1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why I might just buy a gas truck instead of a diesel next time....

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 03:30 PM
Papa Tiger
Temporarily Deactivated
Received 3,432 Likes on 2,347 Posts
Why not just change out the coolers for better after market ones. Then you leave out the engine distruction thingyfrom happening and enjoy the diesel. You can always rent a unit to drive while doing the change overs. Buy a new fishing boat with the difference and enjoy pulling it around. You will have just as much trouble with the gas truck. If you don't need the heavy pull why buy a heavy truck at all, just a regular cab XL 3.7 can work. LOL

Old 04-20-2012, 04:03 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Papa Tiger
Why not just change out the coolers for better after market ones. Then you leave out the engine distruction thingyfrom happening and enjoy the diesel.
I was originally thinking this, but recently I realised that I don't feel like "bullet proofing" a diesel every 3 years just to get rid of it.

Vehicles aren't an asset, they're an expense; a liability. If you put aftermarket stuff on a truck, you better enjoy it, because you never get you're money back.

That's why I'm pretty sure I'm going with a 3/4 ton brand new bottom end gasser. Roll up windows, Am/fm, no options. That will be more than enough to use for work, then I can spend a decent amount to have a nice truck at home, that I can keep for 10 + years and enjoy.

I've saved up a lot of money for a new truck, so if I lease one, I can realistically build something nice.
I want to find a king ranch or other loaded superduty crew cab, in good shape, with a blown engine, or gas engine, then basically strip it and start over.
I am very serious about putting a 466 dt engine into it, not 1000 hp though, maybe 400-500. Yes I realise that will not be cheap. I also plan on finding some nice drivetrain parts, and going with super single wheels, which will also cost lots.
It will probably take a body lift and suspension lift to make that engine fit in there, so she'll be sitting a little high. Those super single tires are hard though, so mileage should'nt be as bad as mud tires.
If the gearing can get the 466 running 1400-1500rpm's at cruising speed, I don't think mileage would be that bad. With a 6 sp stick shift, 5th would be for towing.
The engine might require firewall modification, which will also cost money, especially since I will get it done right, and sound deadened.
Registering it won't be an issue, they said it will go on registration as "diesel 6 cyl", thats it. No emission testing here, so not an issue.

I will probably ditch the engine driven fan, and use some electric ones. i do know a guy that has a truck with a 466 in it, his was a hack job, but it was cheap. I want to go the extra mile, and make it a nice truck, exactly to my desires.

Old 04-20-2012, 04:22 PM
Kajtek1
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by parkland

Vehicles aren't an asset, they're an expense; a liability. If you put aftermarket stuff on a truck, you better enjoy it, because you never get you're money back.
Ironically they can. When I bough my 7.3l I had no idea about its value, but now 6 years/100,000 miles later I am advertising it for sale for 35% more than I paid for it. I added bed lift, so I put money in it, but I got that money back already using it.
Now following your calculation (even it doesn't apply to older truck) 100k miles on gasser would cost me extra 7000 liters of gasoline. Can you convert it to dollars again?

Old 04-20-2012, 04:38 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Kajtek1
Ironically they can. When I bough my 7.3l I had no idea about its value, but now 6 years/100,000 miles later I am advertising it for sale for 35% more than I paid for it. I added bed lift, so I put money in it, but I got that money back already using it.
Now following your calculation (even it doesn't apply to older truck) 100k miles on gasser would cost me extra 7000 liters of gasoline. Can you convert it to dollars again?
9100$

And it would take me 8.3 years approx to reach that, if used only at work. That doesn't take into account extra cash on oil changes, or maintenance.

Clearly if I could use my "homemade/ built" truck for work also, things would be different.

As I said earlier, my passion lies with older diesels... with grunting, power, smoke, and do it yourself maintenance; not electronic issues, warranty problems, unexplainable events, and 10,000$ repairs.

Now I understand that not everyone lives somewhere that you can duct tape whatever engine into a truck, and register and insure it and drive around, so you're experience may differ, but for me, I see this as a very viable option for what I want and expect.

The 466 can make up to 600 HP with stock injectors and fuel lines, so really all I'm going to have to do is rebuild it, which I can do in my garage with a 1200$ rebuild kit... and pump work, and a turbo setup.
Of course the little bits and pieces will add up, and the drivetrain will be expensive, but once it's done, it will deliver.

