Garage & Workshop Tips & Ideas for the garage or workshop. No Truck Tech Discussion   

Shop manual CDROM - Win 7

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 08:36 PM
dstig1
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Shop manual CDROM - Win 7

I got a new PC a while back to replace my old Win XP one. When I tried running the Shop manual CDROM, it won't display the electrical diagrams. It just sits there - no error or anything. I've tried reinstalling (including uninstalling and reinstalling) and rebooting a bunch of times, so that isn't it. Helms says that Ford has not made them compatible with XP or Win 7 (though I never had an issue with XP myself). What's the deal and is there a workaround for this?

Thanks,
Dave

Old 04-11-2012, 11:50 PM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Is there a compatibility mode with 7?

Old 04-12-2012, 06:56 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,393 Likes on 1,102 Posts
I have both the Win 7 and XP-Pro, have experienced the same issues with my Helms/Ford CD-ROM manuals---won't load, aren't recognized by Win 7. I fricking HATE that Win 7 FWIW---and not just because of this! XP forever!

I'm not sure if there is a workaround but I would be interested in it too!

Old 04-12-2012, 06:01 PM
dstig1
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Helms tells me the only option is to refund my money (and I assume buy the paper copies). That should be interesting given that I bought it 4 yrs ago...

Old 04-23-2012, 11:28 PM
monckywrench
Cargo Master
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Problem easily solved.

Install VirtualBox on your Windows 7 PC. It's free.

https://www.virtualbox.org/

Install XP on a virtual hard drive. It's easier than a conventional install. I use Virtualbox all the time for testing software. I max out the video memory allocation and assign my VMs at least a GB of RAM.

Running XP on VirtualBox with Windows 7 - YouTube

If you image your XP install CD to an .iso file, you can also install from that.

Image your manual CD to an .iso image file. Install from that .iso image to your virtual machine.

image creation example

The Official ImgBurn Website

You get a separate "Windows XP" installation with the Ford manual which you can run without the disk.

This works fine with a Linux host operating system too.

I detest Windows but need it for some things, and Virtual Machines are the way to go. Take Snapshots and you can restore to a previous state.

Old 12-17-2015, 04:06 PM
Carebear
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi,

I know this is a very old thread but I have a solution to this problem. You need to install Adobe SVG Viewer.

Found here: Adobe SVG Viewer download area | Adobe Developer Connection

I wanted to PM the person who started the thread, but my account doesn't seem to have PMs.

Old 12-20-2015, 07:44 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Since this was originally posted way back when I've found the best and only real work-around to "expired" CD-ROM manuals is two-fold: Run Win VM and reset your main OS to the last date shown on the CD-ROM label. Trying to reset the computer clock through WinVM doesn't work---it won't allow those changes through that console.

FWIW I'm now "successfully" running Win 7.

Old 12-21-2015, 10:48 AM
cokeman
Tuned
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
How many of you are installing to Program Files\....? I went through all these hoops a while back when I went from W2K to XP and then Win7. Got tired of that and I fixed it by installing directly to c:. So C:\TSO and everything works fine on Win7 and XP. I think they hard coded some paths in there. Still have to leave the CD in the tray though when using the manual.

Old thread, but many of us still use those CDs

Old 12-23-2015, 07:27 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
When ever I've tried installing it to C:\\ProgramFiles........ I'd get the "expired, discard disc" nonsense.

I do show the TSO files but still won't open for me in Win7 or even on the older machine with XP-Pro.

What am I doing wrong?

Old 12-23-2015, 10:44 AM
cokeman
Tuned
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Not sure. I never saw the expired message. Just wouldn't load until I put it in c:\TSO instead of Program Files.

Seems like your best option is the VM with a rolled back clock like you mentioned before

Old 12-23-2015, 11:52 AM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
Received 873 Likes on 725 Posts
It is not necessary to download and install the SVG Viewer as modern browsers (IE, Firefox, etc) all include that function.

All my service DVDs from 96-12 work perfectly on my desktop Win7Pro system with a few tweaks.

1. Install a virtual DVD setup, then use .iso copies of the disk as virtual disks. Eliminates the physical disk swapping. Put all the ISO files in a single folder to make them easier to find. I use VirtualCloneDrive, it's free.
2. DVDs that are either individual or part of a set must each have their own sub-directory to be installed into, one for a set or one per individual independent DVD. Therefore, I happen to have four folders, each with a specific model year span.
3. Install an appropriately named desktop shortcut for each folder's executable.
4. For those DVDs or sets that have expiration dates, download and install the utility RUNASDATE. You must then edit the shortcut for each of your desktop shortcuts to include the command line and date for that particular set.

For example, here's the selection of desktop icons on my system:

Now, only the three newest of those have expiration dates so they require the date to be modified before launching.

The 09-10 DVD has a date of July 2012 on it, so I set it to run with a date of July 1st, 2012 using the following command line:

C:\runasdate32\RunAsDate(dot)exe 07\01\2012 C:\TSO_09_10\tsobrowser(dot)exe [had to spoof forum software which doesn't like executable file names ]

The shortcut includes the path to the runasdate executable, the desired date (in the mandatory format!) as well as the operating folder and the TSO browser executable.

Works fine!

Now, my notebook is bit of a different matter... I have a glitch somewhere in it so that the wiring diagrams for ONLY 01-03 won't display in-application. I only get a box with an x in the upper left corner and I have to go into the tsobrowsercache folder and open the .pdf file manually. My file associations are correct but something isn't linking correctly and launched them in Acrobat Reader DC. The really odd thing is that the '00 diagrams work properly and they're on the same disk as the 01-03 files...

I have VMWare installed on the laptop running WinXP in that virtual machine and it works correctly, it's just a PITA to wait for the VM to boot up. Plus, it doesn't seem to coexist well with the stuff running under my Win7Home main environment, especially the Acrobat viewer, and it causes the the machine to hang all environments for up to a minute or three at a time. Plenty of memory, disk space, and processor (I3, 4GB, 50+GB free) so the hardware is okay but something's jacked up in the 4-year old Windows install. Probably need to re-install (or even let Win10 upgrade it), but I'm not fond of either option.

Old 12-24-2015, 09:14 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Holy crap----if I gotta start running CMD prompts I'm screwed!

Old 12-24-2015, 09:28 AM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
Those are a one-time configuration. You have to create the shortcut's command line to set the date and tell the system where everything is at. After that, it's a simple double lick to launch.

BTW, fixed that annoyance on my laptop finally after I posted yesterday...

Old 12-24-2015, 09:53 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Yeah I was mostly kidding but my friend/computer guru is due to come help me network my house some day in the near future----I'll save your steps and have him do all that heavy lifting too!

Great advice, highly appreciated!

Did you do a fresh install of Windows on your laptop?

Old 12-24-2015, 11:02 AM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
Nope, if I had, it would take several days to put it back together the way I want it, which is why it still needs to be done.

I installed FoxIt PDF Reader, changed file associations in Win CP for .htm to Chrome and .pdf/* to Foxit. It works, although it puts up a FoxIt window inside TSOBrowser which is a bit annoying. Way less annoying than screwing with the VM, though.