Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

any x owners with kids still in car seats?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 06:18 PM
atom631
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
any x owners with kids still in car seats?

so I went to move my car seats over to my 01 X and I was pretty happy that the truck has the latch system... i didnt actually expect that. however, they are in the most awful location. neither of my car seat's latch system works with the X. I know I'm installing 9+year newer seats on an older vehicle, so I am assuming that maybe the specs for the latch system changed in the last several years?

Has anyone else come across this and do something to make it work? I was thinking of installing some sort of extension bracket or chain...but these are my kid's lives I'd be playing with and decided probably not the best idea.

Old 04-07-2012, 06:35 PM
TXtinct
You'll shoot your eye out

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have three car seats in mine. I just use the seatbelts...

Old 04-07-2012, 06:44 PM
atom631
Freshman User
Originally Posted by TXtinct
I have three car seats in mine. I just use the seatbelts...
yeah what I did too..but Im more confident in the latch system. Definitely a better option if your vehicle has it.

Old 04-07-2012, 06:51 PM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
I just use the seatbelts too.

Old 04-07-2012, 07:58 PM
LWW
Elder User
What year is your X? I have 3 kids, 2 still in seats and use the seatbelts...

Old 04-07-2012, 08:42 PM
X-70STANG-F150
Senior User
I dont think they have latch - just the teather hooks.

Old 04-07-2012, 09:24 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Subscribing. We just stuck a car seat in the Ex for the grand-baby. (boy how things have changed.) We've got some aftermarket foam and leather on our seats, but the problem we ran into was the tether hook points were too far down for the car seat straps to reach.

After looking at how the tether points are attached, and looking at the strength of everything, I'm looking at getting an aftermarket lap belt (seatbelt) and some shackles to connect it so everything is long enough to work with the set up I have. I know that set up would be stronger than what the car seat had to offer originally, but I'm open to other suggestions as well.

It's a Graco car seat by the way.

Old 04-07-2012, 09:25 PM
nzirbel
More Turbo

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by X-70STANG-F150
I dont think they have latch - just the teather hooks.
X2 on that, just tether for forward facing. U might also want to check the expiration date on your car seats (no I'm not kidding). Manufacturers found that heat and time age the plastics and suggest replacing them after 6(I think ) years.

Old 04-07-2012, 09:26 PM
nzirbel
More Turbo

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sorry, read wrong on seat age, but good advice to all that I sure never knew!

Old 04-07-2012, 10:08 PM
2SONS
Junior User
Originally Posted by nzirbel
X2 on that, just tether for forward facing.
X3, the Ex has a tether at the bottom of the rear seat back on the second row, but does not have the "latch" system. I have two car seats in my EX. The rear facing infant seat is secured with the seat belt. The front facing toddler Britax seat is secured with the seat belt and the tether. Both seats are pretty much locked in place and do not move/wiggle at all. If you take your time you should be able to secure the seat into the EX with just the seat belt for a rear facing seat or with the seat belt and tether for a front facing seat. Let me know if you want pictures showing the seat installation, I can take some tomorrow and post them if that will help.

Good luck, in my opinion car seats are a major PIA. However they are a NECESSITY.

Old 04-07-2012, 10:14 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
I'd love to see some pics (rear facing preferably). Ours just seems too loose with only a seat belt.

Old 04-07-2012, 10:31 PM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 931 Likes on 679 Posts
Carabiners

I use them for tying boxes to the floor, give a bit more wiggle room than the small loops in the back of the 2nd row seats. IMO a locking beaner will work fine for the car seat.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...pre-03-ex.html

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/5...hors-in-x.html

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/4...-car-seat.html

Old 04-07-2012, 10:37 PM
atom631
Freshman User
so those 2 clips behind each seat is actually for tethers and not latch? I suppose that would make more sense as the tethers are pretty long...but why 2?

also...just so we are all on the same page, and correct me if i am wrong,

tether = a strap with a hook that is attached usually to the top area of the car seat

latch = 2 straps with click-locks that usually anchor the car seat down into the seat...usually found in the corner between the seat bottom and seat back.

Old 04-07-2012, 10:45 PM
bigzirb
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That is because the 01 Ex doesn't have the latch system. What you are looking at (if yours is the same as my 01) are the hook points for the top tether belt on the car seat to hook to at the base of the second row seat. It is strange that there are 4 loops to choose from, but it is so you can pick the hook point that is in line with the seat. I just use the center seat with just the retracktable lap belt because it gets the carseat to stay the tightest. It also gives the most impact room around the car seat if we are ever in a crash. You can't be too careful when it is the kids on the line.

Old 04-07-2012, 10:56 PM
atom631
Freshman User
ok...then case solved. For my 2.5yr old in a regular car seat (Britax Boulevard) I am going to hook the tether up to one of the latches and use the shoulder belt through the back. As of right now, I only have the shoulder belt on..but its pretty damn tight. The tether will only make it that much better, so thats good news.

For my 10month old, he is still in a graco infant car seat. What I did here was I used the latch hooks on 2 points under the seat cushon. Its hard to explain, I will snap a pic if someone is interested. If you pick up the seat cushion, there is a loop on one side (oppsite the belt buckle). I used that as one point and on the side with the buckle, if you look behind it, you will see a hole in the seat frame. My latch-hook clicked right on and the pull strap actually slipped right out the belt buckle hole. Now I know this isnt DOT approved, tested, certified, etc.... so I am ALSO using the shoulder belt on top of that.... This is merely another way to keep it fastened ( never feel like just the shoulder strap keeps things tight).

All of this makes getting passengers difficult into the 3rd row seating..but what can you do? My children's safety is priority one, so if it means someone is climbing over the seat, or I have to unclick the shoulder strap, so be it.

Quick Reply: any x owners with kids still in car seats?