1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Freaking Out - 53/56 F100

Old 04-10-2012, 11:14 PM
DasHaas
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Freaking Out - 53/56 F100

Hi I recently bought a 56 F100 long bed with a 53 cab so to the naked eye the truck is a 53. I have a title from another state (NJ) for a 1956 f100. I spoke to the original owner (google is great for looking people up) and he explained that the 56 cab was completely rotted out so he swapped it out for a 53 cab. There lies my problem, there is no VIN plate on the cab so I am hoping there is one stamped somewhere on the frame that I can uses as evidence that the truck matches the title and I can get it registered in FL. I'm VERY worried that I may have to part out the truck to attempt to recover my money and cut my losses. I would much rather give it the college try and try to get everything sorted out so I can begin restoring the truck which I plan on keeping in the family for quite some time. I looked into data tag reproduction which just requires a copy of the title but I'm not convinced that this is enough to get the truck registered in Florida. Any help in locating any hidden VIN numbers on the frame would be greatly appreciated. I'm sure this may have been discussed in other posts but I'm freaking out and have not had a chance to do a search. Thanks in advance.

jR

Old 04-10-2012, 11:29 PM
das54
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
First off - Welcome. A lot of good info and plenty of support here. As for getting your title and registration - as you know each state is different but the VIN is stamped on the frame and that is what your DMV should look for IF they look for one. It should be on the top of the frame rail, passenger side, probably between the cab mount and the radiator cross member. Read thru this thread. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-engraved.html
or here
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...it-really.html
and this thread
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...-location.html
good luck hunting

Old 04-11-2012, 06:57 AM
South of BC
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sacramento Vintage Ford or Mid-Fifties can have a new rating plate made for your truck.

Old 04-11-2012, 08:06 AM
Nighthawk756
Senior User
Old 04-11-2012, 08:46 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Unless the DMV laws in Florida have changed a lot since I left, it's one of the easier states in which to get an older vehicle registered. If you can't find the VIN on the frame rail check with the DMV for other means of registration...

Oh, and welcome to FTE!

Old 04-11-2012, 09:38 AM
South of BC
Elder User
Thanks for the link Brad. Cheaper and faster indeed. MF is $125 with a 8-12 week wait (or for $40 rush service: 7-10 days), SacVin is $125 with a 2-3 week wait. Backeast quoted me $100 and done in 3 days.

Old 04-11-2012, 12:42 PM
Nighthawk756
Senior User
Originally Posted by South of BC
Thanks for the link Brad. Cheaper and faster indeed. MF is $125 with a 8-12 week wait (or for $40 rush service: 7-10 days), SacVin is $125 with a 2-3 week wait. Backeast quoted me $100 and done in 3 days.
No problem!

He got mine to me and in my hands in less than a week including shipping time.

Old 04-11-2012, 02:19 PM
Stephen67
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm not sure how it is where you're at, but around here if a truck is old enough and has lost the title and vin plate, you can have a new VIN stamped on by the PD and go off of that. We have a lot of 'lost trucks' out in fields around here, so it's not uncommon. There are ways to get a title as well. It's a hassle but possible. This is one of those things that I would suggest taking care off before you do anything else.

I wouldn't worry about having to part it out or cut your losses, there are lots of ways with these older trucks, but you'll need to arm yourself with information as if your DMV is anything like mine, they will tell you it's not possible because either they don't know it is or don't care to do the paper work. 50 year old vehicles are a little different than say a truck from 1999, missing a title and vin usually just happens and isn't a red flag that it was stolen.

Old 04-11-2012, 07:46 PM
59JEEPSTANG
Senior User
When I transfered my title, I just told them the truck was in pieces and I was going to fix it up. No issues. Now I did have a Florida title (issued in the 70's). Did the same for my Model A in the late 80's on a title issued in the early 50's. When I moved from NJ in early 80's transfering the titles required mileage and vin checks on my vehicles. But it is my experience it has gotten a lot easier to transfer titles on older vehicles. If it were me I would take my title to your friendly neighborhood dmv office (in proper order, signed price filled in (don't go to low)) tell them you would like to transfer the title (no tag yet) on your restoration project. I don't think you will have a problem. Just don't volunteer any more information than needed. Where are you in Florida?

Paul

Old 04-11-2012, 08:04 PM
ben73058
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Hey Das,
I had the same worries with the 1950 F1 we bought. We changed out both axles & put in a new firewall, etc. No ID on the frame that I could find.

In Texas we have a process called "Vin Verification" where any
place doing state inspections can verify your Vin for a $1.
I made it real easy for them & put a nice tag with the same # as shown on the Title in the Glove Box. They looked at the Tag & wrote down the same mileage as shown on the Title. I took the nice Vin verification form to the County & registered the truck for $35.

Hopefully Florida has a similar process. Good luck over there!
Do you have any pics of your nice '56/'53? Don't give up due to paperwork - that's one you can get off the old todo list in a week.

Ben in Austin
1950 F1

Old 04-11-2012, 08:30 PM
DasHaas
New User
Originally Posted by 59JEEPSTANG
When I transfered my title, I just told them the truck was in pieces and I was going to fix it up. No issues. Now I did have a Florida title (issued in the 70's). Did the same for my Model A in the late 80's on a title issued in the early 50's. When I moved from NJ in early 80's transfering the titles required mileage and vin checks on my vehicles. But it is my experience it has gotten a lot easier to transfer titles on older vehicles. If it were me I would take my title to your friendly neighborhood dmv office (in proper order, signed price filled in (don't go to low)) tell them you would like to transfer the title (no tag yet) on your restoration project. I don't think you will have a problem. Just don't volunteer any more information than needed. Where are you in Florida?

Paul
Thanks for the advice Paul, I live in Fort Lauderdale

Old 04-11-2012, 08:38 PM
DasHaas
New User
Thanks for all your help guys, it's rare to find a helpful forum. Usually you find lots of idiots that enjoy picking on others from behind their computer. I decided that I will be ordering a VIN plate from A. G. Backeast but I'm not sure if I will attach it to the cab somewhere before I speak to the DMV or just go the "it's currently in pieces and has no vin on the frame route". I have a friend which is a police officer and gave me the direct number to his "DMV contact". Not sure if I should tell her everything or play dumb and go the "it's in pieces route". I'll keep you guys posted.

jR

Old 04-11-2012, 09:16 PM
South of BC
Elder User
I'm by no means an expert on the subject as I haven't had my plate done yet, but it seems that you can't get a plate made without documentation like a title in your name. Which, if I understood your post correctly, you don't have yet. A pencil rub of the plate helps, which of course you don't have. If you can't get the rating plate yet, don't give up. Have you looked for the VIN stamped on the frame? It should be on the top of the frame rail, on the passenger side. Mine is nest to the crossmember that holds the radiator, however another member has his further back near the crossmember of the transmission.

Old 04-11-2012, 10:07 PM
ben73058
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Hey JR,
Welcome Aboard! We spent 7 years in Ft. Lauderdale - Wilton Manors to be more accurate. Nice town..... Post some pics when you get a chance. I can see you cruising down A1A...

Ben in Austin

Old 09-15-2012, 09:05 PM
DasHaas
New User
update

so it's been a while and after some frustrating hoops and red tape I finally have my antique tag and the truck is registered in my name! Time to shift into overdrive and start fixing this thing up right!! Thanks for all your help guys!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Freaking Out - 53/56 F100