2002 ranger xl 4cyl - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

2002 ranger xl 4cyl

Old 04-21-2012, 04:04 PM
handyandy123
Senior User
handyandy123 is new and has a neutral reputation at this point.
2002 ranger xl 4cyl

Hello everyone,

My ranger just started running very rough. Like misfiring, but I think it may be the fuel pump. It starts and drives...but it surges then drives normal, as if fuel is being fed, then starved, then force fed etc. My father asked if I had trouble starting it and to be honest in the last 6 months it was a little harder to start on several occasions. On a few occasions it required more cranking. But that was only a few times. I tried putting in a fuel injector cleaner and 93 octane gas but it is still running even rougher now. I changed out the fuel filter under the rail about a year ago (maybe 8000 miles ago at most). My father thinks the fuel pump is shot and he laughed because his went on his expedition and he said it is inside the fuel tank and there is no way to get at it without dropping the tank. Is that true? Any advice or similar ocurrences? Thanks for any input!

Old 04-21-2012, 07:56 PM
03 Maz B23
Elder User
03 Maz B23 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Is or has your check engine light been on? If so have it scanned for codes . How old are the plugs, air filter? Have you cleaned the MAF sensor? Check all these first before condemning the fuel pump If you do have a bad fuel pump you don't have to drop the tank. Simply unbolt the bed , unplug wiring harness for rear lights, remove screws that hold filler neck to bed and slide the bed back to gain access to the pump.

Old 04-21-2012, 09:54 PM
handyandy123
Senior User
thanks

thanks...plugs I did about 2 yrs ago or roughly 16000 miles ago

air filter... I don't think i have. truck is an 02 but only has about 65k miles on her. I think maybe I should change plugs again and definitely do the air filter. Any suggestions on plugs?

Old 04-22-2012, 07:01 AM
03 Maz B23
Elder User
03 Maz B23 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I have been using the Autolite Double Platinum. Wal Mart generally stocks em. Definitely replace that air filter and while at it also clean the MAF sensor with some sensor safe cleaner. Don't touch the fragile filament of sensor. Here is a link on the cleaning.

http://www.fordf150.net/howto/clean-...low-sensor.php

Old 04-22-2012, 09:39 AM
KhanTyranitar
Postmaster
KhanTyranitar has a very good reputation on FTE.KhanTyranitar has a very good reputation on FTE.KhanTyranitar has a very good reputation on FTE.
In this often neglected but excellent book know as your owners manual, it lists a maintenance schedule. Look at each item that should have been done by now, and do them all.

Important, replace the plugs and wires with the properly gapped OE spec parts, i.e. Motorcraft brand stuff, or the brand that actually makes Motorcraft. Autolite Double Platinums are a popular choice, Autolite makes Motorcraft brand for many Ford applications. If yours has plug wires, use OE wires, Motorcraft or get Magnacore. Don't waste your time and money on any other brand, not even quality aftermarket, they do not meet OE specs.

Have you scanned the computer for history codes?

Old 04-22-2012, 10:03 AM
powersmoked
Posting Guru
powersmoked is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by handyandy123 View Post
Hello everyone,

My ranger just started running very rough. Like misfiring, but I think it may be the fuel pump. It starts and drives...but it surges then drives normal, as if fuel is being fed, then starved, then force fed etc. My father asked if I had trouble starting it and to be honest in the last 6 months it was a little harder to start on several occasions. On a few occasions it required more cranking. But that was only a few times. I tried putting in a fuel injector cleaner and 93 octane gas but it is still running even rougher now. I changed out the fuel filter under the rail about a year ago (maybe 8000 miles ago at most). My father thinks the fuel pump is shot and he laughed because his went on his expedition and he said it is inside the fuel tank and there is no way to get at it without dropping the tank. Is that true? Any advice or similar ocurrences? Thanks for any input!
do the maintenance as the others have suggested.........if that does not do it you can do a fuel pressure test............if you need a fuel pump for the DIY the best way to do it is to remove the bed...hit the bolts with rust penetrator and let them soak......buy 2 torx 55's.......in case one breaks........takes about 45 minutes of grunt work to remove it......

Old 04-24-2012, 07:14 PM
RangerRuss
Elder User
RangerRuss is starting off with a positive reputation.
Fuel pressure test should tell you a lot. I have the same truck. Third brand new fuel pump from Ford finally worked. Test it before reinstalling the bed.

Russ

Old 04-26-2012, 11:36 AM
handyandy123
Senior User
Thank you!

Thank you guys.... I love this website!