1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

1956 F100 Hidden VIN Locations - HELP

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 10:24 PM
Glxy66
Mountain Pass
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
More problems in NC

How about some opinions about this. I recently bought a 56 F100 frame that came with a Va. title in the sellers name. The vin # on the VA. title was a 7 digit number that starts with MA. The seller, who had owned the entire truck since the early 80's, told me that he had bought it in Maine originally and that Maine had assigned it the MA#. When he moved to Virginia, they just put that number on their title and off it went. I can plainly see the Ford vin# on the top of the frame, right front. I am wondering if it would be wise for me to stamp the MA# in the frame beside the Ford #. I am sure that a DMV guy will have to see the frame before a title would be issued. Also, how much of a truck do you have to have before you can get a title. The frame is a roller with engine and trans, no sheet metal at all. The original body was stolen from a body shop in So. Va. some years ago. Thanks for the feedback.

Old 04-09-2012, 11:08 PM
Nighthawk756
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HkyswiM
I found the one on my 55 just in front of the cab on the passenger side. On top of the frame rail. It was totally covered in years of grime. I kept spraying the area with simple green cleaner and scrubbed with a wire brush. It is very faint but I located it. Another problem could be if your frame was painted since you mentioned the other one was taken off. In this case it may have been filled in with paint and there's no way to find it unless you strip it all again.

Maybe someone else can help you out more. Good luck though.
Exactly where mine is on my '56. Just in front of the cab on the top of the passenger side frame rail.

It wasn't hard to see mine at all and it was completely legible after a quick wire brushing.

Old 04-09-2012, 11:12 PM
Dano78
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by NumberDummy
No such thing as a VIN on any pre 1949 FoMoCo Passenger Car or pre 1948 FoMoCo truck.

These vehicles were registered by their specific engine number that was also stamped on the hogshead. It was not stamped anywhere else.

The problem was, when the engine was changed, the numbers no longer matched. The VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) registers the entire vehicle.

Les Kelley, the largest used car dealer in the world and a Ford Dealer (Kelley Kar Co., located on downtown LA's auto row-Figueroa St.) came up with the VIN system.

FoMoCo went with VIN's in 1948 for trucks, 1949 for Passenger Cars. Before too long, all the automakers adopted it. Kelley also founded Kelley Blue Books.

And btw: Kelley Blue Books that were issued to car dealers, banks, finance and insurance companies listed the location of every automakers hidden VIN
Well it may not be referred to officially as a 'VIN' but rather a Serial # and that's what the DMV uses and is on the title of my '47 coupe. Essentially this 'Serial number' is a 2 part number. The first part denotes the engine make and model, the second is the serial or unit number. All combined make up a VIN number. My '47 is stamped ahead of the drivers body mount on the driver frame rail and just the serial number is stamped on the top of the frame rail above the rear axle. The flattie 6 may have also been stamped with this number too. Ford has been using this identification process since the Model B. The Model T and Model A were the only ones that were solely marked on the engine itself. I don't recall seeing any numbers stamped on a Model A and know for a fact they wern't used on a "T" except for on the engine. I'm not sure when they started stamping the frames but i know for a FACT that my '47 is stamped and a '46 parts car i scrapped was stamped in the exact same spots. I asked my dad if his '32 coupe he had decades ago was stamped and he 'believes' that it was but can't remember for sure.

Quoted from the Vanpelt Sales LLC website:
From 1932 through 1948 vehicles, Ford Motor Company stamped the serial number into the top of the driver's side frame rail in three locations.
This same number was also stamped into the top of the transmission-to-engine housing portion of the transmission. This location was visible when the
floorboard and transmission cover plate were removed (
click here for a picture example). Of the frame-stamped serial numbers, only the forward-most
stamping was visible when looking down into the engine compartment (located between the front crossmember and the dash (firewall). The two other frame
locations are visible only when the body is removed from the frame. The serial numbers were metal stamped with numbers/letters approximately 1/4" in height.

Visit this link for more info on the subject. Everything here I've found to be true thus far, so i have really no reason to question them.
Early Ford Serial Numbers For Cars and Trucks Manufactured for the USA Market from 1932 to 1953

Old 04-10-2012, 06:23 AM
South of BC
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Glxy66
How about some opinions about this. I recently bought a 56 F100 frame that came with a Va. title in the sellers name. The vin # on the VA. title was a 7 digit number that starts with MA. The seller, who had owned the entire truck since the early 80's, told me that he had bought it in Maine originally and that Maine had assigned it the MA#. When he moved to Virginia, they just put that number on their title and off it went. I can plainly see the Ford vin# on the top of the frame, right front. I am wondering if it would be wise for me to stamp the MA# in the frame beside the Ford #. I am sure that a DMV guy will have to see the frame before a title would be issued. Also, how much of a truck do you have to have before you can get a title. The frame is a roller with engine and trans, no sheet metal at all. The original body was stolen from a body shop in So. Va. some years ago. Thanks for the feedback.
I wouldn't. One reason is that having two VIN numbers might cause problems. The other reason would be to keep the truck original. I would do some homework to see what could be done. A phone call to Raleigh may be in order. In fact a phone call to Maine might be a good idea to get information that will prove the reason for the off number. New rating plates are available, so when you get a cab you can have a plate done that will match the frame.

Old 04-10-2012, 09:10 AM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,423 Likes on 1,379 Posts
Originally Posted by Glxy66
It's not a good idea to ever do any frame stampings. That's best left to the authorities and considered VIN tampering if we do it, which is a federal offense.

The guy's story may be legit, and for your sake, let's hope it is. It would be nice to have some proof to go with it, like a police report or something to document the loss. Every state is different. Do you have to have the truck inspected before you can transfer the title? Some states, like Washington, require a full running and roadworthy vehicle before they will inspect it. There's no way a rolling chassis would ever pass inspection here. But with a title, I can get it transferred to my name with no questions asked.

It all depends on how many red flags you want to raise. You could check with Maine to get some verification on the assigned vin, if they'll tell you anything. You could find out more about the stolen body story to have something to back up the claim, in case you ever needed it. Or, just let sleeping dogs lie and not worry about it until you have to. It's an interesting story. Keep us posted on how it turns out.

Old 12-30-2012, 04:14 PM
kip.allen
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NC TITLE

Finally!!!!! I got throught the NC Special Titles Unit and have received the clear title on my 56. I convinced them that the 57 VIN tag was attached differently than the 56 by the many photo's and comments I received from FTE members and some from Ebay photos (over 30 photo's of 30 different VINS). It only took 1 1/2 years to get them to clear the title while my truck sat in the building. The local DMV Inspector was as frustrated as I with the "stubborness" of the Raleigh main office.

Old 12-30-2012, 06:27 PM
South of BC
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Congratulations!

Old 01-01-2013, 10:14 PM
Dano78
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Congrats! That IS great news!

NOW GET TO WORK!!!