Is this a good price for a paint job? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Dentsides Ford Truck

Is this a good price for a paint job?

Old 04-21-2012, 11:24 PM
SuperDuty93
Posting Guru
SuperDuty93 has a good reputation on FTE.SuperDuty93 has a good reputation on FTE.
Is this a good price for a paint job?

Ok so i was quoted $3500 for a metalic blue paint job. This will include-

~4 coats clear coat
~Cutting out and plating over of about 5 rust spots
~Sand, remove rust, prime and paint
~Remove and fix bondo
~Block waves out of metal from DA sander

They will be doing from the door jams out. No interior painting. Just outer body, doors and door jams. I think it sounds like a good price. a few buddies said it sounded to cheep...?

Old 04-21-2012, 11:27 PM
ChiefM
FTE Chapter Leader
ChiefM has a great reputation on FTE.ChiefM has a great reputation on FTE.ChiefM has a great reputation on FTE.ChiefM has a great reputation on FTE.
You get what you pay for, look at some past work if they have some around, that will tell you exactly what you are getting. Times are tough and you can get a deal just be weary.

Old 04-21-2012, 11:30 PM
montana_highboy
Post Fiend
montana_highboy has much to be proud ofmontana_highboy has much to be proud ofmontana_highboy has much to be proud ofmontana_highboy has much to be proud ofmontana_highboy has much to be proud ofmontana_highboy has much to be proud ofmontana_highboy has much to be proud ofmontana_highboy has much to be proud ofmontana_highboy has much to be proud of
Sounds kinda steep to me, but then again i painted my truck for less than 20 bucks.

Old 04-21-2012, 11:30 PM
SuperDuty93
Posting Guru
SuperDuty93 has a good reputation on FTE.SuperDuty93 has a good reputation on FTE.
I can post a pick of another highboy they did. It was a very crisp paint job but cost the guy 5k because someone took off the rear in an accident so alot of the $ was in body work....

The guy estimated 40 hours of work in mine if that helps on pricing.

Old 04-21-2012, 11:42 PM
hairyboxnoogle
Post Fiend
hairyboxnoogle has a good reputation on FTE.hairyboxnoogle has a good reputation on FTE.
Paint and supplies are pretty expensive. Even with shop rates being low right now. Id say thats not a bad price, just have to make sure they do it right. Thats the scary part about body work, its WAY to easy to hide stuff. Primarily the reason i learned to do it myself.. it sure as hell wasnt for fun lol 40 hours doesnt seem like much to me... ive that many hours into a hood before just in metal work, patching, and shrinking.

Old 04-21-2012, 11:49 PM
NBC-Steve
Posting Guru
NBC-Steve is a splendid one to beholdNBC-Steve is a splendid one to beholdNBC-Steve is a splendid one to beholdNBC-Steve is a splendid one to beholdNBC-Steve is a splendid one to beholdNBC-Steve is a splendid one to behold
I was given a $4K verbal quote for mine, two tone and very minimal body work and I would do all the trim and glass removal and installation. $3500 sounds about right for the work you described.

Old 04-21-2012, 11:51 PM
SuperDuty93
Posting Guru
Yea i didnt think it was to bad. The body is really straight. No real dents that i can see from the outside of the body or behind the panels. Thin bondo all over it tho Other than that its super clean

Old 04-22-2012, 07:57 AM
Blue and White
Postmaster
Blue and White is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Agree its a good price... and also agree check out quality of the work. Fixing 5 rust spots (properly) and paint for 3500 is a very good deal.

Old 04-22-2012, 10:09 AM
mark a.
Post Fiend
mark a. has a great reputation on FTE.mark a. has a great reputation on FTE.mark a. has a great reputation on FTE.mark a. has a great reputation on FTE.
You will get what you pay for. Stop into a paint store and price a gallon of good clear and everything that you will need to add to it. Then the cost of the paint and what goes with it. Then a general material list. Any paint sales guy can give you a good quote. Then you are going to see just how much money this body guy is going to make depending on how fast and good he is. It's a lot of work to paint a truck like that. You may want to ask to help him, that way your there and he has help for things anyone else could do for him while he works on more important things. Have you seen any of his jobs ? For that price he's not going to be using any expensive clear or paint, so I think he's too cheep.

Old 04-23-2012, 08:32 AM
1984montemaniac
Junior User
1984montemaniac is starting off with a positive reputation.
I think a good rule of thumb is 500 a panel.....so please try to get references from his prior customers.

Old 04-23-2012, 11:20 AM
moparmusclecars
Junior User
moparmusclecars is starting off with a positive reputation.
That is a decent price, depending on the quality of his work. You need to see some of his past jobs to tell if it is acceptable to you. Ask him for a few references. He should be fine with that if he is any good. Ask him what brand of clear and basecoat (if he is doing a base/clear job) he will use. Just tell him you are a lil concerned that you get a decent job with quality products that will last for some time since your spending your hard earned money. If he has nothing to hide, it should not be a big deal. I start out around 3500.00 on painting trucks myself. Also, find out how long he has had a legit business and check with the Better Business Bureau in your area if he has had any complaints. Also do a search of reviews on his shop online. There is one guy in this area who opened his own shop two years ago claiming over 30 years doing restorations. He was just getting into this type of work back in 2002 when he was my painters helper prepping cars. He is committing deceptive practice, but whatever. There is a lot of scabs out there doing this type of work, so do some checking before just trusting this guy. Whatever you do,don't give him a bunch of money upfront. Too many guys screwing customers around after they get the money upfront. If you need to give him a few bucks to get going, keep checking in on him to see that it is getting worked on. Let us know what you come up with.

Old 09-02-2013, 09:17 PM
sixpackjack
Freshman User
sixpackjack is starting off with a positive reputation.
restoring old blue

in primer paint tomorrow two tone blue -under i wired wheeled acid washed then heavily put on rust-oleum black proffessional enamel epoxy primer base coat clear - then paint and material aloan can run about a grand then body work sanding - ill put this way pimpin aint easy you have to pay

Old 09-02-2013, 09:39 PM
kwe45919
Senior User
kwe45919 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Decent price for a decent paint job. Unless you are wanting a showroom shine and plan on making this a trailer queen then the shop should be good enough to put a coat of paint on your truck especially if you've already seen what they did with the other truck. Always get at least 3 other quotes from local shops for comparison work.