Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Advice on injector rebuild w/SCT X3 tuner

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 09:06 AM
Greek 350
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Advice on injector rebuild w/SCT X3 tuner

Is anyone out there running modified injectors with the SCT X3 tuner? I have an SCT X3 tuner but have not tuned my truck yet due to other work that I needed to complete first.

The last thing I need to do now is to have my injectors overhauled. I pulled them out yesterday and plan to send them to Rosewood Diesel today and my plan is to go with a stock rebuild, primarily because I'm not sure how the truck will run with Stage 2 injectors using the SCT tuner. Is anyone out there running this combo?

Old 04-13-2012, 03:53 PM
CSIPSD
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Greek 350
Is anyone out there running modified injectors with the SCT X3 tuner? I have an SCT X3 tuner but have not tuned my truck yet due to other work that I needed to complete first.

The last thing I need to do now is to have my injectors overhauled. I pulled them out yesterday and plan to send them to Rosewood Diesel today and my plan is to go with a stock rebuild, primarily because I'm not sure how the truck will run with Stage 2 injectors using the SCT tuner. Is anyone out there running this combo?
What lead you to believe you had an injector issue?

IMHO I would sell the SCT and pick up a TS style chip, if you want to go with stage 2's make sure they are single shot injectors and get tunes to match.

Can you run modded injectors with an SCT, sure, you need to find someone who can write tunes to send to you on the SCT, but there is NO advantage to one.

Old 04-13-2012, 05:22 PM
Greek 350
Freshman User
Originally Posted by CSIPSD
What lead you to believe you had an injector issue?

IMHO I would sell the SCT and pick up a TS style chip, if you want to go with stage 2's make sure they are single shot injectors and get tunes to match.

Can you run modded injectors with an SCT, sure, you need to find someone who can write tunes to send to you on the SCT, but there is NO advantage to one.
I bought this truck knowing I would have to put some work into it but the used car stealer flat lied to me about its condition. So far I've had to replace the belt, tensioner assembly, one of the idler pulleys, glow plug relay, solenoid pack, front brakes including one of the calipers, three door lock actuators, headlights, tail lights, rear view mirror, a few other misc itesm, and lots and lots of cleaning.

The truck has all the symptoms of bad injectors and I've had them buzz tested which they failed horribly and returned codes on every single injector. So I'm sure they are bad.

I'm no expert on tuning but it seems everyone is a cheerleader for whatever they are running which is why I was hoping to find out if anyone out there is actually running the SCT tunes with moded injectors or if it's even possible. That said, can you elaborate a little more on why you said it was possible but that there was NO advantage?

Old 04-13-2012, 05:36 PM
CSIPSD
Postmaster
I bought this truck knowing I would have to put some work into it but the used car stealer flat lied to me about its condition. So far I've had to replace the belt, tensioner assembly, one of the idler pulleys, glow plug relay, solenoid pack, front brakes including one of the calipers, three door lock actuators, headlights, tail lights, rear view mirror, a few other misc itesm, and lots and lots of cleaning.

The truck has all the symptoms of bad injectors and I've had them buzz tested which they failed horribly and returned codes on every single injector. So I'm sure they are bad.
Could have been a wire harness issue, IDM, or any number of other issues. Its very very rare for injectors to go bad, and extremely rare for all of them to go bad.

Just saying what it is.

I'm no expert on tuning but it seems everyone is a cheerleader for whatever they are running which is why I was hoping to find out if anyone out there is actually running the SCT tunes with modded injectors or if it's even possible. That said, can you elaborate a little more on why you said it was possible but that there was NO advantage?
No one is cheerleading here, I don't look good in the outfit and it gives me a horrible wedgie!

SCT programmers are great on newer trucks, 6.0, 6.4 and 6.7... Not the best, but a good programer for these trucks.

The 7.3 uses an older type PCM that there is really no advantage to a hand head programer. In order to change tunes you have to stop and go thru a long and in reality dangerous programing change. There is very limited support for the SCT in the 7.3 world, meaning custom tuning options are also very limited. For a stock truck this is not an issue, but once you start modding these limitations hit hard.

There is NO down side to a TS type chip. There are close to 12 great, well known tuners out there that more or less specialize in the 7.3. You get the ability to change tunes on the fly, from a stock tune to a all out race tune as fast as you can switch the ****. You have more ability to tune and less opportunity to foobar your PCM.

Old 04-13-2012, 06:14 PM
Greek 350
Freshman User
OK, the answers are starting to make more sense to me know that I understand another perspective. Let me help you understand my frame for a moment and see if you have any different advice for me.

I've never even considered programming my truck more than once if the tow program gives me the little boost that I'm looking for. The idea of programming on the fly has never even crossed my mind. I'm just looking for a little more horsepower for towing my 40ft 5th Wheel. If I can get that with the SCT which I've already purchased, then great, I'll probably leave it there and forget it. The reason I started the post is becuase I'm having the injectors overhauled next week and there is almost no difference in the cost of stock vs modded. And so I was hoping to hear if anyone has any experience/knowledge with modded injectors using the SCT program. I'm going with stock overhaul unless I hear from a few members that have modded injectors on their truck with SCT tunes and it all works great.

Old 04-13-2012, 06:28 PM
CSIPSD
Postmaster
OK, the answers are starting to make more sense to me know that I understand another perspective. Let me help you understand my frame for a moment and see if you have any different advice for me.

I've never even considered programming my truck more than once if the tow program gives me the little boost that I'm looking for. The idea of programming on the fly has never even crossed my mind. I'm just looking for a little more horsepower for towing my 40ft 5th Wheel. If I can get that with the SCT which I've already purchased, then great, I'll probably leave it there and forget it. The reason I started the post is becuase I'm having the injectors overhauled next week and there is almost no difference in the cost of stock vs modded. And so I was hoping to hear if anyone has any experience/knowledge with modded injectors using the SCT program. I'm going with stock overhaul unless I hear from a few members that have modded injectors on their truck with SCT tunes and it all works great.
Well that helps a bit...

If I were you, and I am not...

I would have them made into stage 1's... 160cc/stock nozzles... Then have a tune written for your SCT... You will HAVE to get a tune to run the single shot injectors.

I will also assume you have a set of gauges already? EGT, Boost, Tranny temp. If you dont and are not willing to install them then get stock rebuilt injectors.

I truly hope injectors are your issue, I am not sure that they are, I suspect an IDM issue.

Old 04-13-2012, 07:19 PM
Greek 350
Freshman User
Originally Posted by CSIPSD
Well that helps a bit...

If I were you, and I am not...

I would have them made into stage 1's... 160cc/stock nozzles... Then have a tune written for your SCT... You will HAVE to get a tune to run the single shot injectors.

I will also assume you have a set of gauges already? EGT, Boost, Tranny temp. If you dont and are not willing to install them then get stock rebuilt injectors.

I truly hope injectors are your issue, I am not sure that they are, I suspect an IDM issue.
IDM issue? Even though the injectors fail a buzz test, have codes on all of them, have trouble starting in the morning with a lack of power which seems to self correct after warming up and the problem doesn't return until the following morning? I think I'm going to have to go with door number A, injectors Bob Did I mention I did all of the work above. I'm just saying I know how to trouble shoot and turn a wrench.