1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

HIO Silver's Lo-Buck Bumpside Build

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 12:15 AM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by orich
Yup, I was thinking about going with the efi but thought gees I'd be screwed out on the road trying to fix the system if I that a problem with it. Old skool is ez to fix a long the side of the road for an old fart...
orich
Yeah I thought about that too but what the hell, ya know? I figure I'd be in the same spot with a newer vehicle so I'm throwing caution to the wind and I'm gonna live on the edge... with a cell phone and an Auto Club card!!

Old 04-30-2013, 08:57 AM
MIKES 68 F100
Logistics Pro
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Congrats on finally getting that EFI kit , I am real curious as to how it performs and effects mpg .

Old 04-30-2013, 07:17 PM
kwe45919
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sweet. Can't wait to see it in and runnin' and I wouldn't be caught dead without some type of roadside assistance. AAA for me and the wife.....

Old 05-01-2013, 12:35 AM
rockittsled
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Subb'd

if you are currently drivable, could you do a mileage loop for a good comparison?

Old 05-01-2013, 09:41 AM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by rockittsled
Subb'd

if you are currently drivable, could you do a mileage loop for a good comparison?
Before parking the rig, I did a 60-mile freeway loop at 60 mph and got a fabulous 11 MPG.

Old 05-01-2013, 02:39 PM
JEFFFAFA
Hotshot
Received 169 Likes on 149 Posts
Sanderson calls them 'shorties' but they are more half-length to me. In any case, the exhaust system will cost more than what I paid for the dang truck! This in turn, will require 2.5-inch tubing and mufflers. I've got some extra tubing and bends left over from the 73 F-100 but looks like I might also have to scratch using the 2.25-inch Flowmasters take-offs from the 73.

Any of yall ever replace the inlets and outlets of a smaller muffler with larger tubing?

Hio. Check at your local Autozone,Checker,O'reilly for some exhaust adaptors. You should be able to buy them to adapt 2.5 pipe down to your 2.25 mufflers. Or check in to some "cherry bomb" glasspacks. They are cheap, sound good, and have an awesome advertising. "Been disturbing the piece since 1970". (or whatever year I don't remember) Note, The pics are blocked from me here at work so I can't see what you are doing. Bummer. I bet those wheels do look awesome!

Old 05-01-2013, 05:31 PM
boo-yaa138
Senior User
nice build HIO. how much was that efi kit?

Old 05-01-2013, 06:30 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by JEFFFAFA
Originally Posted by HIO Silver
Sanderson calls them 'shorties' but they are more half-length to me. In any case, the exhaust system will cost more than what I paid for the dang truck! This in turn, will require 2.5-inch tubing and mufflers. I've got some extra tubing and bends left over from the 73 F-100 but looks like I might also have to scratch using the 2.25-inch Flowmasters take-offs from the 73.

Any of yall ever replace the inlets and outlets of a smaller muffler with larger tubing?
Hio. Check at your local Autozone,Checker,O'reilly for some exhaust adaptors. You should be able to buy them to adapt 2.5 pipe down to your 2.25 mufflers. Or check in to some "cherry bomb" glasspacks. They are cheap, sound good, and have an awesome advertising. "Been disturbing the peace since 1970". (or whatever year I don't remember) Note, The pics are blocked from me here at work so I can't see what you are doing. Bummer. I bet those wheels do look awesome!
I thought about it again and upsizing the inlets and outlets is a no-go since the internals will still be 2.25-inch.

Adapters? Naaaah. I'm all for a welded mandrel bent system of consistent sizing all the way through. I'll just use the 2.25-inch Flow takeoffs on my 65 Mustang.

I'm not hot about glasspacks.. the fiberglass packing eventually crumbles. I went with Moroso Spiral Flows (an auger style muffler) on my 73 4x4. I might try Summit's house-branded welded mufflers and just get a few more pieces of 2.5-inch tubing.

Originally Posted by boo-yaa138
nice build HIO. how much was that efi kit?
Thanks.

$2,495.. I got the returnless system. I plan on running two fuel pumps just in case one craps out but I'd also like to run dual tanks... gotta give that idea more thought but there is lots of time.

Old 05-01-2013, 07:06 PM
boo-yaa138
Senior User
that's a pretty penny for that kit! i would think about it but that's more then i spent on my engine being rebuilt!

i have some used flowmasters 2.5 inch inlets that i would like to sell. let me know if you're interested.

