Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

hx35 on my IDI questions and Project "Mechanical Monster" Update.

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 10:37 PM
iditurbo54
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hx35 on my IDI questions and Project "Mechanical Monster" Update.

As the title of the thread entails I've found an hx35 off a 97 Cummins for $350. Sounds like a pretty sharp deal and considering its a mechanical turbo I wouldn't have to worry about Jerry-riggin' up a Vgt to it. Just wondering if anyone had any helpful advice or any links to builds if it's been done before.
As for the motor. The cleaning and degreasing is FINALLY done. I'm currently working on cleaning the heads and going to take them to the local shop within the next week. The short block is reassembled and all i'm waiting on is the cam. Mailed it last week and they said it should be today when Mr. nmb2 recieves it, hopefully. as well as the IP and Injectors which I sent to DPS the same day. Other than the turbo the build is going pretty smooth and quickly considering I only get 1-2 days a week to work on it. Hopefully within the next 1-2 months the ole girl will be purrin' a lil quicker than the OBS PSD's. Pics from my Facebook Album link:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1547797&type=3

Old 04-12-2012, 11:48 PM
NMB2
Elder User
I didn't get the cam today, do you have a tracking number?

Old 04-12-2012, 11:55 PM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...5-project.html

The pics suck, and i wouldnt call it a "professional build" but it only cost me around $280 for everything and its on there and works until i get my other engine built. As far as performance, i love it, even with a stock pump i notice alot more power even though im out of smoke at only 6lbs of boost, give or take 1600 rpms in 4th/5th @ WOT i want to know how it performs with your setup, mine really starts to spool around 2200 and i have to let out of it even being out of fuel one thing to watch if youre not studded im not sure the stock wastegate is up to the challenge. With a short ram intake and a cone filter the compressor whistle will drive you up the wall so be prepared for a little insulating.

Old 04-13-2012, 12:26 AM
Aune163rd
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I love compressor whistle XD!

Old 04-13-2012, 12:35 AM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Aune163rd
I love compressor whistle XD!
I did too until a couple trips up a 10 mile grade it goes from whistle to makes your ears bleed lol. But seeing as it came off a street sweeper, it doesnt have the silencer ring in it.

Old 04-13-2012, 10:51 AM
iditurbo54
Junior User
Originally Posted by NMB2
I was going to check that today to see if there were any difficulties or anything with the shipment. I really wanna get this thing done.

Old 04-13-2012, 11:13 AM
iditurbo54
Junior User
Originally Posted by hairyboxnoogle
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...5-project.html

The pics suck, and i wouldnt call it a "professional build" but it only cost me around $280 for everything and its on there and works until i get my other engine built. As far as performance, i love it, even with a stock pump i notice alot more power even though im out of smoke at only 6lbs of boost, give or take 1600 rpms in 4th/5th @ WOT i want to know how it performs with your setup, mine really starts to spool around 2200 and i have to let out of it even being out of fuel one thing to watch if youre not studded im not sure the stock wastegate is up to the challenge. With a short ram intake and a cone filter the compressor whistle will drive you up the wall so be prepared for a little insulating.
I like that build and love that truck. Just from quickly scanning the first page of your thread it sounds like your piping would look somewhat similar to what nmb2 did on his big motor. Just up the back meeting at the turbo. The truck has a 7.3T in it so whenever she gets pulled the exhaust mani's and crossover on it will be used in hopes of just having to make a single piece of pipe to run from the turbo to the mani. I would love to be able to mount the turbo in the same place as the factory turbo but idk until the motor is out and I can look.

Old 04-13-2012, 11:35 AM
Rxracer27
Senior User
Has anyone tried a t4 flanged hx40?
i have a brand new one sitting on the shelf and really considering doing some custom to get it on my truck. only downfall is i know the WG on mine is either at 18 or 25psi, as it came off of a 12 liter case tractor.
i know my hot side size is 17cm2.
my brother has a hx40 oh his cummins with a 16cm t3 hot side and spools decently so i was thinking with the increased displacement the 17cm hot side should work.
sorry to thread jack just thinking out loud.
Rob

Old 04-13-2012, 01:18 PM
iditurbo54
Junior User
No tracking number. I guess my mom thought i'd rather pay a few hundred bucks for a cam to replace it rather then a couple bucks to know where it's at. $*%^ $%*^ $*%& !!!

Old 04-13-2012, 10:55 PM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Rxracer27
Has anyone tried a t4 flanged hx40?
i have a brand new one sitting on the shelf and really considering doing some custom to get it on my truck. only downfall is i know the WG on mine is either at 18 or 25psi, as it came off of a 12 liter case tractor.
i know my hot side size is 17cm2.
my brother has a hx40 oh his cummins with a 16cm t3 hot side and spools decently so i was thinking with the increased displacement the 17cm hot side should work.
sorry to thread jack just thinking out loud.
Rob
I dont have enough experience to answer that honestly. I think it would work, but it would be pretty laggy. I would love to see what mine would do with more fuel, but as it is right now i cant clear smoke till around 1500 rpms, thats walking into it from around 1200. It only takes about 6lbs till it clears up, Even being that out of fuel, the 12cm housing on the hx35 still hits 15-17lbs by 2500 with a leaky wastegate. I just found a return spring that im using in place of my seized actuator that seems to start bleeding off around 7lbs, gauge climbs to 7 and gets there around 1600, levels off and stays there till around 2300 and starts climbing again, by redline in 3rd (70ish mph) im still pushing 13-14lbs

IDITURBO54

NMB2's pipes are alot different than how mine are, his are styled like a powerstroke, each bank to each scroll in the housing, mine is more like the banks kits, i used the factory Y pipe and just went up to the turbo. His setup is alot better than mine all around, mine was alot easier lol.

Old 04-13-2012, 11:39 PM
NMB2
Elder User
got your cam today.

Old 04-14-2012, 01:58 AM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
i wish i had one to ship you...

Old 04-14-2012, 12:28 PM
iditurbo54
Junior User
got your cam today.

Another question for ya, I will probably add water meth after I get my built motor swapped in but just so I can start lookin, where did you get yours at?? The one in DieselPower used on the 6.9 they were doing was made by Snow, but it was 1k and change.

Old 04-14-2012, 12:38 PM
iditurbo54
Junior User
Originally Posted by hairyboxnoogle
IDITURBO54

NMB2's pipes are alot different than how mine are, his are styled like a powerstroke, each bank to each scroll in the housing, mine is more like the banks kits, i used the factory Y pipe and just went up to the turbo. His setup is alot better than mine all around, mine was alot easier lol.
I figured. Just from a quick scan of the first couple pages I thought it just sounded like it. I am hoping to be able to use my Manifolds and crossover off my 7.3T and just run a pipe to connect the turbo and Manifolds. Like the stock setup just custom fit for the hx35.

Old 04-14-2012, 02:57 PM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by iditurbo54
I figured. Just from a quick scan of the first couple pages I thought it just sounded like it. I am hoping to be able to use my Manifolds and crossover off my 7.3T and just run a pipe to connect the turbo and Manifolds. Like the stock setup just custom fit for the hx35.
If you can swing it, separated up pipes are gunna make a big difference i think on how fast the turbo spools. Thats how the cummins is too actually "these" cylinders in this hole, "those" cylinders in that hole, keeps aire from just movin around and back and forth and makes it go through the turbo. I can understand if its more work than youre up for, just saying i think its probably worth it.

Quick Reply: hx35 on my IDI questions and Project "Mechanical Monster" Update.