Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Wrench day on its way!

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 10:21 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Wrench day on its way!

April 28th at woodnthings hangout is coming soon and I want to get some stuff done. I figured this would be a good topic to share, so here it is:
  • All sensors reading normal
  • Mods in sig
  • Tired HPOP
  • Occasional injector knock in the parking lot when in gear (just one)
  • Last fuel filter had black (algae?) on it - changed
I'm ordering a complete HPOP with core deposit and I'm going to install the FRx while it's convenient. It was suggested I service the fuel filter bowl while it's out and that makes sense. There was also mention of the HPOP lines?

Here's the question: Without busting my wallet open like a piñata (I do enough of that without help), are there any suggestions for maintenance while I have "Stinky's" guts splayed about? Please bear in mind I have a pretty full dance card already and this needs to be done in one day.

Old 04-07-2012, 10:45 AM
bfife
still plays with trucks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the HPOP lines are a must. the ones you have are 12yrs old. You don't want to change them on the side of the road. ask me how I know, it sucks.

Barney

Old 04-07-2012, 10:56 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Originally Posted by bfife
the HPOP lines are a must. the ones you have are 12yrs old. You don't want to change them on the side of the road. ask me how I know, it sucks.

Barney
I was wondering about that very thing. There goes another $$. It's a good thing I saved up for this project... yeesh. I feel like I'm Clay's children's college fund.

Old 04-07-2012, 10:57 AM
Smokiesman
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tugly!! I have only one thing to say bub and thats yer havin way to much fun!!!

Smokie

Old 04-07-2012, 11:02 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Smokiesman
Tugly!! I have only one thing to say bub and thats yer havin way to much fun!!!

Smokie
Oh sure... you say that now, but I wonder what the sentiment will be in my retirement years when all I have to show for it is a well-maintained diesel that I can't afford the fuel for.

Old 04-07-2012, 11:09 AM
Smokiesman
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Tugly
Oh sure... you say that now, but I wonder what the sentiment will be in my retirement years when all I have to show for it is a well-maintained diesel that I can't afford the fuel for.
I know what ya mean ! I was holding my breath I was getting back from FL before it was $8 a gal!!! Retirement will come faster than you want!! You know what they say youth is wasted on the young!! BTW good luck on yer wrenchin !!!

Smokie

Old 04-07-2012, 11:11 AM
woodnthings
Cargo Master

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I replaced the HPOP lines on mine when I swapped over to the T-500. I figure it is a great insurance policy that will keep me from being stuck miles away from a replacement line on a Saturday at 4:00 (seems to be when they let go). I keep the old ones in the truck as spares.

In reality, you only have about 4 hours worth of work there. You could always buy a few more parts to fill up the day of wrenching!

Old 04-07-2012, 11:26 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Originally Posted by woodnthings
I replaced the HPOP lines on mine when I swapped over to the T-500. I figure it is a great insurance policy that will keep me from being stuck miles away from a replacement line on a Saturday at 4:00 (seems to be when they let go). I keep the old ones in the truck as spares.

In reality, you only have about 4 hours worth of work there. You could always buy a few more parts to fill up the day of wrenching!
Oh sure! I'm already up to a grand in 4 hours - I await the next 4 hours of work with abated breath (and pulse).

Oh.... I threw a complete O-ring kit on the list for good measure. I know how these things go - every part can earn the nickname "Touch-N-Spew".

Old 04-07-2012, 03:04 PM
2000ca250
Posting Guru
I'll be there as well. Probably going to try to tackle studs/springs/pushrods and if time allows a melling LPOP. Planning on being there bright and early at 8am as I will need to be out of there around 8pm. I feel confident that I will be able to get it done, but will definitely need some help/advice as I have never tackled these things before. Especially nervous about the spring install. Headstuds seem to be a simple matter of unbolt the stock bolt, insert stud, torque to spec...just time consuming because there are so many...is this right?

on edit, Tugly, where in eastern WA are you? me and spool&go will be heading over from ellensburg. If youre anywhere near we should all caravan over

Old 04-07-2012, 04:41 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Originally Posted by 2000ca250
on edit, Tugly, where in eastern WA are you? me and spool&go will be heading over from ellensburg. If youre anywhere near we should all caravan over
Wenatchee - I'm taking 2 because it's just over the hump. Are you going 97 to Leavenworth? McDonalds grilled breakfast burritos are pretty good and that would make a nice rally point. 5:30 there should put us at woodnthings about 8:00. Your thoughts?

Old 04-07-2012, 07:14 PM
bluescrew
Elder User
head studs! damn... you're ripping right into it eh!! im gonna have to stop by and check out the madness!

Old 04-07-2012, 07:29 PM
2000ca250
Posting Guru
I was thinking we might just go 90 and take 5 up....ill talk yo bryce and see what he thinks. Wouldn't mind taking 2 Stevenson pass would be some good data logs

Old 04-07-2012, 07:35 PM
ChunderDownUnder
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by Tugly
I was wondering about that very thing. There goes another $$. It's a good thing I saved up for this project... yeesh. I feel like I'm Clay's children's college fund.
you and me both bruva. I cant move in my garage for all the empty Riffraff boxes

Old 04-07-2012, 09:53 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
One nice thing about 2 is I get to use the Snake Brake westbound.

OK. It's been a full day so far and HPOP lines are on my list (thanks to bfife and woodnthings) and I added an O-ring set. While I was waiting for input, I replaced my power steering pump - it's a lot smoother now. I take it I have enough "gotchas" covered on my list?

Old 04-07-2012, 10:04 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by 2000ca250
I was thinking we might just go 90 and take 5 up....ill talk yo bryce and see what he thinks. Wouldn't mind taking 2 Stevenson pass would be some good data logs
If I remember right, you have to unbolt the motor mount on each side to get the studs in on the ends. At least you did on the EX model. Mit want to talk to someone thats done it. Its a two man job if your going to do all that in one day.

Chet

Quick Reply: Wrench day on its way!