1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

HIO Silver's Lo-Buck Bumpside Build

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 01:05 AM
Duct Tape Racing
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Youl love the headers both performance and ease of installation. Great all around !
Keep up the good work and progress! I'm gonna follow this for sure

Old 06-28-2012, 01:58 AM
nobearsyet
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Subscribed. And nice work BTW.

Old 06-28-2012, 10:16 AM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by lilsmokey
Man you have quite the project goin on. Your doing a great job. How have you been removing the 40 or so years of muck build up on your engine and tranny?

Cant wait to see it when your done!
In order? .. a metal putty knife, a shard of plexiglass (a non-metallic scraper), wire brushes, a few cans of Gunk HD engine degreaser (the gel type), and an 1800 psi power washer hooked up to my washer's hot water spigot... The muck is thick and there's still more to do.

Originally Posted by Duct Tape Racing
Youl love the headers both performance and ease of installation. Great all around !
Keep up the good work and progress! I'm gonna follow this for sure
Thanks... Yeah man, I'm gonna dig the exhaust improvements. My 73's 390 really woke up after installing Hedman long tubes, dual mandrel-bent 2.5-inch tubes through Moroso Spiral Flows.

Old 07-01-2012, 10:39 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Power Washing, Round III

Saturday I removed the the exhaust manifolds, exhaust system, starter, clutch linkage, and crank pulleys.... Then spent the rest of the day scraping, cleaning, and then another round of Gunk HD gel cleaner, scrubbing and powerwashing. The best way to describe the muck that is coming off is that it is the consistency of gooey tar. The only good thing about it is that it acted as a preservative of the NP's original paint! The bad part is I discovered a leak on the rear aluminum cover. Oh well.

If my progress sounds slow, it is slow. I'm spending alot of time cleaning this rig... But speed is gonna pick up when it's time for assembly...I'm gonna clean and refinish the parts as they are removed cuz I know I'll want to do a quickie job when it comes to install them. Call it a psychological strategy.

Today was spent on refinishing more of the parts that came off. The pulleys are soaking in the electrolysis de-rusting vat. I'll post before and after pics when I pull 'em out tomorrow.

Other stuff completed:
  • Stripped, sanded, and refinished the power steering pump
  • Welded the battery track back together and then primered it.
  • Ordered from Speedway Motors: Wilwood distribution block with adjustable prop valve, stainless brake line clips, tube nuts, and an O2 bung for the future EFI system.
  • Ordered from NPD: Brake caliper seals, master cylinder rebuild kit, brake hoses, clutch Z-bar felts (mine fell apart), new hub dust caps, turn signal gaskets, banjo bolts and copper washers, water pump gasket, fuel pump gasket, intake gaskets (for the Eddy 2105), 180° thermostat, thermostat gasket.
  • Ordered from Summit: 600 cfm Summit carb, Edelbrock intake install kit (PN 8505), and an oil filter adapter gasket.

Old 07-07-2012, 10:37 AM
Modestmar70f100
New User
great job so far man! you've inspired me to get the 42 years of crap off my truck!
keep up the good work!

Old 07-07-2012, 02:15 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Tech Tip: Rust Removal Using Electrolysis

Here is my setup: large plastic tote ($16), some scrap steel, jumper wires, A&H washing soda ($6 at Walmart), and a battery charger.... It's cheap and easy but ya gotta be patient.

More info on this web page: Rust removal by electrolysis

A rusty cast iron power steering pulley:

After sitting overnight in the vat, hit with a wire brush and a water rinse. NO MORE RUST!:

Two coats of Duplicolor self etching primer and two coats of Rustoleum semi-gloss black 500° engine enamel

Old 07-07-2012, 02:26 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Tech Tip: Improved Light Reflectivity

While dismantling the front end, one of the mounting studs snapped off the turn signal lamp housing (left in the pic below). Plus the housing was severely rusted due to a bad gasket. It was fixed by first soaking in the electrolysis vat and the then broken stud was rosette-welded to the housing. After a coat of paint, I used stainless steel duct sealing tape to provide better light reflectivity. Simple.

Old 07-07-2012, 07:12 PM
orich
Lead Driver
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Ha the same thing happen to me while removing them but found one was made from stamped steel & the other was aluminum. Found another replacement aluminum one at pick n pull..
orich

Old 07-10-2012, 12:11 AM
aprosody
Freshman User
Subscribed. Thanks for your help already!

Old 07-20-2012, 08:12 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Life sure is getting in the way and so the lo-buck bumpside build has come to a crawl. One of my tenants moved out after 10 years so the house needs a moderate remodel - full paint, flooring, kitchen paint & counters, and some exterior repairs like a new roof and framing up a new wall to replace a wall of glass panes. Call it an investment in durability and time cuz the house has never really received a re-do since it has been owned in my family. I took over management of the properties in 2003...Yes, I get a cut of the rents and it feeds this hobby of mine.

I received the parts listed above and now am going through my parts room and renewing parts that will eventually make its way onto the truck. Today I dug up the donor 78 brake calipers, scrubbed off the embedded grit and dirt, and got it ready to soak in the electrolysis vat. Using compressed air, the pistons came out without any issue (except for a LOUD pop) and are free of corrosion. Only a lil bit of crud in one caliper. Right now, both are getting de-rusted and I should have a nice pair of calipers by the end of the weekend... painted of course.

Costs:
Caliper rebuild kits (seals & boots) (2) - $11
Copper washers (4) - $1.20
New banjo bolts (2) - $10.80

Old 07-21-2012, 09:50 PM
Grems4ever
Lead Driver
Received 153 Likes on 122 Posts
Subscribed!

This is pretty much what I want to do with my '71 so I want to stay tuned....

Old 07-21-2012, 10:01 PM
lilsmokey
Senior User
Hey i re read your first post and saw you wanted to tack on a 5 speed tranny to your 360. And ive been thinkin about this to but i didnt know there was one to swap on. Have you found one that fits yet?

Old 07-21-2012, 10:11 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Grems4ever
Subscribed! This is pretty much what I want to do with my '71 so I want to stay tuned....
Welcome aboard.

Originally Posted by lilsmokey
Hey i re read your first post and saw you wanted to tack on a 5 speed tranny to your 360. And ive been thinkin about this to but i didnt know there was one to swap on. Have you found one that fits yet?
Sure... A Tremec TKO-500 with the optional input shaft, a QuickTime FE to TKO bellhousing, and of course, a new clutch. Rear gear will have to be changed to 4.11 for a final drive ratio of 2.79 in fifth gear. Here's a source: Tremec 5-Speed Transmission Conversion Kit for Ford - TKO-500, TKO-600, TKO-600 RR

A ZF5 is doable too. This company claims to offer an adapter: High Impact - ZF 5spd

Old 07-22-2012, 12:10 AM
lilsmokey
Senior User
Thanks! Ouch. For that price i might just stick with a 4 speed and 10mpg for the time being. Looks like a nice enough kit. Good luck with your project bud. Ill be watching it happen.

Old 07-22-2012, 08:23 AM
nobearsyet
Tuned
I hear you can use a Dodge NV4500 with an adaptor plate.

Quick Reply: HIO Silver's Lo-Buck Bumpside Build