1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

North American Transit: RWD, Twin Turbo Eco-Boost v6 (Ford press Release!)

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 09:35 PM
95e150CW
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
North American Transit: RWD, Twin Turbo Eco-Boost v6 (Ford press Release!)

Ford

Uh, honestly, I was just joking back on april fools... still, one step closer!

Old 04-18-2012, 05:58 AM
PStruwing
Senior User
April Fools was a blown 5.4! But....

This press release shows that the drive train will be directly from the F series as I posted earlier. There is also a release about a diesel too in the Transit, which I expect to go into the F-series.

Hot rumor is a Natural Gas version too! Now that I will buy to bus my family around.

Old 04-18-2012, 06:42 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,393 Likes on 1,102 Posts
Hey PST----you did mention the F-Series looking drive line in the video posted before---you might be onto something. Once I stopped and started the video several times it was easier to see----I couldn't help noticing there's no signs of a frame though. I'd love to crawl under a Transit once they hit the showrooms.

The natural gas version would be great for city driving, thinking couriers or FedEx/UPS fleets or similar. I don't know much about the NGV's or the infrastructure available for refueling so that would be a point of interest for me if purchasing one.

Thanks for the link 95e150CW! (We need to get you a shorter screen name! )

Old 04-18-2012, 09:38 AM
95e150CW
Elder User
Originally Posted by PStruwing
April Fools was a blown 5.4! But....

This press release shows that the drive train will be directly from the F series as I posted earlier. There is also a release about a diesel too in the Transit, which I expect to go into the F-series.

Hot rumor is a Natural Gas version too! Now that I will buy to bus my family around.
My april fools was a tuned ecoboost v6 with awd and a stick. Step 1: complete! Steps 2 and 3: YOU BETTER DO IT FORD!

Old 04-21-2012, 05:36 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
Earlier today I test drove an EcoBoost F150, and I have to say that you guys are gonna impressed if you ever drive one. I've had a 6.4L and 6.7L diesel trucks before, and this thing drove better than either one. It's an animal compared to any naturally aspirated engine I've ever driven, and it makes the V10 seem anemic in comparison IMHO.

Of course there's no way to tell how easy it is to work on just yet, or for that matter long term reliability. But it's a blast to drive!

Old 04-22-2012, 06:04 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by Crazy001
Earlier today I test drove an EcoBoost F150, and I have to say that you guys are gonna impressed if you ever drive one. I've had a 6.4L and 6.7L diesel trucks before, and this thing drove better than either one. It's an animal compared to any naturally aspirated engine I've ever driven, and it makes the V10 seem anemic in comparison IMHO.

Of course there's no way to tell how easy it is to work on just yet, or for that matter long term reliability. But it's a blast to drive!
This might be of interest then: What the Inside of a Tortured Ford EcoBoost V-6 Looks Like - PickupTrucks.com News

If the EccoBoost has this sort of reliability under extreme conditions it might be just the ticket for repair-phobic types!

Old 04-22-2012, 08:06 AM
PStruwing
Senior User
I have yet to hear one complaint from an Eco-boost owner. The ones I have driven seem great, too bad the current E is not getting it.

Old 04-22-2012, 08:31 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
Originally Posted by JWA
This might be of interest then: What the Inside of a Tortured Ford EcoBoost V-6 Looks Like - PickupTrucks.com News

If the EccoBoost has this sort of reliability under extreme conditions it might be just the ticket for repair-phobic types!
Yeah, I remember watching those videos when the EcoBoost first came out. I have a problem with their figures though. The first thing that I noticed was how they equated 300 hours on the dyno to 150,000 miles. Even at a 60 MPH average it would take 2,500 hours to go that many miles. And yeah, I get that they abused this thing far more than anyone ever could, but at the same time I have a tough time with the statement of an equivalent 150,000 miles.

Not saying that it's not a great engine, because if I bought an F150 tomorrow it would have that engine in it. But how do we know how well that high pressure fuel system is gonna hold up in ten years? What about those expen$ive turbos?

And finally, Ford has been doing durability testing like that for years. Any one of the modular engines would be able to do just what that EB test demonstrated. I'm not saying this to detract from the EB at all, just that Ford makes some tough engines!

Old 04-23-2012, 05:35 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Oh, I'm fully with you on the possibly inflated or potentially exaggerated hours/mileage claims. Once upon a time it was speculated a 500 mile race NASCAR-style was equivalent to 100K for a normally driven street car. This was in relation to brakes, wheel bearings and in general engine wear. Of course that was circa 1982 or so--today's race engines just don't resemble anything stock any longer!

Indeed the unknown component issues will be of high interest. Not being a fan of turbos in general I'd be skittish about them,know all too well the costs associated with servicing/replacing them on a variety of vehicles. They don't seem to be the most reliable part of any vehicle they're found

I've often said I'm a long-time GM performance fan but I chose a Ford for my work truck based upon their demonstrated durability. I'm looking to replace the existing van for another new-to-me E-Series but this time my experience gives me even greater appreciation for and confidence what The Blue Oval Brigade can produce. Despite the spark plug issues with the Modular Motors I'm very impressed by them---hope the EB has that same degree of reliability.

But ya gotta admit that article was one great hunk of advertising bravado and hyperbole yeah?