1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

HIO Silver's Lo-Buck Bumpside Build

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2013, 08:07 PM
scott79
Fleet Mechanic
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Hey HIO, how close to Cupertino, CA are you? My brother is doing a big mining job out there and is looking for a few good men to operate heavy equipment.

Old 09-29-2013, 08:18 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by scott79
Hey HIO, how close to Cupertino, CA are you? My brother is doing a big mining job out there and is looking for a few good men to operate heavy equipment.
About 50 miles...I'm east of SF. Cupertino is south bay. That's around an hour on a Sunday and about 1.5 hours on a weekday . I've got a 9-mile, 15-minute commute - that's driveway to driveway. That's golden.

Old 09-29-2013, 08:22 PM
scott79
Fleet Mechanic
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Nice, you are "living the dream" haha!! If you know anyone shoot me a PM---they work about 60-70hrs/wk at very good pay!!

Originally Posted by HIO Silver
About 50 miles...I'm east of SF. Cupertino is south bay. That's around an hour on a Sunday and about 1.5 hours on a weekday . I've got a 9-mile, 15-minute commute - that's driveway to driveway. That's golden.

Old 10-01-2013, 04:51 PM
1970 Yeti
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hate household plumbing and brake plumbing isn't high on my list of favorites either.

'Fabbed up a bracket for the adjustable prop valve out of 1/8-inch scrap

The odd contour shown above generally follows the outline of the PV with clearance for line wrenches and the ****'s stick out as shown below.

HIO I love the job on the brakes, but I have a question for you regarding the proportioning of the system. Obvious the balance is factory set with the use of OEM valve... How are you going to set this balance with this? I would think that you would lock out the rear and do a test stop from a fixed distance, and increment adjustment of the rear valve open, repeating the stop test until the shortest distance is achieved. Does that sound correct?

Also, your inbox is full and I have another PM for you

Looking really great man!

Old 10-01-2013, 04:58 PM
rogue s.
Freshman User
So far, so good...as I like your choices...Keep up the good work and take your time as it doesn't happen overnight...lol...

Old 10-01-2013, 05:59 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by 1970 Yeti
HIO I love the job on the brakes, but I have a question for you regarding the proportioning of the system. Obvious the balance is factory set with the use of OEM valve... How are you going to set this balance with this? I would think that you would lock out the rear and do a test stop from a fixed distance, and increment adjustment of the rear valve open, repeating the stop test until the shortest distance is achieved. Does that sound correct?

Also, your inbox is full and I have another PM for you

Looking really great man!
Thanks... that's close to the procedure except that the rear isn't locked out at initial setting. Ya adjust the bias until the fronts lock up a tad before the rears do.

I'll clean out my PM box when I get home.

Originally Posted by rogue s.
So far, so good...as I like your choices...Keep up the good work and take your time as it doesn't happen overnight...lol...
Believe me, I am taking my time and being very methodical but I am trying to outrun mother nature!

Thanks for the kudos.

Old 10-05-2013, 07:36 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
FE to TKO-500... the Union

Reverend HIO Silver: " Do you Ford FE take Miss TKO-500 to be your worthy transmission? Do you promise to deliver torque and horsepower?"

Ford FE: "I DO"

Reverend HIO Silver: "Do you Miss TKO-500 take Ford FE to be your worthy engine? Do you promise to provide five forward gears, more miles per gallon in overdrive at 2000 RPM, and smoky, billowing burnouts?"

Miss TKO-500: "Sure do"

Reverend HIO Silver: "May I have the bellhousing bolts please"

Reverend HIO Silver: "I am happy to present Mr. & Mrs. FE-powered TKO-500"

Off to the honeymoon...

Whew!.. installing the engine and trans as an assembly was a total production!! Took me an hour angling, tilting nudging, tilting, and nudging but it's in... I was really careful and experienced only one scratch and that was the clutch level contacting the leading edge of left engine perch. Otherwise, that's it!

A couple of tips....... lay cardboard in select places will stave off contact. The power brake booster contacted the valve cover a couple of times but I draped the fabric cover over it and it came out unscathed. I also recommend installing the tilting engine sling close to the intake so it clears the firewall's upper seam with the cowl assembly. The sling cleared but leaving the chains long would not have provided vertical angle to set the engine its the perches.

A cold one because this is a milestone.

Old 10-05-2013, 07:43 PM
Jigger2020
FTE Legend
Received 5,131 Likes on 1,682 Posts
Looking great there Silver, love the Tremec

Old 10-05-2013, 10:49 PM
abyars111
Elder User
That's great! I had to call my wife and daughters in to see it, they got a laugh.

Old 10-06-2013, 06:08 AM
RunninD
Senior User
Quick question HIO, is the "MDL" plate, one of the shift lever locations? just curious about using the original mounting position for the old shifter piece. Very jealous now!!!

Ok two. Could you please get me a pic or measurement of where the tail piece sits under the cab,

Old 10-06-2013, 07:51 AM
Jigger2020
FTE Legend
Received 5,131 Likes on 1,682 Posts
Originally Posted by RunninD
Quick question HIO, is the "MDL" plate, one of the shift lever locations? just curious about using the original mounting position for the old shifter piece,
RD the shifter cant be moved locations , that plate provides access when working on the transmission ....

Old 10-06-2013, 09:31 AM
Gembone
Logistics Pro
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
A definite thing of beauty.

Old 10-06-2013, 11:38 AM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by abyars111
That's great! I had to call my wife and daughters in to see it, they got a laugh.
The ceremony? I came up with that during the process and started laughing out loud by myself. Even introducing them to each other when I wheeled Miss. TKO down the yard...

Originally Posted by RunninD
Quick question HIO, is the "MDL" plate, one of the shift lever locations? just curious about using the original mounting position for the old shifter piece. Very jealous now!!!

Ok two. Could you please get me a pic or measurement of where the tail piece sits under the cab,
The shifter is in its only location but can be turned around. MDL recommended a "candy cane" shift lever (Hurst PN 4331). I may turn it around depending on how the bucket seats work out.

I'll post a measurement later today.

Old 10-06-2013, 11:58 AM
montana_highboy
Post Fiend
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Reverend HIO Silver: " Do you Ford FE take Miss TKO-500 to be your worthy transmission? Do you promise to deliver torque and horsepower?"

Ford FE: "I DO"

Reverend HIO Silver: "Do you Miss TKO-500 take Ford FE to be your worthy engine? Do you promise to provide five forward gears, more miles per gallon in overdrive at 2000 RPM, and smoky, billowing burnouts?"

Miss TKO-500: "Sure do"

Reverend HIO Silver: "May I have the bellhousing bolts please"

Reverend HIO Silver: "I am happy to present Mr. & Mrs. FE-powered TKO-500"
I won't even ask what the honeymoon was like, I just hope the "bride" used lube.

Stellar work Hio, your attention to detail is second to none.

Old 10-06-2013, 08:07 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Tech Tip Time

This may seem out of sequence but before taking your truck apart....

ALIGN THE BODY PANELS!

When you're satisfied with gaps and positioning, drill 1/8-inch alignment holes at hood and door hinges, brackets, and at body panel overlaps and flanges.

For example, this is the cowl to inner fender bracket and it is adjustable vertically and horizontally. Therefore two holes are required. The same applies to the hood hinges. Insert the drill bits to index the part and bolt it down... it is EXACTLY where it was before removal.

If you don't like random holes, the hole(s) can be hidden under the washers. I just dab and wipe a lil black RTV to seal it up.

Quick Reply: HIO Silver's Lo-Buck Bumpside Build