Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by hivoltj
I heard tequila does the same thing and is a lot cheaper
And so are the women that drink it....

Old 04-03-2016, 08:57 PM
WhichDoc
Cross-Country
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
WOW..ok so I'm confused. You built that weird boombox and painted it silver to go in the silver ferrari because you said that stereo system in it sucked, right? Just kidding HIO, this has to be one of the top five most interesting threads I've read in its entirety on here. That car is t!t$, and the truck looks great!!! You've inspired my "Joe Dirt Build" complete with my afro mullet and lo-jack.
KEEP IT COMING MAN!!!!

Old 04-03-2016, 10:22 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by WhichDoc
WOW..ok so I'm confused. You built that weird boombox and painted it silver to go in the silver ferrari because you said that stereo system in it sucked, right? Just kidding HIO, this has to be one of the top five most interesting threads I've read in its entirety on here. That car is t!t$, and the truck looks great!!! You've inspired my "Joe Dirt Build" complete with my afro mullet and lo-jack.
KEEP IT COMING MAN!!!!
Hahahaha! I should strap the boombox to the Spider's engine cover and hit town! The 360 is my birthday present to me.

'Glad you got a kick out of the thread...Hopefully ya picked up some good info along the way.

"Joe Dirt Build"? I LIKE IT.

Old 05-13-2016, 06:05 PM
g-man-75
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Hi first off your truck looks awesome! Great detail! I'm getting ready to order a Tremec TKO, I was wondering how you hooked up your clutch, did you leave the factory Ford mechanical linkages or go hydraulic? Also how do you like the .68 overdrive? Im looking at a TKO 600, trying to decide between .64 or .82 overdrive. Thanks!

Old 05-13-2016, 08:57 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by g-man-75
Hi first off your truck looks awesome! Great detail! I'm getting ready to order a Tremec TKO, I was wondering how you hooked up your clutch, did you leave the factory Ford mechanical linkages or go hydraulic? Also how do you like the .68 overdrive? Im looking at a TKO 600, trying to decide between .64 or .82 overdrive. Thanks!
Thanks for the compliment.

The clutch linkage is the same one that it rolled off the line with... works great and no leaks!

The OD gear is awesome. Coupled with the EFI, the LBB has managed to get 17 MPG with regularity.. That's at 65 MPH... any more and aero really starts working against its efficiency.

If a long hauler, I recommend the 0.68 overdrive. The 0.84 is technically an overdrive gear but it's closer to 1:1 so there isn't that much more benefit... Think about it.. the 0.68 has twice (0.32) overdrive difference than a 0.84 (0.16).

Like I said before, spec a short-shaft TKO from Modern Driveline and ya don't need to buy a $680 QuickTime bellhousing... talk to Paul or Bruce and they'll set you up.

Old 05-13-2016, 11:01 PM
72CC428
Posting Guru
whoa

Originally Posted by orich
My block huger 427 Sandersons will just bolt right up. My drivers side went in from the top & passenger side from under the side. And bingo, No gaskets just high temp RTV.
Oric/h
No gaskets? That's...., well, cool! Milled surfaces I suspect?

Old 05-14-2016, 12:24 AM
orich
Lead Driver
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by 72CC428
No gaskets? That's...., well, cool! Milled surfaces I suspect?
Yeah like a welded donut around the exh port then mill down to about 3/16 apply rtv bolt a little let set over night then TQ to 12lbs with a heat cycle warn up let cool a few times.

No gasket was the only reason, I bought them. Been using them about 10 yrs. now with no problem of leaking.

I'm happy with them but hated having to use a mini starter.
I kind of like keeping it oem stuff that easier to get when in need of replacement parts. But would hate it more if, I had to drop the headers to change starters.

back in 1981 when, I had my old long tube headers on, I could remove the oem starter with out dropping them.

I this one time laid in a auto parts store parking lot with icy cold snow cover parking lot changing my out oem starter. The temp was 27* degrees per the banks sign across the street.

My starter was dead and could not leave until, I changed out the starter.
The back side in places of my clothes ice imbedded to my shirt laid on an old blanket that only kept me clean but it was half frozen to my back side.

Man did my hands finger sure hurt for a few days afterwards.
Did not have any gloves as I remember..
Orich

Old 05-27-2016, 10:12 PM
72CC428
Posting Guru
Woo-ee

Originally Posted by orich
Yeah like a welded donut around the exh port then mill down to about 3/16 apply rtv bolt a little let set over night then TQ to 12lbs with a heat cycle warn up let cool a few times.

No gasket was the only reason, I bought them. Been using them about 10 yrs. now with no problem of leaking.

I'm happy with them but hated having to use a mini starter.
I kind of like keeping it oem stuff that easier to get when in need of replacement parts. But would hate it more if, I had to drop the headers to change starters.

back in 1981 when, I had my old long tube headers on, I could remove the oem starter with out dropping them.

I this one time laid in a auto parts store parking lot with icy cold snow cover parking lot changing my out oem starter. The temp was 27* degrees per the banks sign across the street.

My starter was dead and could not leave until, I changed out the starter.
The back side in places of my clothes ice imbedded to my shirt laid on an old blanket that only kept me clean but it was half frozen to my back side.

Man did my hands finger sure hurt for a few days afterwards.
Did not have any gloves as I remember..
Orich

That's rough. Not the kind of thing your mind or body ever forgets

Old 05-27-2016, 10:34 PM
orich
Lead Driver
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Ah yes it's imbedded like etched into my mines eye of that cold mid morning.
Although it was a habit of turning the ign switch off as soon as the engine stopped,
I Oh shxt why did , I do that when it was so hard to get it started in the first place.

It took two vehicles with jumper cables to get my starter crank enough to get it started to get to that Grand auto parts store. Oh those were the days..
Orich

Old 06-08-2016, 03:26 PM
TeachNlive4ever
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
HIO, for the one billionth time you've been asked, (I just can't find the answer) what size tires are you running on the LBB. The Green hornet is slinging tread.

Old 06-08-2016, 04:45 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by TeachNlive4ever
HIO, for the one billionth time you've been asked, (I just can't find the answer) what size tires are you running on the LBB. The Green hornet is slinging tread.
Howdy Teach. Where ya been ?

225/70-15 on 15x7 in front. Out back it's 275/60-15 on 15x8.

Old 06-09-2016, 09:48 AM
DLW-70-F100
Senior User
Originally Posted by HIO Silver
Since our rigs have the technology of an IAT sensor, log the IAT temps before and after the mod at around the same ambient air temperature.
Thought I would get back to you on this. I don't have an exact science project on this, but before with the open air cleaner in traffic/traffic light to light stuff I was seeing IAT's of 150+ degrees on around a 95* day. With similar ambient air temps and cold air setup with 4" tube routed to the radiator support where it has complete open access to outside air, my IAT's are at 100* in traffic and around 105* sitting at stop lights.

At free way speeds with same ambient temps, open air cleaner is around 128*, where as the cold air is around the same as ambient, 97*. When it's cooler in the early mornings, it may actually run cooler than ambient at freeway speeds. In way, this system works partially like forced air or ram air setup when at speed. Pretty happy with this arrangement.

I just need to add a screen across the 4" opening in the radiator support to keep anything big from flying in there. May need to think what I want to do during rainy season though. light rains should be no problem, heavy rain might be. Worst case is go back to open air cleaner in winter time.

Quick Reply: HIO Silver's Lo-Buck Bumpside Build