Bought a 6.0L with 212k miles...need some advice - Page 3 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

Bought a 6.0L with 212k miles...need some advice

Notices
6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Bought a 6.0L with 212k miles...need some advice

Old 11-13-2012, 11:45 PM
bismic
Post Fiend
bismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputation
You will get better advice here than PSH.com.

Some videos are helpful, some contain misinformation.

Old 11-14-2012, 09:20 AM
ajsemtb
Senior User
ajsemtb is starting off with a positive reputation.
Well for us new owners I would like to know what that "mis information " is. Cuz I've been watching them and I wouldn't know it if he was mis informing me . Anything in particular stand out bismic? Thx

Old 11-14-2012, 10:30 AM
Misky6.0
Post Fiend
Misky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputation
Welcome to FTE and the 6.0 addition...

Some folks decide to sell their vehicles because they found out
something costly needed to be fixed - not saying it's true with yours....

The SG2 (or equiv) will let you monitor tons of vital info which will
confirm whether things are in fact perfect or not with your 6.0...

Having a 20* delta between ECT and EOT isn't gonna effect your
towing experience, (unless you have the flash that monitors the delta and throws the wrench lite)
but I'd sure want to know if the oil cooler is
compromised so I can replace it at - my convenience - before it causes more costly damage
often at a really bad moment on a trip.

Good luck and enjoy the 6.0...

Old 11-14-2012, 07:50 PM
bismic
Post Fiend
bismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by ajsemtb View Post
Well for us new owners I would like to know what that "mis information " is. Cuz I've been watching them and I wouldn't know it if he was mis informing me . Anything in particular stand out bismic? Thx
I haven't watched all of the videos (just because I don't feel that they are worth the time for me), but .............

He states to use the wrong transmission fluid in one video (he says Mercon V).
He states that our coolant (Ford Gold) is Propylene Glycol - it is Ethylene Glycol.
He states thet we should add "ProLong" to our engine oil - that it is crucial to longevity. Our engines just do not need "Prolong".
With the 7.3L he kept insisting that owners needed to change the HPOP oil. That is silly. Just because you can't drain all of the oil, it isn't a problem. Our 6.0L engines retain 3 to 4 quarts of old oil - no problem.

His EDAS is just a pressure gauge with some over-sold emotion on criticality. He just makes a HUGE deal over how important it is. I agree that a pressure gauge is very helpful, but when an engine pukes (or you lose coolant) it is the time to install a pressure gauge - isn't really required before. A simple pressure gauge is a lot cheaper than the EDAS.

The last one needs a little discussion .....
He states that the degas cap can ruin the engine when it does not hold - that is silly. Our vehicles operate with a degas bottle and not a pressure relief radiator cap. The pressure in the system is generated by liquid expansion. If the cap does not hold pressure, you should still have plenty of protection against boiling the coolant if the concentration is correct and you do not hot-rod it with a heavy tune. This assumes you have the proper coolant in it and your head gaskets aren't already leaking. The main issue with the degas cap (relieving too early) is not that big of an issue and Ford already issued an updated part. Just replace the cap first if you see puking - then investigate further if puking continues.

I don't recall any more specifically, but I know there were a couple more at least. It is enough to say - take it all with a grain of salt.

Old 11-14-2012, 08:26 PM
ajsemtb
Senior User
Interesting, I actually found the vid about the cap and pressures based on temp intriguing. But i have no reason to argue for or against. what is your opinion on prolong w the bypass filter and extended oil change intervals w diagnostics of the oil samples?

Old 11-14-2012, 08:48 PM
bismic
Post Fiend
I will always err on the side of conservatism (at least always try to).

For that reason, I will never advocate extended oil change intervals.

Old 11-14-2012, 10:03 PM
Abram
Junior User
Abram is starting off with a positive reputation.
Mercon V

Bismic I just had the tranny fluid and filter exchanged with Mercon V . I put about 500 miles on it already...did I screw up? what should I use instead. Thanks.

Old 11-14-2012, 10:59 PM
bismic
Post Fiend
Do NOT use Mercon V. Get the Mercon V fluid out of there as soon as possible. Have a "heated flush" done to get the fluid out of the Torque Converter (don't just drain and refill)

Use Mercon SP or Mercon LV

Old 11-14-2012, 11:32 PM
bismic
Post Fiend
Abram - please post a link to the PSN video that recommended the Mercon V. I bet it is PSH.com. If so, I think this proves the point pretty well ...........

Old 11-15-2012, 08:17 AM
ajsemtb
Senior User
Its the fluid filters and fuel video. Or the 3 f's video. I just saw it a day or so ago. Should somebody tell Bill his information is not accurate?

Old 11-15-2012, 08:18 AM
bismic
Post Fiend
He's been told.

Old 11-16-2012, 08:13 PM
Abram
Junior User
Abram is starting off with a positive reputation.
Bismic.

This is what it was put on the transmission. Should I take the truck to the dealer to do the hot flush and replaced the fluid ASAP (with what they recomend?) . I hope it is not to late. Also, I have a little over 1k miles already on it...not 500 like i stated before. Thank you all for the advice.

Old 11-16-2012, 10:35 PM
bismic
Post Fiend
Wrong stuff - it said not to use it in vehicles that use Mercon SP.

Flush it out quickly.

Old 11-17-2012, 12:02 AM
robertcoogan
New User
robertcoogan is starting off with a positive reputation.
You could run biodiesel (not plain WVO blend). Even running as little as 5% bio in your tank will help extend the life of the engine, but will loosen up all sorts of gunk when you first run it. I run 100% biodiesel in my 2006 6L and 30-35 days after the first tank the filter was nasty. But now it runs great.

WVO in a blend can polymerize on the injectors and other parts over time. Especially if you live in a cold climate. Bio won't. But both are affected by the cold (WVO more so).

Old 11-17-2012, 12:16 AM
bismic
Post Fiend
In the transmission?