Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

New Powerstroke vs All Other Diesels In It's Class

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2003, 09:14 AM
pfogle
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

actually you're wrong, international put the powerstroke in most of their MEDIUM duty trucks and a few of their HEAVY duty trucks, it also finds it's home in SCHOOL BUSSES. So what was that about the cummins 5.9 being a MEDIUM duty engine? THe only thing I have ever seen it in is a 1 ton dodge, oh AND the new fleet f350s on up the the F750s. I wouldn't buy the cummins or PSD in the f650 or F750 I would go with the CAT.

Old 05-21-2003, 09:18 AM
johnsdiesel
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by CumminNotStrokin
The Powerstroke is a "Light Duty" engine and the Cummins 5.9 is a "medium duty" engine. The Powerstroke isn't even in the same class as the Cummins.
You're right, but you are missing an important point. The Cummins 5.9 is better suited to medium duty applications than light duty. The torque curve of the Cummins 5.9 is much shorter than the 6.0. It does make peak torque a little sooner than the Power Stroke, but the Power Stroke isn't that far behind. The Power Stroke maintains a high level of torque for almost double the time period of the Cummins. The Power Stroke simply outperforms the Cummins in a light duty application. The Cummins is better suited to medium duty applications where it can be mated to a transmission larger than a 6 speed to maximize the short torque curve.

Just because an engine works well in a medium or heavy duty application doesn't mean it will work well in a pickup truck.

Old 05-21-2003, 09:18 AM
dman01
Senior User

The cummins Is also used in Case IH tractors. fl170's use them and Many crop sprayers use the 5.9 cummins. I have seen them in cranes street sweepers and a lot more. Of course Powerstrokes would be in Busses most buses are made by IH so why would they use a different engine?

Old 05-21-2003, 09:20 AM
pfogle
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

International is a bit like GM in that respect, or AMC , lets use everyone elses products and save a buck... I have seen everything from detriots to cummins in international trucks, just never the 5.9. Also a street sweeper is a waste of time for the cummins, too much sleeping for the motor.

Old 05-21-2003, 09:21 AM
johnsdiesel
Post Fiend

I'm amazed at some of the responses.

Last edited by johnsdiesel; 05-21-2003 at 09:24 AM.
Old 05-21-2003, 09:25 AM
dman01
Senior User

Originally posted by pfogle
International is a bit like GM in that respect, or AMC , lets use everyone elses products and save a buck... I have seen everything from detriots to cummins in international trucks, just never the 5.9. Also a street sweeper is a waste of time for the cummins, too much sleeping for the motor.
Most trucks can be ordered with any engine the buyer wants. It then becomes the choiece of the buyer not the builder. I worked part time for our School working on thr dt466. Thats all we use in our busses. I tried to get our school to buy them with a Cummins in it but when you buy from the state like public schools have to you have to chose from what the state will give you. I have seen many Freightliner busses with a cummins in it.

Old 05-21-2003, 09:26 AM
dman01
Senior User

Originally posted by johnsdiesel
I'm amazed at some of the responses.
Is that a bad thing?

Old 05-21-2003, 09:35 AM
johnsdiesel
Post Fiend

Originally posted by Logical Heritic
we were talking peak torque right? Cause 500 isnt peak for either engine. The cummins makes peak torque longer. the psd makes 500 longer. Slight difference but worth pointing out.
Lets just do the math. 305 hp x 5252 / 2900 = 552 lb ft. You said 300 right. I got 552. Hmm I wonder why the descrepancy. I hope you werent going by a dyno graph that is on the Ford parent site. It is a gross misrepresentation of both products. Creative to say the least. Because if you do the math. The 6.0 is dropping off torque peak when it reaches peak hp.

Thus the cummins makes very close to peak 555lb ft from 1400-2900 rpm. The 6.o makes peak at 2000. And is dropping it somewhere before 3300. 325 x 5252 / 3300= 517. I seen the graph.