Old 05-01-2013, 07:12 PM
Gembone
Logistics Pro
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
$2,495.. I got the returnless system.
that's not sticking the "Lo-Buck bumpside build" title.

Old 05-01-2013, 07:46 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Gembone
that's not sticking the "Lo-Buck bumpside build" title.
It is in spirit but there is a method to my madness....the exceptions will be the EFI and, eventually, a TKO trans. I have "saved" money by rebuilding and refurbishing salvage yard finds so I figure money I have not spent can go towards a splurge. Plus the cool factor which is immeasurable and I'll be the guinea pig for yall FTE members to run this system on an FE-equipped truck. Btw, I'm gonna run a 600 cfm Summit carb to do the MPG test loop and then immediately swap it out swap it out for the E-Street.

Savings...Howz a really, really nice decor panel for $12? Or was it $6? Repro from DC is $250. I'll have to find my receipt. The period-correct hubcaps were $1.50 each.

Old 05-01-2013, 07:52 PM
JEFFFAFA
Hotshot
Received 169 Likes on 149 Posts
Hey guys, HioSilver found the ultimate "Candy Store" !! LOL!

Old 05-01-2013, 07:58 PM
Gembone
Logistics Pro
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Everyone I have talked to around here in Vegas says they have to go to Cali to find parts in J/Ys.
I think I need to make some friends in Cali

Old 05-01-2013, 08:14 PM
67-F100
Senior User
Originally Posted by HIO Silver
I thought about it again and upsizing the inlets and outlets is a no-go since the internals will still be 2.25-inch.

Adapters? Naaaah. I'm all for a welded mandrel bent system of consistent sizing all the way through. I'll just use the 2.25-inch Flow takeoffs on my 65 Mustang.

I'm not hot about glasspacks.. the fiberglass packing eventually crumbles. I went with Moroso Spiral Flows (an auger style muffler) on my 73 4x4. I might try Summit's house-branded welded mufflers and just get a few more pieces of 2.5-inch tubing.

Thanks.

$2,495.. I got the returnless system. I plan on running two fuel pumps just in case one craps out but I'd also like to run dual tanks... gotta give that idea more thought but there is lots of time.
i had the summit street and strip 2 chambered mufflers on my 67. with a 390fe. it was 2 1/2 to 3" true duals. one of the best sounding mufflers on a FE if you ask me. i have some vids of it if you wanna hear it.

Old 05-01-2013, 10:17 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by JEFFFAFA
Hey guys, HioSilver found the ultimate "Candy Store" !! LOL!
There's gold in them thar yards if ya look.. Gotta hit the yards outside of heavily populated areas cuz they get picked real fast. Stockton is a good one.. I recently found a 77-79 "Sport Steering Wheel"... apparently sought after by the late Dentsiders. It's got a lil bit of pitting but I think it'll clean up OK. Nice examples on Ebay are around $200 and up.

I've got front swaybars, one set of jr. West coasts (rusted hardware), a Dentside tailgate decor panel, chrome headliner trim for a SuperCab, three sets of hubcaps, auxiliary battery trays, an undented painted steel bumper off a '69, Dentside sport bumper license plate lights & pigtails ($47 each through DC). I'm still on the lookout for rear Bumpside contour bumper brackets.

Originally Posted by Gembone
Everyone I have talked to around here in Vegas says they have to go to Cali to find parts in J/Ys.
I think I need to make some friends in Cali
SoCal especially since it's more or less a desert down there. I went dirtbiking in SoCal the day after Xmas a few years ago and it was 86 freaking degrees... I looked at the State weather report the same night and it was 55 degrees and rainy in my locale... that ain't fair!

Lemme know what you're looking for and I'll put it on my BOLO (be on the lookout) list. That steering wheel took me three years to find!

Originally Posted by 67-F100
i had the summit street and strip 2 chambered mufflers on my 67. with a 390fe. it was 2 1/2 to 3" true duals. one of the best sounding mufflers on a FE if you ask me. i have some vids of it if you wanna hear it.
Cool... I think you might have just sold me on 'em. Thanks. No video needed.. the price of them is fair and worth the risk. If their not to my liking then I've got other vehicles to put 'em on.

Quick Reply: HIO Silver's Lo-Buck Bumpside Build