6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

my truck is a pig on fuel !!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 10:52 AM
hair bear
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I still feel the pain

My truck is a 2008 F-250 crew cab with a fifth-wheel hitch. I was getting 7.5 miles per gallon on my morning commute into town which is a four mile drive with a mix of steep hills and flat lands. I can only average about 40 mph because of curves and stay on my side of the road. I had reached the point that I was going to park my diesel and start driving my old Jeep because of the poor mileage and the cost of diesel fuel. I never imagined that my mileage would improve to the point that it has according to the on-board calculator which is the same calculator that was reading the 7.5 mpg before I added the cetane booster to it Monday. Today, June 1,2012 I drove the same road that I have driven for the last 30 years and my on-board calculator registered 12.1 mpg. The only thing that has changed is that I added the cetane booster. Monday morning when I made the same trip my on-board calculator showed 7.5. That's all I know, I'm not a diesel mechanic or expert in any way. I learned about cetane booster on this forum and decided to try it, I figured it's only $20 what do I have to lose. Worked for me.

Old 06-01-2012, 08:23 PM
auriferous
Senior User

I switched to opti lube after running ford additive .check out the ratings on additives ,it seems there is more time between regens except my last tow trip 6 regens in 360 miles!

Old 06-01-2012, 09:02 PM
grende7581
Mountain Pass
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Ronin 5729
If I understand/recall it correctly, Gear Vendors doesn't recommend/warranty their product in our trucks in conjunction with towing...? That's a whole bunch of money to seriously compromise the utility of the truck for a few MPG. I'm also thinking it would take a LONG time to break even on that mileage "investment".
I had my Gear Vendor checked out last week. I brought it to the GV factory in El Cajon, Calif and talked to the owner. He said the problem with towing is the oil in the GV breaks down. The GV and Tranny will handle the load, if you tow disengage the unit and there's no problem. I agree about the break-even cost which as I log highway miles, I'll keep you posted. I'm also going to try the cetane additive and see how it works.

Old 06-02-2012, 09:30 AM
RoadJunkie
Senior User
Your post Title would make a great bumper sticker or T-Shirt: my truck is a pig on fuel !!!!

Old 06-02-2012, 09:58 AM
Ronin 5729
Senior User
Originally Posted by grende7581
I had my Gear Vendor checked out last week. I brought it to the GV factory in El Cajon, Calif and talked to the owner. He said the problem with towing is the oil in the GV breaks down. The GV and Tranny will handle the load, if you tow disengage the unit and there's no problem. I agree about the break-even cost which as I log highway miles, I'll keep you posted. I'm also going to try the cetane additive and see how it works.
I'd run a Blackstone analysis on that gear lube and see what they have to say/recommend, although I can't understand for the life of me why GV would make that statement and not have a solution/suggestion to address it...? I'm thinking maybe a HD synthetic gear lube might do the job...what does it normally take? It actually won't handle the load, that's my point, and disengaging it when you're towing is rubbish...it sounds like the GV isn't capable of handling the torque/load/stress of towing which is why they flake when it comes to warrantying its use with vehicles that are towing...blaming the lube/oil is weak sauce...

Old 06-02-2012, 06:47 PM
hair bear
New User
For anyone interested in cetane boost Bell Laboratories makes a product that is just a cetane booster and does not have the cleaning additives and such. Have to purchase it on-line no store outlets that I can finde.

Old 06-03-2012, 09:59 AM
grende7581
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by Ronin 5729
I'd run a Blackstone analysis on that gear lube and see what they have to say/recommend, although I can't understand for the life of me why GV would make that statement and not have a solution/suggestion to address it...? I'm thinking maybe a HD synthetic gear lube might do the job...what does it normally take? It actually won't handle the load, that's my point, and disengaging it when you're towing is rubbish...it sounds like the GV isn't capable of handling the torque/load/stress of towing which is why they flake when it comes to warrantying its use with vehicles that are towing...blaming the lube/oil is weak sauce...
I'd be curious if Blackstone could analyze the fluid, since they may not know the elements contained in a GV. I'll do it, if BS can get a accurate analysis.
I agree with your statement about GV. If they make units strong enough for an RV (that weighs <15K) why can't it move a truck with a 12K trailer. I can only speculate about why he said it. Since I don't tow much; I'm not very concerned. The oil is SAE 75W-90 synthetic Gear Oil, change every 10K or every other oil change.

