Oil & Lubrication  

Sea foamed x2 NO SMOKE

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 03:17 PM
5.4T
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Sea foamed x2 NO SMOKE

well as the title says, i sea foamed my Navigator x2 1 last month and today, and i never did see any smoke come out either time i sea foamed it!! Can anyone tell me why? i poured 1/3 cup of it on the top intake manifold hose turned it off 3min later (had 2 go) ran made a 30min trip and never did see any smoke.

i cant understand it my ex-expedition when i did it it smoke the whole yard navi non it making me worried

Old 04-13-2012, 03:54 PM
Beechkid
Received 210 Likes on 160 Posts
I don't understand why you would use seafoam in your tank/engine, etc in the 1st place for almost anything- especially when there are very good quality, specific products available to address issues without the potential of damaging coatings, e-components, etc.

Old 04-13-2012, 04:47 PM
5.4T
Elder User
well i figured since i got 150000miles on ot now i thought it might be time to clean the internal parts like i did my expo while ago

Old 04-13-2012, 06:41 PM
Beechkid
Originally Posted by 5.4T
well i figured since i got 150000miles on ot now i thought it might be time to clean the internal parts like i did my expo while ago
ok, if you need a fuel injection cleaning, do that, I highly recommend BG products. If you are looking to clean the intake, IAC, etc, I recommend using BG products, disassemble each component and clean with pipe cleaner brushes, etc.

Old 04-16-2012, 12:12 PM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,094 Likes on 994 Posts
Seafoam does work very well.... To make it smoke, ya gotta let the vacuum pull it into your intake from the can..... let it suck up about a 1/2 can. Pour rest into your fuel tank.

Make sure you are having someone hold their foot on the go pedal up near 2000 revs and further if it starts to choke. Lot's use the vacuum hose to the power brakes.

Once it's in there keep on the gas until it idles ok, then turn off ignition for 20 minutes to let it do it's job. Then take it for a smokey run through the neignborhood.

Old 04-16-2012, 12:43 PM
Beechkid
Here the issue as I see it...you have avehicle which is in need of maitenance, some overdo (such as fuel injection cleaning). I will not say the Seafoam is snake oil, because it is not, and while many will state (rightfully so) that it has cured issues, if you look cloasely at their issues they are caused by long term buildup of inadequate maintenance and almost anything that you would throw in a engine to clean it out will be a benefit result. Here is the issue with seafoam, it has very corrsive properties with potential damage to fuel delivery and intake systems. Anytime that much smoke is created, it is traveling throughout the remaining system of the vehicle.....and what are the secondary effects as a result of that.....we rarely hear.

There are excellent products out there designed specifically to address these conditions. For routine clenaing/maintenance/lubrication of the fuel delivery system (including injectors), just use Marvel Mystery Oil, about 3 oz per gallon of gas every 6 months.....it is extremely mild, very inexpensive and clean/lubicates the fuel injectors, etc. But if you need to do a fuel injection cleaning, use products that are designed specifially for that such as BG Products......they are very effective, have a fraction of the corrosiveness of Seamfoam (and similiar products) and are designed to specifically not induce secondary damage to cats, sensors, etc.

Old 04-17-2012, 04:19 PM
5.4T
Elder User
Originally Posted by Beechkid
ok, if you need a fuel injection cleaning, do that, I highly recommend BG products. If you are looking to clean the intake, IAC, etc, I recommend using BG products, disassemble each component and clean with pipe cleaner brushes, etc.
well if i did decided to take off the intake man, wouldnt i have to buy a new gasket?

Originally Posted by Beechkid
Here the issue as I see it...you have avehicle which is in need of maitenance, some overdo (such as fuel injection cleaning). I will not say the Seafoam is snake oil, because it is not, and while many will state (rightfully so) that it has cured issues, if you look cloasely at their issues they are caused by long term buildup of inadequate maintenance and almost anything that you would throw in a engine to clean it out will be a benefit result. Here is the issue with seafoam, it has very corrsive properties with potential damage to fuel delivery and intake systems. Anytime that much smoke is created, it is traveling throughout the remaining system of the vehicle.....and what are the secondary effects as a result of that.....we rarely hear.