I think I can do this for under 40,000$, and I believe it will get more miles on it for cheaper than brand new.

Old 04-20-2012, 05:01 PM
Kajtek1
Postmaster
I am die-hard hobbyist and what is called in Europe "gold fingers" so I did several conversion/restorations in my life.
But sad truth is that well over 90% of those hobby project never got finished and only small percentage of lucky sellers get 5-10 cents resale value on each invested dollar. Hours of labor of love not counted.
Good luck to you anyway.

Old 04-20-2012, 05:05 PM
Papa Tiger
Temporarily Deactivated
Received 3,432 Likes on 2,347 Posts
I don't follow the reasoning of needing to have a new vehicle every 3 years for work but a rebuilt 2nd truck with no or few emissions equipment as a workabel one these days, no mater what the laws are in your community are. The simple fact is what you dream of having again is a killer. The particulates the old diesel put out were deadly. enough said.

Old 04-20-2012, 06:45 PM
T diesel
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I agree with the op as well.

Old 04-20-2012, 07:45 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
I am die-hard hobbyist and what is called in Europe "gold fingers" so I did several conversion/restorations in my life.
But sad truth is that well over 90% of those hobby project never got finished and only small percentage of lucky sellers get 5-10 cents resale value on each invested dollar. Hours of labor of love not counted.
Good luck to you anyway.
This isn't to make money.

This is to make a truck that will live up to standards of pre-emission diesels.

I don't care if someone tells me it's worth 1.00$ once it's done.... as long as it's done properly, I'll be happy for a long long time.

Old 04-20-2012, 08:01 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Papa Tiger
I don't follow the reasoning of needing to have a new vehicle every 3 years for work but a rebuilt 2nd truck with no or few emissions equipment as a workabel one these days, no mater what the laws are in your community are. The simple fact is what you dream of having again is a killer. The particulates the old diesel put out were deadly. enough said.
The XX years old replace requirement is just part of the contract. I get paid 80$/ day plus 1.00$/ km for my truck, which needs to be no older than xx. If I did'nt like it, I could leave.

I don't see why you'd think my old engine'd diesel would be any worse than a tuned new diesel with the emission systems disabled and removed.

Old 04-20-2012, 09:14 PM
Kajtek1
Postmaster
By the time you finish the project, US will catch up with the rest of the World and new 25 mpg 600HP truck passing 2025 emissions will zoom by.
Did you hijack your own topic BTW?

Old 04-20-2012, 09:23 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
By the time you finish the project, US will catch up with the rest of the World and new 25 mpg 600HP truck passing 2025 emissions will zoom by.
Did you hijack your own topic BTW?

There are many ways to cheaply get 600 HP right now.
I am interested in having something lasts more that a few year before having major issues.

The way things are going, this feels like the right move, for me anyways.

And yes, it appears I self-hijacked.

I hope you can see how a work truck has no benefit of being diesel, in my situation.

Old 04-20-2012, 09:25 PM
Kajtek1
Postmaster
What I get from this your work truck is garage queen. No doubt you don't need diesel for that.
Talking about reliable engines, I do own 40 years old Detroit in my motorhome. Even parked for 12 months it starts in few seconds. Those very good 8V71 are still around if you don't care about smoke.

Old 04-20-2012, 09:29 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
I would'nt say garage queen, theres a lot of offroading in the oilfield business.

I also have a few side 'endeavours' which require trailers with heavier loads. Certainly not f-150 material, but I think if I use a gas f250 for work, and have my diesel at home, things should make a little more sense.

Old 04-20-2012, 09:48 PM
dualwheels66
Posting Guru
Parkland I would agree with your plan, buy a gas truck for work and the Diesel play-tow truck. How about a Cummins in that Superduty?

Old 04-20-2012, 09:52 PM
Kajtek1
Postmaster
Originally Posted by parkland
I would'nt say garage queen, theres a lot of offroading in the oilfield business.

I also have a few side 'endeavours' which require trailers with heavier loads. Certainly not f-150 material, but I think if I use a gas f250 for work, and have my diesel at home, things should make a little more sense.

Personally I see no sense in keeping 2 trucks to put 8000 miles a year regardless the engine, but it is your money.

Quick Reply: Why I might just buy a gas truck instead of a diesel next time....