Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Cheap volt meter saves the day...again.

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 01:07 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Cheap volt meter saves the day...again.

Earlier this week I noticed the volts were quite low while cranking...sometimes dipping down to the 7.8-8.2v range (as displayed by the cheap volt meter plugged into the cigarette lighter outlet). The truck still started but I could tell it wasn't turning over as quick as normal. I figured it was getting time for new batteries since this particular truck eats batteries just about every two years (almost like clockwork).

So, I parked the truck for the week and drove one of the others until I could have time to replace the batteries. This morning I was fixing to head over to the dealer (since the batteries are under warranty still) but I thought that maybe I should check the cables first. Sure enough, both clamps on the bank 2 battery were a bit loose. I tightened them up and it seems like the issue is fixed. Cranking volts are back to around 11.4 so it sounds like my batteries are fine after all.

Without the volt meter, I probably wouldn't have known there was a problem. Moral of the story, check your battery connections from time to time and possibly avoid electrical issues or maybe even a no start down the road.

Old 04-07-2012, 01:14 PM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Thanks for the heads-up Greg.

I finally bought one of those meters and a trickle charger off Amazon.

Nice to be able to see the cranking volts.

I can't figure out how your truck started at 7.8-8.2 volts.

I guess "sometimes dipping down to" might explain it.

Old 04-07-2012, 01:15 PM
guitarpicr
Cargo Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good tip Greg - The grease that the auto parts places sell is well worth the money - Clean all connections & hit them with a healthy coat of the grease. Lasts a long time too - I did mine in 2008 when I replaced both batts & still no crust & corrosion

Old 04-07-2012, 01:29 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by PaysonPSD
Thanks for the heads-up Greg.

I finally bought one of those meters and a trickle charger off Amazon.

Nice to be able to see the cranking volts.

I can't figure out how your truck started at 7.8-8.2 volts.

I guess "sometimes dipping down to" might explain it.
Yeah, surprised me too. I drove Alvin for 3 days like that, sorta waiting for the day it just wouldn't start. I watched the meter and it dropped down to the mid 8s every time and on Tuesday I saw high 7s...so I figured I was pushing my luck and I decided to drive Simon for the rest of the week. If I am not mistaken, the power for the PCM comes directly from a lead attached to the bank 1 battery so maybe the voltage on that wire was a bit higher...

Originally Posted by guitarpicr
Good tip Greg - The grease that the auto parts places sell is well worth the money - Clean all connections & hit them with a healthy coat of the grease. Lasts a long time too - I did mine in 2008 when I replaced both batts & still no crust & corrosion
Good tip. I haven't tried the protestant grease yet, maybe I'll give that stuff a try. I normally use the stuff in the aerosol can...it's a red coating that gets sprayed over the terminal and battery clamps and is supposed to resist corrosion. When I run out of that stuff, I'll give the grease a try.

Old 04-07-2012, 01:52 PM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
I use Ideal Noalox to coat the batt posts and the cable connectors. The connections always look clean.
Got it at Home Depot but should be available at most places that have electrical supplies.

Attached Images  
Old 04-07-2012, 04:00 PM
stinson 108-1
stinson 108-1
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
hey guys, if you use a trickle charger, which battery do you put it on? mine sits for a while.

Old 04-07-2012, 04:28 PM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by stinson 108-1
hey guys, if you use a trickle charger, which battery do you put it on? mine sits for a while.
Either one.

Old 04-07-2012, 04:39 PM
stinson 108-1
stinson 108-1
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
thanks Robin.

Old 04-07-2012, 08:29 PM
mueckster
Lead Driver
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I use the grease soaked felt washers on the battery posts and spray the clamps with NAPA Battery Terminal Protectant. Most of the corrosion originates from under the clamp and migrates up the post.

Old 04-07-2012, 11:59 PM
bigb56
Cargo Master

Received 218 Likes on 148 Posts
Originally Posted by stinson 108-1
I connected mine across both batteries as per Battery Tender instructions.

Old 04-08-2012, 01:10 AM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by PaysonPSD
I use Ideal Noalox to coat the batt posts and the cable connectors. The connections always look clean.
Got it at Home Depot but should be available at most places that have electrical supplies.
Thanks for the pic Robin, Jim Meggawatt praises this stuff and him being an electrician I believe him, need to get this stuff. As for the voltmeter, its worth every penny, very cost friendly. I use mine off of my Scan Gauge. Glad it worked out.

Old 04-08-2012, 09:07 AM
danskool
Go Bills !
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Noalox.. Good stuff..

I use my P3 brake controller. Shows volts. Just mentioned it because my friend has a P3 and went out to get one of these cig lighter meters. I said, why don't you use your P3 for this, He said, Whoops, Forgot it had that feature.

Old 04-08-2012, 10:27 AM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
Greg,

Jus' wonderin', do you also have a truck named Theodore?

Pop

Old 04-08-2012, 01:53 PM
JOHN2001
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
I hooked up a cheap set too not long ago and I noticed when the truck sits for a day its at 11ish volts then after a minute of running it shoots up to 14ish V. My head lights are dim then get bright. Batterys or alternator?

Old 04-08-2012, 03:35 PM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by JOHN2001
I hooked up a cheap set too not long ago and I noticed when the truck sits for a day its at 11ish volts then after a minute of running it shoots up to 14ish V. My head lights are dim then get bright. Batterys or alternator?
Batteries.

Quick Reply: Cheap volt meter saves the day...again.