Notices
1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Dad's ZF5 Swap

Old 03-25-2015, 06:54 PM
RL250
Posting Guru
RL250 has a great reputation on FTE.RL250 has a great reputation on FTE.RL250 has a great reputation on FTE.RL250 has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis View Post
Yep. I would say "I don't know what I was thinking" when I used the 351W automatic tranny starter and moved the ring gear forward. But, I wasn't thinking. The 351M/400 flywheel is the same diameter and has the same ring gear as the 460. So, if we put a spacer in and move the flywheel on a 400 back to where a 460's flywheel is, why not use a 460's starter?

I need to do more research to ensure that'll work, but I think it will. And I would go with a PMGR starter to get the extra torque with less current and a smaller footprint.
If we go with the PMGR starter, would we need any additional wiring? Once we get all this sorted we can create a master parts list for more efficient swaps.

Old 03-25-2015, 06:59 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.
I owe Tim a list of all the pieces and steps so he can create a complete off-the-shelf kit. That would facilitate converting to a ZF for a lot of people who don't want to piece it together or who fear the do-it-yourself approach.

As for extra wiring, none is needed. The PMGR has a solenoid on it, much like a GM starter, so the solenoid on the fender has an easy life. In fact, some vehicles went to a Bosch-style relay to pull in the starter-mounted solenoid, so that's my plan.

Old 03-25-2015, 07:03 PM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant
ArdWrknTrk has a superb reputationArdWrknTrk has a superb reputationArdWrknTrk has a superb reputationArdWrknTrk has a superb reputationArdWrknTrk has a superb reputationArdWrknTrk has a superb reputationArdWrknTrk has a superb reputationArdWrknTrk has a superb reputationArdWrknTrk has a superb reputationArdWrknTrk has a superb reputationArdWrknTrk has a superb reputation
Extra wiring, yes, you need to add a 12Ga. trigger wire from the fender relay to the starter's solenoid.
The existing starter cable moves to the "hot" side of the fender relay.

Old 03-25-2015, 07:05 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by ArdWrknTrk View Post
Extra wiring, yes, you need to add a 12Ga. trigger wire from the fender relay to the starter's solenoid.
The existing starter cable moves to the "hot" side of the fender relay.
Oops, I missed that. Yes, you are right and I'm wrong.

Old 06-16-2015, 09:29 AM
sep3bub
New User
sep3bub is starting off with a positive reputation.
Okay, so who is this Tim guy and did he ever do this "kit" I think this is just what I need!! Thanks!!

Old 06-16-2015, 09:36 AM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant
ArdWrknTrk has a superb reputationArdWrknTrk has a superb reputationArdWrknTrk has a superb reputationArdWrknTrk has a superb reputationArdWrknTrk has a superb reputationArdWrknTrk has a superb reputationArdWrknTrk has a superb reputationArdWrknTrk has a superb reputationArdWrknTrk has a superb reputationArdWrknTrk has a superb reputationArdWrknTrk has a superb reputation
Tim Meyer is the 335 guru.
He has just posted in his own thread about the adapter that he has a clutch and gearbox to work with.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1377172-tmeyer-zf5-adaptor-for-335-series-engines.html

Old 06-16-2015, 09:48 AM
ctubutis
ctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by sep3bub View Post
Okay, so who is this Tim guy and did he ever do this "kit" I think this is just what I need!! Thanks!!
Are you referring to this thread in which you talk about having a 460?: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ade-trans.html

Tim's kit is for mating a Zf5 transmission with an engine never offered by the factory in this era so I doubt it's what you're after...

Old 06-16-2015, 10:51 AM
sep3bub
New User
sep3bub is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by ctubutis View Post
Are you referring to this thread in which you talk about having a 460?: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ade-trans.html

Tim's kit is for mating a Zf5 transmission with an engine never offered by the factory in this era so I doubt it's what you're after...

Thanks. I read through the thread and thought it pertained to the 460

Old 07-18-2015, 12:09 AM
4x484150
Elder User
4x484150 has a good reputation on FTE.4x484150 has a good reputation on FTE.4x484150 has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis View Post
Got the holes drilled in the frame and the transmission mounts installed today. To drill the holes I used a combination of drills. First, I used a short center-drill in the air-powered drill shown below. I didn't show a picture of the center-drill, but can if anyone wants to see it, although it is very short and allows the drill to get between the frame rails. Then I used very long drill bits in an electric drill to enlarge the holes from the center-drill by drilling at an angle past the lower edge of the frame. And last, I used a bit that I made out of an old bit that I shortened and then sharpened. Again, it let the drill get between the frame rails and took the holes out to 1/2".

Then I lowered the cab and fenders back down onto the frame, watching to ensure that nothing hit, and then bolted it down. And, there was nothing hitting anywhere! The firewall doesn't hit, the transmission tunnel doesn't hit, and it looks like the inspection cover will clear once it is cut out.

Then I started on the clutch linkage. I got the shipment from LMC in and I think the kindest thing I can say is they do not have what is needed. Instead of the split bushing for the frame-side pivot they sent two of the donut-shaped bushing for the tranny side, which will not work. Second, instead of the lipped seal for the tranny side they sent two felt washers like is used on the frame pivot. I'm not happy and will explain it to them, return the stuff, and get the right stuff from Ford - if I can.

Anyway, I have trial-fit the tranny-side pivot several times, cut on it with a hack saw, ground on it with the grinder, and repeated the above process. And, I finally got it to fit. Then I tried the pivot and discovered that the nut on the back side hits the tranny. But, as shown in the photo below, the nut will fit a bit off of where the hole is drilled (punched?), so I'll either have to make a new piece or, more likely, fill it in with the welder and re-drill the hole where the nut will fit. And, in order to help someone in the future I'll trace the pieces out before I install them.

As for the link to the release arm, it looks like it will just clear the bracket where the slave cylinder would go, so no modification needs to be done to the tranny - and I like that idea since I don't want to do something that is irreversible. However, I will have to make a longer link as the one for the NP435 isn't long enough to reach the release arm.

Sorry about the pictures. This is the 2nd night in a row that FTE has shown me the pic's in a preview but apparently deleted them when doing the post.
So just to clarify Gary, You were able to use the original cross member when installing the ZF5, correct?

Do you have a specific measurement of how far you had to redrill holes?

Old 07-18-2015, 06:56 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Yes, I was able to use the original crossmember. And I moved it back about 3/4", but didn't get a precise measurement. But I can get it tomorrow if you need it.

Old 07-18-2015, 08:50 PM
4x484150
Elder User
4x484150 has a good reputation on FTE.4x484150 has a good reputation on FTE.4x484150 has a good reputation on FTE.
That measurement would be handy, thank you. I can not find a ZF5 cross member around here to save my life!

Old 07-18-2015, 09:00 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
I'll go up to the body shop and measure the frame on Monday. But, the cab is sitting on it so I may have to guestimate.

Old 07-20-2015, 04:39 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Well, I went up there but John wasn't there and the place was locked up. Maybe tomorrow?

Old 07-21-2015, 09:02 AM
4x484150
Elder User
Sure, whenever you have the chance. I'm not in any rush at this point, but I am gathering info, and have been reading your Rebuild and Mods thread.

Old 08-03-2015, 12:01 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Finally got to go up to see Dad's truck today and got the measurements for the holes in the top of the frame for the crossmember supports. On the driver's side the holes are 1 7/16" behind the original holes and 1/3/8" on the passenger's side. I don't know why the difference, but it is probably due to some layout and drilling differences between the sides.

Here's a pic of one side:

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dad's ZF5 Swap

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.