There are excellent products out there designed specifically to address these conditions. For routine clenaing/maintenance/lubrication of the fuel delivery system (including injectors), just use Marvel Mystery Oil, about 3 oz per gallon of gas every 6 months.....it is extremely mild, very inexpensive and clean/lubicates the fuel injectors, etc. But if you need to do a fuel injection cleaning, use products that are designed specifially for that such as BG Products......they are very effective, have a fraction of the corrosiveness of Seamfoam (and similiar products) and are designed to specifically not induce secondary damage to cats, sensors, etc.
im not following you, my navi is just had a tune up not to long ago .

Old 04-17-2012, 07:38 PM
rsylvstr
Cargo Master
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by BPofMD
Lot's use the vacuum hose to the power brakes.

Once it's in there keep on the gas until it idles ok, then turn off ignition for 20 minutes to let it do it's job. Then take it for a smokey run through the neignborhood.
that's how i did my 5.4 and it sucked it right in....

Old 04-17-2012, 08:27 PM
5.4T
Elder User
well it becasue on the brake hose goes to one side of the engine and not evenly distributed across all cyelinders if you look closer i used the on thats on top of the cover which goes into all of them

Old 04-19-2012, 05:35 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
You should have 4 converters on your truck which will try their best to handle the Seafoam. Honestly I think Seafoam does more harm than good in most instances. Most people who flood their engine with the stuff think they are doing good but the actual result is the opposite. Some may even think the smoke is "carbon" when in actuality its the Seafoam not burning worth crap that is making the smoke. Run a good fuel injector clean like Chevron Techron and don't baby the engine all the time and you won't have issues with carbon. And yes I've used Seafoam and found nothing special about it and it was mediocre at best at removing deposits. At least MMO (far better product IMO) has some lubricity to it which helps lube the top end.

Old 04-22-2012, 06:50 AM
Ed
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Agree completely with DKF. I do not want all that smoke and crud ruining my catalytic converters - why do people think that smoke is simply easily dissolved as a harmless mist? IT's not. Nothing causes more annoying engine "issues" than cats that are plugged or even partially plugged.

That goes for you who think a modern, fuel injected vehicle, needs to idle for 15-25 minutes every morning to "warm up"! All those people are doing is overheating and weakening the internal components of the cats. Most people who do that extended, needless, wastefull idling have no idea the problems they are causing for their vehicles! A muffler shop owner once told me that an engine idling, can be warm to the touch (warm hoses ect.) yet the catalytic converters can be over 600 degrees in a very short time (212 boils water).

Catalytic coverters are designed to run hot, but with and engine under load. Huge difference than with needless extended idling.

Old 04-28-2012, 11:58 AM
400Nut
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The instructions say to allow it to hot soak in a warm engine for 10-15 min. You can't tell me that the seafoam doesn't evaporate as soon as it hits hot engine components. I just tried some a couple weeks ago on my Chevy and nothing changed. Also, I agree that the smoke is just unburned seafoam. But, I also agree that it could be a good fuel stabalizer/supplement. As far as it cleaning out the carbon in an engine... yeah right, pull the other one! I've had trouble scraping carbon of internal components with tools, I doubt dumping distillates on it would do a better job.

Old 04-29-2012, 09:30 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
As far as it cleaning out the carbon in an engine... yeah right, pull the other one! I've had trouble scraping carbon of internal components with tools, I doubt dumping distillates on it would do a better job.
Exactly.

On higher mileage vehicles all you have to do is pull the throttle body and look into the intake manifold with a flashlight at all the carbon. Try to scrape it off with your fingernail, its on there. Hell I even had to scrape carbon off throttle body blades even when soaked with Berrymans. Berrymans dissolves carbon 100 times better than seafoam does and it still took elbow grease.

Even for fuel stabilizing there are far better products on the market than Seafoam for that task IMO.