The cummins makes Peak torque for longer. the psd makes peak torque for 12 or 1300 rpm and the cummins make peak torque for 1500 rpm. Where did YOU get your numbers?
The Cummins does not sit at 555 lb/ft of torque through the entire range of the engine. Therefore it does not make peak torque from 1400-2900 rpm's. You pointed out yourself that it makes 552 lb/ft at 2900, if that is indeed accurate. I question the HP ratings of the Cummins and the torque curve charts you linked. The torque curve on the Cummins seems very unusual looking, like it has been "edited" to enhance what people want to see.

The torque curve of the Power Stroke is more than a little broader, it is a lot broader than the Cummins. It is simply a better engine for a pickup truck application.

Last edited by johnsdiesel; 05-21-2003 at 09:40 AM.
Old 05-21-2003, 09:43 AM
dman01
Senior User

Originally posted by johnsdiesel
The Cummins does not sit at 555 lb/ft of torque through the entire range of the engine. Therefore it does not make peak torque from 1400-2900 rpm's. You pointed out yourself that it makes 552 lb/ft at 2900, if that is indeed accurate. I question the HP ratings of the Cummins.

The torque curve of the Power Stroke is more than a little broader, it is a lot broader than the Cummins. It is simply a better engine for a pickup truck application.
I think that is an opinion and not a fact. Its a free country so you are able to state that opinion and if we don't want to read it we don't have to. There is more to an engine than performance (not saying the Powerstroke performs better than the Cummins) Fuel milage and longevity are also big parts of what make an engine good or bad.

Old 05-21-2003, 09:46 AM
johnsdiesel
Post Fiend

Originally posted by dman01
I think that is an opinion and not a fact. Its a free country so you are able to state that opinion and if we don't want to read it we don't have to. There is more to an engine than performance (not saying the Powerstroke performs better than the Cummins) Fuel milage and longevity are also big parts of what make an engine good or bad.
I didn't say it was a fact, I stated my opinion.

Fuel mileage playing a role in making an engine good or bad is also an opinion, not a fact.

Old 05-21-2003, 09:50 AM
dman01
Senior User

Are you saying a engine that gets 5mpg and the same size engine in a different brand gets 10 that the one is not a bad design compaired to the other. Both putting out around the same HP.
When I mean fuel milage I mean compaired to a simular engine. I know a honda 4 banger is going to get better milage than a V12 cat diesel.

Old 05-21-2003, 10:30 AM
johnsdiesel
Post Fiend

Are you saying a engine that gets 5mpg and the same size engine in a different brand gets 10 that the one is not a bad design compaired to the other. Both putting out around the same HP.
When I mean fuel milage I mean compaired to a simular engine. I know a honda 4 banger is going to get better milage than a V12 cat diesel.
I'm saying you got on my case for fact vs. opinion and I'm turning it around to your post. What you're saying is an opinion, not a fact, albeit an opinion that the majority of people share. Some people would say that the old Ford 460 is better than the current V10 (not me) although the mileage was MUCH worse.

Old 05-21-2003, 10:54 AM
dman01
Senior User

But that comes down to saying it is better about smaller stuff. Some people like fuelinjected some don't. If an engine last longer and has better fuel milage with less breakdowns over a large number of engines built then on paper it shows to be the better engine over all the others that did not fare as well that were in the same class with the same or close to it horse power.

Old 05-21-2003, 11:44 AM
johnsdiesel
Post Fiend

But that comes down to saying it is better about smaller stuff. Some people like fuelinjected some don't. If an engine last longer and has better fuel milage with less breakdowns over a large number of engines built then on paper it shows to be the better engine over all the others that did not fare as well that were in the same class with the same or close to it horse power.
Towards the end, the 460 was fuel injected.

You can't make the claim that the new Power Stroke won't last that long because that won't be known for years. Based on the fact that the 7.3 is capable of very high mileage and gave great performance, you can only expect the same from the new Power Stroke.

Old 05-21-2003, 01:19 PM
WXboy
Cargo Master
Received 341 Likes on 207 Posts

So basically no one knows which one is better. The end.

See, that was easy!

Now, we'll let the Cummins fans drive Cummins-powered trucks, and the PSD people can have their PSDs and we'll all just get along and be glad that at least we aren't giving our hard earned money to Japan like all those nuts driving double-cab Tacomas.

Quick Reply: New Powerstroke vs All Other Diesels In It's Class