1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

HIO Silver's Lo-Buck Bumpside Build

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2014, 03:51 PM
trozei
Postmaster
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by abyars111
If you want a used radio bezel put a request on fordification.com . Another place I buy used parts is Facebook groups, one is Fordification and the other is Fixemyourway67-72 . You may not do the Facebook thing but those guys are a great help finding used parts.
I've already bought a bunch of stuff off of the guys at Fixem Your Way. Good group.

Old 12-14-2014, 05:59 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
NO JOY

Filled her up with fluids, five gallons of gasoline, and completed the final wiring connections. Ignition on and the fuel pump primed the system and no leaks. Yay.

'Went to program the ECU via Bluetooth and nothing.... no communication btween the tablet and ECU. I verified at least 12VDC to the ECU and it checks out.

I'm gonna call Edelbrock tomorrow to see what is up. I read on their forums that early tablets/ECUs had connectivity issues. I think I'm in that group.

Stay tuned.

Old 12-14-2014, 06:04 PM
w00ht
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HIO Silver
Filled her up with fluids, five gallons of gasoline, and completed the final wiring connections. Ignition on and the fuel pump primed the system and no leaks. Yay.

'Went to program the ECU via Bluetooth and nothing.... no communication btween the tablet and ECU. I verified at least 12VDC to the ECU and it checks out.

I'm gonna call Edelbrock tomorrow to see what is up. I read on their forums that early tablets/ECUs had connectivity issues. I think I'm in that group.

Stay tuned.
It doesn't come with a base tune? Weird.

Awesome build by the way, I love your attention to detail. Are ever going to paint it or leave it patina'd forever?

Old 12-14-2014, 06:16 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by w00ht
It doesn't come with a base tune? Weird.

Awesome build by the way, I love your attention to detail. Are ever going to paint it or leave it patina'd forever?
It comes with a base tune... but the tablet isn't even communicating with the ECU to load it. GRRRRRR. ...........I think I may have stumbled on the problem... it may be the ECU and tablet aren't "paired" because of the different serial numbers I just found.

I'm inclined to leave the outside the way it is at this point... less attention and less likely to get stolen. The only real clue that something is amidst will be bucket seats, a Grant steering wheel, the Hurst shifter arm, and a 5-speed shift ball.

Btw, I was told the large gash in front of the hood happened when the original owner's brother backed an agricultural combine into it.

Old 12-14-2014, 06:39 PM
w00ht
Freshman User
It comes with a base tune... but the tablet isn't even communicating with the ECU to load it. GRRRRRR. ...........I think I may have stumbled on the problem... it may be the ECU and tablet aren't "paired" because of the different serial numbers I just found.

I'm inclined to leave the outside the way it is at this point... less attention and less likely to get stolen. The only real clue that something is amidst will be bucket seats, a Grant steering wheel, the Hurst shifter arm, and a 5-speed shift ball.

Btw, I was told the large gash in front of the hood happened when the original owner's brother backed an agricultural combine into it.
Did you make sure the bluetooth is turned on in the android settings? Silly I know, but not checking the basics has gotten me a few times.

I read the part about the hood, history's always neat.

Old 12-14-2014, 06:46 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by w00ht
Did you make sure the bluetooth is turned on in the android settings? Silly I know, but not checking the basics has gotten me a few times.

I read the part about the hood, history's always neat.
Definitely. I even disabled the Wi-Fi and left the bluetooth enabled and zero... zippo.. nada. No comms.

Old 12-14-2014, 07:50 PM
w00ht
Freshman User
Definitely. I even disabled the Wi-Fi and left the bluetooth enabled and zero... zippo.. nada. No comms.
I just watched popular hot rodding's setup video. They have their tablet plugged in to the wall via USB for the demo. It may not matter, or it might. The tuning software I use of for my bike won't write to the ECU unless it detects the laptop is plugged in on ac power. It's a feature to keep from bricking the ECU. Maybe Edelbrock does something similar. Also the Wifi icon in Edelbrocks' demo page is on, not off.

Old 12-14-2014, 09:37 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
I'll try it again per that demo tomorrow... their written instructions contradict some of the procedures shown in the video.

Old 12-14-2014, 09:46 PM
trozei
Postmaster
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Doesn't sound like the tablet and the ECU properly discovered one another. When you switch on a Blutooth device it enters a discovery mode in which it searches for the item it is supposed to connect to. If it has never connected to a particular item this may take a while, but it is uncommon now with the newer technology. You should also know whether or not they've connected. It would show up on the screen.

Hooray for wireless.

Old 12-14-2014, 09:56 PM
blue04.5
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So HIO, there isn't an actual USB port to connect to on the ecu? I get the wireless thing being handy for quick adjustments and all but Im surprised there is not a tether option. Anyways, have fun with it, Im sure it will be running in short order tomorrow.

Old 12-14-2014, 10:21 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by trozei
Doesn't sound like the tablet and the ECU properly discovered one another. When you switch on a Blutooth device it enters a discovery mode in which it searches for the item it is supposed to connect to. If it has never connected to a particular item this may take a while, but it is uncommon now with the newer technology. You should also know whether or not they've connected. It would show up on the screen.

Hooray for wireless.
It searched and searched and searched... all I got was an error message.

Originally Posted by blue04.5
So HIO, there isn't an actual USB port to connect to on the ecu? I get the wireless thing being handy for quick adjustments and all but Im surprised there is not a tether option. Anyways, have fun with it, Im sure it will be running in short order tomorrow.
No option for a direct connection to the ECU.

Tomorrow is another day... perhaps I'll have a clearer head to wrap around this thing. I'm gonna call their tech line anyway because the tablet has a different 'pairing' number compared to the label on the instruction manual.

Old 12-15-2014, 09:37 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
VROOOOOOOOOOM !

The Lo-Buck Bumpside ...... LIVES AGAIN!!!!!!!!

I started all over by going back to basics by loading and installing all of Edelbrock's latest software. It also turns out that the tablet and the ECU were incorrectly "paired" via Bluetooth. The different serial numbers did come into play but the instructions didn't mention what PIN to use so I figured the ECU's number made sense.

I stepped through the initialization procedure and on the second crank she lit off...'got her all calibrated and idling at 700 RPM. All the systems check out..... 195 on the water temp, 14.2 vdc on the charge (thanks 3G alternator!), and 20 inches of vacuum, 13.2 AFR at idle.... a little phat but I'll get to tuning her through the tablet soon enough.

She idles as smooth and silky like a 10-day old kitten but freckin' roars like a 700-pound lion through the modified Flowmasters.

Woooohooooooooo!

HIO Silver! Away !!

Old 12-15-2014, 09:55 PM
w00ht
Freshman User
Awesome! Glad you got it sorted.

Old 12-15-2014, 10:01 PM
turbohunter
Postmaster
LOL