1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Things to look for: considering 2005 F250 5.4L purchase

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 02:28 PM
Timothy Zimmerman
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Things to look for: considering 2005 F250 5.4L purchase

I've been reading a lot of threads, trying to get a sense of what to look for when evaluating a truck that I'm considering purchasing. It's a 2005 F250 5.4L, 4x4, ext. cab, VERY CLEAN interior, good exterior, 130K miles. (The only reason I mention the interior is that it may be a reflection of the prior owner's mechanical care.) Other than that observation, the guy I'm buying it from has only owned it for just over a year and has no records from the prior (I believe, initial) owner.

I know about the spark plug problem -- how could I tell if they've been changed?

What other things to look for with respect to mechanical condition?

I'm not adverse to spending some money to get some stuff fixed b/c it's a good deal on the front end, but I'd obviously like to avoid any major problems if I can. If it matters, I am only buying this to haul materials and for camping, so probably 3K miles/year tops. Given my level of mechanical knowledge -- admittedly low -- would a pre-purchase inspection be a must have?

Thanks everyone, great site here.

Last edited by Timothy Zimmerman; 04-18-2012 at 02:29 PM. Reason: add
Old 04-18-2012, 03:09 PM
shaneinga
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have the 2 V 5.4 and am glad that I do. The 3V 5.4, which is in that truck has as you stated spark plug issues, though I doubt it has gone this long without a tune up so I am sure those are taken care of.

5.4s are known to VCT issues, and Cam Phaser issues that the older 2V 5.4s did not have.

Ford also recommends you run a 5w20 synthetic with motorcraft oil filters. Which is more expensive than an average oil change.

I would at least run an OASIS and Carfax reports on it, and if it was my money it would definitely have to be looked over before I spent another dime on it.

I am sure some people here who have the 5.4 3V will chime in.

I would check the ball joints too. Those are expensive to replace and are known to go bad on F250s. Mine has 130 thousand and I did ball joints on mine at around 115 thousand.

A clean interior can be a weekend worth of work or 130 dollar job at the Autobutler at a Ford dealership. You will not believe how clean Ford can get an otherwise filthy truck for 130 dollars.

I take my work F250s up there once a year and have them detailed. They hate seeing them come in and they come out shining like a new dime.

Carfax, Oasis, and take it by a dealership and have it looked over. At 130 thousand miles you could be getting into a lot more expense than you realize. There is nothing on this truck that is cheap to replace. Well almost nothing.

Old 04-18-2012, 03:10 PM
maverick22
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You're already aware of the sparkplugs, that's the biggie. With 130,000miles they SHOULD have already been changed if the original owner followed Ford's maintenance schedule which I believe was 100,000. It's tough to tell by looking without pulling one out which is obviously a risk. You could look to see if they're perhaps aftermarket, that would be a dead givaway. You can also request an OASIS report from a Ford Dealer which will show the work that Ford has done to it.

There are a couple other peculiar quirks to be aware of for 2005's. First one is the fuel injectors, they got a bad batch and they've been known to fail. Ford issued an extended warranty but you're just out of that at 130,000. I wouldn't let that worry me though, an inejector is about $40. The next was some of the very early 2005's had a bad snap ring in the (auto)transmission that's been known to fall off and exit through the side of the case. I believe they corrected it somewhere around February or March though. Do a search on here to find the date and learn more about it. You can see the build date on the driver's side door jamb sticker. Mine is an early one though and as far as I know it's never been changed and is still going strong at 93,000. Ford only issued a recall for the snowplow prep pkg equipped trucks so either they were being cheap or thought it was only a major risk with the constant shifting back and forth. Your guess is as good as mine.

Other than that they're great trucks, I love mine. I'm sure you're aware but it's the first year of the coil sprung front end and the Torqshift transmission which is a big improvement over the old one. They also got bigger brakes that year which necessitated the switch to 17"+ rims/tires - so be prepared for expensive tires. 2005 was also the first year to offer the integrated trailer brake controller and upfitter switches which are also nice features, but you didn't mention if this one has them or not.

It doesn't sound like you're going to work it very hard so it should last you a long time, welcome and good luck! Be sure to post pics if you decide to get it.

Old 04-18-2012, 03:28 PM
Timothy Zimmerman
New User
Thanks to both of you, lots of good stuff in there. I didn't actually realize that the OASIS system had info on gas trucks, I thought it was only for diesel; I will check into it. I'm planning to go and drive it tonight and will get the VIN at that time. While I'm there, I'll do my best to try to run down some more maintenance history and snap a picture of the doorjam sticker so I can learn a bit more about the build date. The tires are nearly brand new -- I had a feeling they would be expensive, so I was glad about that.

Old 04-18-2012, 03:33 PM
shaneinga
Elder User
OASIS is a Ford report. Though it does not show repairs that were paid for by the owner/owners of the vehicle.

Shows VIN, recall work, warranty work, miles sold when new, axle code, transmission, build date, etc etc.

Old 04-18-2012, 03:34 PM
Timothy Zimmerman
New User
I didn't realize that, thanks for the tip.

Old 04-18-2012, 03:36 PM
maverick22
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by shaneinga
5.4s are known to VCT issues, and Cam Phaser issues that the older 2V 5.4s did not have.

Ford also recommends you run a 5w20 synthetic with motorcraft oil filters. Which is more expensive than an average oil change.
I would check the ball joints too. Those are expensive to replace and are known to go bad on F250s. Mine has 130 thousand and I did ball joints on mine at around 115 thousand.
I'll give you the Cam Phasers, but I've never had any problems w/ them nor the VCT. You should know if it has a problem by listening to it and it likely would have shown up by now.

Oil is semi-synthetic and you can buy Motorcraft brand in gallon jugs as well as the filter at Walmart, $25 total. Certainly no worse than any previous truck.

Good call on the ball joints and other things like that, w/ 130,000 miles if none of that stuff has been done it's certainly due. Another thing is "death wobble" but again, you would most definitely know that after driving it.

Old 04-18-2012, 03:40 PM
Timothy Zimmerman
New User
I've heard the term "death wobble" before, but never experienced it. Can you describe what to look for? I'm guessing it's simply massive shaking at highway speeds?

Old 04-18-2012, 03:50 PM
shaneinga
Elder User
Old 04-18-2012, 03:55 PM
Timothy Zimmerman
New User
WOW, what an intense video, thanks.