6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

What is renewable Diesel?

Old 04-21-2012, 07:17 PM
Gearitis
Elder User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What is renewable Diesel?

I filled up today at my favorite Diesel Stop and there is a new sign on the pump. In all my travels to date, this is the first time I have witnessed this sign.

Name:  WP_000002.jpg
Views: 1765
Size:  57.3 KB

I wonder what they are calling "renewable Diesel"?

Old 04-21-2012, 08:01 PM
slowmans
Cargo Master
Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
I believe its diesel made from a renewable source, some places make it from wood chips and algea.....

Cant wait for all the Bio haters to chime in.........

Old 04-21-2012, 08:55 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Received 68 Likes on 31 Posts
The bio id the renewable part right? Soy beans I think,

Old 04-22-2012, 07:44 AM
Gearitis
Elder User

Did a Google and the bio part means plants, but the renewable part, there are way to many different types of renewable diesel that are "sulfur free" to "carbonless" and etc. We have talked a bunch on here how bio helps in lubrication, but the renewable stuff, I am not sure, so, question is what is it? I am rather particular about what goes in my 6.4 as we see a few issues with the fuel system, now with this unknown, I have questions. I am always skeptical about what the treehuggers are pushing and have the government put in place.
Oh and FYI, all the Valaro stations have just put this sign up, within the last week here in the Waco, TX area, obviously the same distributer.

Old 04-22-2012, 09:25 AM
RM2738
Posting Guru
Yeah, Valero here in Houston has had it for a few months. Murphy has had it for close to a year I think.

Renewable is just that, it's not a fossil fuel. Something we can control & produce from a source such as plants.

Old 04-22-2012, 09:27 AM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by Gearitis
Did a Google and the bio part means plants, but the renewable part, there are way to many different types of renewable diesel that are "sulfur free" to "carbonless" and etc. We have talked a bunch on here how bio helps in lubrication, but the renewable stuff, I am not sure, so, question is what is it? I am rather particular about what goes in my 6.4 as we see a few issues with the fuel system, now with this unknown, I have questions. I am always skeptical about what the treehuggers are pushing and have the government put in place.
Oh and FYI, all the Valaro stations have just put this sign up, within the last week here in the Waco, TX area, obviously the same distributer.
Can you tell if it's doing anything to the price? May be some way to strech the fuel and hold the price down just a bit as I Valero is usually priced at the lowest level around.

Old 04-22-2012, 11:19 AM
RM2738
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by StanleyZ
Can you tell if it's doing anything to the price? May be some way to strech the fuel and hold the price down just a bit as I Valero is usually priced at the lowest level around.
I second that. Murphy is always right there with them and they're <5% Bio.

Old 04-22-2012, 11:42 AM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
I know others disagree but I do everything I can to avoid bio. I guess there is no real reason to do that since I'm deleted, but I do it just because it's habit. I also add a generous dose of Disel kleen to every fill up. Plus, I take a sample as I pump just to check for water. The way I see it it's my truck and my HPFP and I'm working without a net here since I deleted the DPF, I expect no warranty repairs. I'm doing everything I can think of to avoid a fuel rail failure.

Old 04-22-2012, 07:01 PM
Gearitis
Elder User

Diesel prices have been dropping here this week by about a dime. I never noticed Murphys having the sign and I just went by there and looked. Nothing at this time relating to renewable energy. Don't try to avoid bio, in Texas, all diesel has bio or now "renewable" diesel unless otherwise stated. Texas is the largest producer of bio diesel. Neste Oil is stated in some of the TCEQ (Texas Commission on Environmental Quality) documents as producing Renewable Diesel. From what I understand from my state congressmans office "Doc Anderson" was it was mandated in the last Texas legislative session for the B5 or renewable Energy in diesel sales starting 2012. Gasoline must be E10 or greater before the end of 2012. His office said that Texas closely follows the California Environmental quality guidelines since they are the leader in environmental safety. I kindda hope his office is wrong. But we will see.

Old 04-23-2012, 07:42 AM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
That suprises me. I thought texas was the king of the oil states and Houston was all about oil. Seems like bio and Ethanol would hurt oil retail sales. Ethanol reduces the amount of oil sold for gasoline by 10%. It sure makes the corn growers happy though. I wonder if the renewable is just bio with a new name. perhaps the industry found that biodiesel had a bad reputation so they decided to call it something else. i doubt that though, I'm betting they have found a way to make bio from pine trees or cabbage or something exotic like that.

My opinion is that the whole "man made" global warning is BS. The whole premise of the bio and ethanol industry is political. Last week I heard for the first time someone on a national TV show talking about what the DPF was going to do to the trucking industry and what it would cost the consumer when all those 18 wheelers have to use DPFs and run at what, 4 or 5 MPG. cause there aren't many things we buy that aren't trucked at some point and they will just pass the cost on to the consumer.

Old 04-23-2012, 09:15 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,400 Likes on 997 Posts
I think BIO would be ok without all the emissions stuff...but with emissions if is a tough sell.

Old 04-03-2018, 09:15 AM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Received 973 Likes on 748 Posts
bio diesel

its a blend of soy deisel and regular diesel

5% is good, it provides excellent fuel lube properties

I go out of my way to get bio diesel