1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

'56 Hood Adjustment

Old 04-20-2012, 10:44 PM
Dano78
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'56 Hood Adjustment

Does anyone have some good info on how to properly adjust the hood on these things? I've got it sittin really well, but thinkin somethings not quite right. Keep having to go to each rear corner and push the hood down a bit each time i close it. Dad tells me this is normal for these trucks. I'm having a hard time believing that Henry made them like this and left them this way. I'm curious if there is a trick or something I may be doing wrong to stop from having to push down on the rear corners. Thanks in advance.

Old 04-21-2012, 12:12 AM
jotram
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the same problem theres a few forums on here that goes into detail on it you'd just have to search, basicly everyones gonna tell you to go with the reverse hood tilt kit and that the after market hinges are lousy, make sure your hinges are oiled real good and that the pivot points are free...your dad is right these trucks are known for this problem good luck

Old 04-21-2012, 12:53 AM
lexcoe
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think i may have read somewhere to adjust the hood pin further forward to help pull the back down, worth a try?

John

Old 04-21-2012, 03:02 AM
Dano78
Elder User
Thanks for the replies. Couldn't understand why so many trucks had tilt hoods until I reinstalled mine. Wow... the hood doesn't open very far does it. I've had it off the truck for over a year and forgot how bad it was. My hinges are new aftermarket units, seem to be pretty good, nice tight and holds the hood open great. I think the original mechanics/design was just poor. I'll have to search around some more. Earlier, I did a little bit and found a link that Sam posted to a writeup Ax did on front sheetmetal alignment. The link didn't work though.
I may reconsider going to a flip-hood as it's a real pain to work under the limited lift of the hood. On the other hand, the flip hood makes it hard to get/service the radiator. It'd be nice to see someone re-engineer the hinges so that the hood opens farther and may get lucky to get the rear of the hood to sit down like it should without pushing on it. Something that would bolt up to the stock mounting.

lexcoe- I'll give that a try. I had to pull the hood back off as the alignment pin's tack welded retaining nut broke off and was just hung in there by the upper lock-down nut. Need to weld that mounting nut back on. Also noticed that my safety catch is broke (handle part broke off) and the P.O. had welded a piece of metal infront of the catch to hold the safety catch open. That's no good, especially with these old latch setups. Soooo Sunday I'm gonna go over to see the local 53-56 F100 parts guy as he says he's got a good used safety catch for me.

Old 04-21-2012, 05:59 AM
raerjim
Fleet Mechanic
Dano, this should keep you reading for a while, search box "hood hokey pokey". I spent days, DETERMINED to solve my hood issues, new springs, then new hinges, adjusting the mounts, re-adjusting the mounts, to no avail. I now have a flip hood. problem solved, but I must say I prefer a front opening hood.

Old 04-21-2012, 07:59 AM
3golfjack
Laughing Gas

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Well Dano I think you hit upon a hot issue. I think I need to start reading history on this issue myself. I was wanting to mount my hood by the rear original style hinges. I guess I'll start with reading hood hokey pokey. Hopefully if we are lucky someone has discovered a method of correcting this problem.

Old 04-21-2012, 11:12 AM
jotram
Senior User
Im not a fan of the reverse hoods myself, and think I will keep the stock hinges, even though theyre a horrible desiign. Im sure other hinges would work, I bet if a guy were to experiment and spend some time on it he might just find some better hinges thats the fun of hot rodding

Old 04-21-2012, 01:42 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Dano78
Thanks for the replies. Couldn't understand why so many trucks had tilt hoods until I reinstalled mine. Wow... the hood doesn't open very far does it. I've had it off the truck for over a year and forgot how bad it was. My hinges are new aftermarket units, seem to be pretty good, nice tight and holds the hood open great. I think the original mechanics/design was just poor. I'll have to search around some more. Earlier, I did a little bit and found a link that Sam posted to a writeup Ax did on front sheetmetal alignment. The link didn't work though.
I may reconsider going to a flip-hood as it's a real pain to work under the limited lift of the hood. On the other hand, the flip hood makes it hard to get/service the radiator. It'd be nice to see someone re-engineer the hinges so that the hood opens farther and may get lucky to get the rear of the hood to sit down like it should without pushing on it. Something that would bolt up to the stock mounting.

lexcoe- I'll give that a try. I had to pull the hood back off as the alignment pin's tack welded retaining nut broke off and was just hung in there by the upper lock-down nut. Need to weld that mounting nut back on. Also noticed that my safety catch is broke (handle part broke off) and the P.O. had welded a piece of metal infront of the catch to hold the safety catch open. That's no good, especially with these old latch setups. Soooo Sunday I'm gonna go over to see the local 53-56 F100 parts guy as he says he's got a good used safety catch for me.
this link?

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ml#post9684034

Sam

Old 04-22-2012, 03:40 AM
Dano78
Elder User
Sam- Yep that's the link! Thanks Sam. For some reason on a thread i search, it wouldn't work. That's a great writeup on Ax's part and will give it a try.

raerjim, 3golfjack, jotram- I'm not a huge fan of tilt hoods but i can certainly see why people are doing them. Certainly an idea considered. I'll have to sit down and go through "hood hokey pokey" a little later. I'd love to see a redesigned hinge that better operates the hood in it's stock opening fashion. Had i realized this some time ago, i would have messed with the idea of creating new hinges or working withother used units, when i had the engine out. Maybe this winter, if i sub the front end, the engine will be out and I'll play around with the idea.

Old 04-22-2012, 07:10 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Sam- Yep that's the link! Thanks Sam. For some reason on a thread i search, it wouldn't work. That's a great writeup on Ax's part and will give it a try.

raerjim, 3golfjack, jotram- I'm not a huge fan of tilt hoods but i can certainly see why people are doing them. Certainly an idea considered. I'll have to sit down and go through "hood hokey pokey" a little later. I'd love to see a redesigned hinge that better operates the hood in it's stock opening fashion. Had i realized this some time ago, i would have messed with the idea of creating new hinges or working withother used units, when i had the engine out. Maybe this winter, if i sub the front end, the engine will be out and I'll play around with the idea.
I hope u come up with something.. its been almost 60 yrs, and the best solution so far is don't use the hinges, go reverse. We need one of those engineering modeling tools.. record the hinge movement(angles, distances), then extend it.

Sam

Old 04-22-2012, 04:19 PM
raerjim
Fleet Mechanic
as I recall, Charlieled is working on a hinge setup controlled with gas cylinders for his 56. Haven't heard from him lately as to how they're coming. He may get rich if they pan out.

Old 04-22-2012, 07:23 PM
427supersnake
Freshman User

There are beautiful after market "billet" hood hinges with gas struts listed on ebay but they will set you back over $500.00.
Proper cab alignment should be first, the front cab mount area tend to settle with age along with the rubber mounts.

Old 04-22-2012, 07:34 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Originally Posted by 427supersnake
There are beautiful after market "billet" hood hinges with gas struts listed on ebay but they will set you back over $500.00.
Proper cab alignment should be first, the front cab mount area tend to settle with age along with the rubber mounts.
I don't see any for trucks. Only camaro And eleanor stang.

Sam

Old 04-23-2012, 03:05 PM
427supersnake
Freshman User
I will get the item number and reply, they are there, just looked before I posted yesterday.

Old 04-23-2012, 03:15 PM
427supersnake
Freshman User
The ebay item # 370606325486 $574.95 or make offer, the seller has a store : Chevelle Parts. Kinda pricy but look very nice!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: '56 Hood Adjustment