Originally Posted by hair bear
For anyone interested in cetane boost Bell Laboratories makes a product that is just a cetane booster and does not have the cleaning additives and such. Have to purchase it on-line no store outlets that I can finde.
Since I've been on FTE, most people here recommend Diesel Kleen cetane booster, it has additives. It cheap at Wal-Mart.

Last edited by grende7581; 06-03-2012 at 10:02 AM. Reason: typo
Old 08-28-2012, 10:04 PM
grende7581
Mountain Pass
I recently made the trip from San Diego to Dallas (I-8 > I-10 > I-20).
I hand calculated the mileage following Yuma, first time on a long stretch with the GV.
Yuma Az. to Las Cruces NM, 15.8 MPG. adv spd 80
Las Cruces to Midland Tx, 14.4 adv spd 82
Midland to Dallas, 14.4 adv spd

Total MPG Yuma-Dallas. 15.0 (LOM Adv 16.5) Boost was 10-20PSI

From these numbers a GV may not seems worth it. But all hope of better mileage is not lost. The DPF must go!

Parkland, great minds think alike.
Two things to keep in mind, speed limit in West Tx and NM is 80 with lots of long climbs and I was experimenting.
Today I made the run from Dallas to Houston, I got 17.2 MPG, adv spd 74, Boost was 6-12PSI

Last edited by grende7581; 08-30-2012 at 09:21 PM. Reason: mileage update
Old 08-29-2012, 07:48 AM
bigjr2
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Im really bad with math so anyone got a handy formula to hand calculate the mileage? Im kind of afraid to do it mine already says im getting around 9 empty or loaded

Old 08-29-2012, 08:03 AM
R-T0r21on
More Turbo
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Miles driven (between fill ups) divided by gallons used.

Old 08-29-2012, 08:21 AM
ljutic ss
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by big jr2
Im really bad with math so anyone got a handy formula to hand calculate the mileage? I'm kind of afraid to do it mine already says i'm getting around 9 empty or loaded

Once you fill up zero your odometer, next time you fill up divide the gallons of fuel into your mileage showing on the trip odometer.

Example 127 miles driving and you used 10 gallons of fuel = 12.7 MPG

The most important thing is making sure your tank is completely filled up, which means the 1st time the pump nozzle shuts off you can still nurse 2-3 more gallons of fuel into your tank. Yesterday fillup yielded me 16.7 MPG running empty and driving 60-65 MPH.

Old 08-29-2012, 01:28 PM
pugster
Senior User
Shocking ...

hard to believe ...

Old 08-29-2012, 10:04 PM
auriferous
Senior User

Originally Posted by ljutic ss
Once you fill up zero your odometer, next time you fill up divide the gallons of fuel into your mileage showing on the trip odometer.

Example 127 miles driving and you used 10 gallons of fuel = 12.7 MPG

The most important thing is making sure your tank is completely filled up, which means the 1st time the pump nozzle shuts off you can still nurse 2-3 more gallons of fuel into your tank. Yesterday fillup yielded me 16.7 MPG running empty and driving 60-65 MPH.
I usually manage to get 4gallons after the shut off and it is annoying.12-14 mpg combined on the #4setting banks

Old 08-30-2012, 03:22 AM
ETKMS
Elder User
Originally Posted by o'berry farms
Im not sure what to tell you i have been getting about 15 mpg in a F450 4x4 8 foot factory bed with the 430 rear axle. and now that i just changed the fuel oil and air filters im getting between 17-20 mpg and i havent done any mods to it. it might be the fuel you are getting try some additives that increases the cetain rateing of your fuel.
Total BS, I have a F450 with 4:88 rear end and mine is only 2WD with spartan 210 tune, intake, cetane booster on every fill up etc and my truck never has seen better then 14mpg NON towing going 65mph. Usually though you do not see better then 13mpg though even when you baby it. You say your getting 20mpg on a STOCK F450?

Old 08-30-2012, 07:41 AM
bigjr2
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ok but for this to be accurate wouldn't we need to know the exact size of our tank and run till we empty? or are we just averaging our mileage still? if that's the case i average about 9 mpg with my bone stock truck. which is pretty much what my lieometer tells me.

Quick Reply: my truck is a pig on fuel !!!!