old 04-25-2012, 08:03 AM
kidoo
Elder User
They all had their days, but now with the new regulations, engineer had to come with new idea to reduce polution. Ford was one of the first with their Diesel I believe to jump in to reduce polution. Just like with Snowmobile, when they came in with 4 cycle engines, everyone thought it would be the end of 2 cycle engine, no more polution, etc, etc. Guess what, enegineer came in with better solution with 2 cycle engine, lower emission, better MPG and more kick. I do not think 6.0 is bad, you just have to know their problem area, do not just through parts at it, do the preventive mods.

I have read that there is almost nothing you can do to the new 6.7, it is just too complicated for the normal backyard mechanic. Just wait until they start to break down and you will see a lot of people empty their wallet at the Dealer.

Others have problems too. Lots of people I know that have Dodge have had one, sometime tow time transmission rebuilt, this is a LOT of money too. My son has a 5.9 cummins, he has little problems with the fuel pumps, but his Dodge is a 2001, same with the 7.3, no real big problems, just little stuff. Some I know are not so happy with their 2008 an up Cummins, poor MPG, Rail, Transmission, and all NORMAL antipolution stuff and sensors.

So, buy a newer truck if you have the money. A 1000 dollars here and there once in a while to fix my truck myself is just close to one month payment on the new truck.

Old 10-22-2016, 05:04 PM
Fox3245
New User
Hey guys I just joined this site today cause I bought a 2005 6.0 and have been meaning to ask similar questions. I cant figure out this site if someone could tell me how to start my own thread I'd appreciate it. But anyway I was wondering what brand of head gaskets, head studs etc you guys are running. Im expecting at least 6,000 dollars probably more, Im pretty new to this stuff so lots of detail on the tunings such as SCT etc would be appreciated.

Old 10-22-2016, 08:17 PM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
Received 136 Likes on 80 Posts
Hey Fox, congrats on the new (to you) truck. What you asking could end up being quite a long thread. From the "full" site (not the mobile site) toward the top of the first page of the 6.0 forum on the left is a blue "new thread" button. Click that, give your new thread a name in the first box and type away in the second one. Welcome to FTE.