6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Firestone R4 Tech Hybrid Air-Over-Leaf Rear Suspension

Old 05-08-2012, 10:01 AM
TexasA&M
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Duh! Now I'm following, thanks for explaining, sorry for being dense.

So on to my next question (they never seem to end!) - instead of a manifold, could you have used T fittings and just tapped into the necessary lines where you wanted to run different ones? All of the lines are pressurized the same as the tank (except the lines going from the HCV to the bags), so this would work as well, right (assuming you used all the same size lines, or the necessary reducers).

I take it back, my tank has 5 ports... there is a drain at the bottom.

A 5ga tank would definitely be cool, but where are you going to mount it? I'm interested in checking that out!

Old 05-08-2012, 10:15 AM
porthole
Cargo Master

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by TexasA&M
So on to my next question (they never seem to end!) - instead of a manifold, could you have used T fittings and just tapped into the necessary lines where you wanted to run different ones? All of the lines are pressurized the same as the tank (except the lines going from the HCV to the bags), so this would work as well, right (assuming you used all the same size lines, or the necessary reducers).
Tees would definitely work, and I have a variety of tees, elbows street El's etc (I am also a boater).

But I just happened to have had that nice, polished, ported, anodized aluminun manifold that I got years ago for a SCUBA project sitting in my many bins of parts.

So - I used an O2 clean manifold that I probably paid in excess of 40-50 bucks, for this project

Using the manifold also allowed me to drill and tap a couple of ports for the fittings I needed instead of using reducers.

As it turns out, if you look at the manifold picture (with no hoses) there is only one reducer used, it is on the valve. I had no more 1/4" PTC connectors (PTC - push to connect air line connectors).

A 5ga tank would definitely be cool, but where are you going to mount it? I'm interested in checking that out!
If you crawl under the truck and look up above the drive shaft ahead, ahead of the hitch, there is a large space there that would probably fit a 20 gallon tank. This is on an 8' bed though.

There are two bed support channels that should be perfect to mount a tank to.

Old 05-08-2012, 11:34 AM
AirLiftCompany
SPONSOR
Install looks very nice. Have you considered running a water trap between the compressor and manifold? The bigger compressors get pretty hot and you will tend to see a good deal of condensation forming. I assume your tank has a petcock to drain with, but depending on the manifolds location to the tank you may get a decent amount accumulating in the manifold.

I only ask as running air tools off that system might not be the best for them. Maybe just a water trap before going to the supply line for aux air?

Old 05-08-2012, 11:55 AM
porthole
Cargo Master

Hey Mike, thanks for chiming in. What you see is temporary.
When i install the bigger tank it will be higher then the compressor, so the compressor supply will run through a trap, maybe with an auto drain, maybe not.
The tank does have a drain, but only one and for me in the wrong location. Although it is on the bottom of the tank, because of the frame rail mounting the tank sits slightly nose high, which is where the drain is.

One advantage to this compressor is I will not be using it to it's capacity 99% of the time. Even then I will be 25 psi under.

As to air tools, it is obvious that what I currently have will not take 1 wheel off let alone 2. I do carry a Snap-on 1/2" drive 18 volt gun which is superior to any air gun I have.

Bigger tank, pressure regulator for tools and air bags (truck and hitch) some more PTC's and a solenoid to operate my Air Lift wireless controller for my hitch - still to come..............

Old 05-08-2012, 12:39 PM
TexasA&M
Elder User
Not to get too off topic, but what kind of air hitch are you running? Sounds pretty interesting....

Old 05-08-2012, 01:35 PM
porthole
Cargo Master

Not to get too off topic, but what kind of air hitch are you running? Sounds pretty interesting....
Interesting - I don't know, Pricey - it is. I did not like the TrialAir Air pin box.though.

I am currently using a MOR/ryde pin box and this hitch.

Air Ride Fifth Wheel Trailer Hitches for Reese Rails...

Old 05-08-2012, 01:39 PM
TexasA&M
Elder User
Once you get everything ironed out, you should have a pretty smooth ride! I was looking at some different things and ran across this air tank; it would probably work out very well for you.

Air Lift Company 12 Gal Air Tank- 12 1/2" H x 44" L with (8) 1/2" Ports - Air Tank

They also have an 8.5ga tank.

Old 05-08-2012, 08:23 PM
porthole
Cargo Master

No way - 12 gallon is too big. The AZ pump is only rated for up to a 5 gallon tank, which I don't get with the 100% duty cycle.

I looked under the truck today, there is plenty of room for a 5 gallon tank of approx 28" in length.

Old 05-11-2012, 10:07 PM
porthole
Cargo Master

Seems customer service is quick to reply when you are interested in buying, and a bit slower after you spend your hard earned cash.......................

Old 05-13-2012, 10:33 AM
porthole
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by porthole
Seems customer service is quick to reply when you are interested in buying, and a bit slower after you spend your hard earned cash.......................
Same goes with a response from Air Zenith with the cheesy supplied wiring for the compressor. That will be in another thread.

Old 05-13-2012, 11:29 AM
Davgt500
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's too bad that some companies are like that, I hope it all gets resolved soon for you. I hate trying to be patient when your in the middle of a project and someone on the other end can't take the time to help you with their problem!

Old 05-13-2012, 05:05 PM
Nkelly
Farkall User

Originally Posted by porthole
If airbagits products was as good as their customer service,they would have the best product on the market.

Old 05-13-2012, 09:12 PM
Davgt500
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Nkelly
If airbagits products was as good as their customer service,they would have the best product on the market.
Are the airbagit suspensions any good?

Old 05-13-2012, 10:49 PM
Nkelly
Farkall User

Originally Posted by Davgt500
Are the airbagit suspensions any good?
Some of the design is good,the control system has some flaws

My compressor exploded

They were happy too send me a repair kit straight away,but wanted me 2 pay for the freight,my argument was:if their compressor didnt explode i wouldnt be having this conversation about freight,in the end i payed for the freight so i could repair the crap compressor..

If i did it again (cuz i miss the better ride) i'd go with Ultimate air-ride
Ultimate Air Ride

Old 05-14-2012, 07:59 AM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow - what a project porthole !!!!

FYI, give us the email address of who you are talking to and maybe a few emails from other 'interested' parties might get you some tech support (if we word it correctly !!!

Following this as we just went over some RR tracks yesterday and the rear end came off the ground even with the bags @ 5 & tires @ 60 psi !!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Firestone R4 Tech Hybrid Air-Over-Leaf Rear Suspension