3.0L Powerstroke Diesel Discuss the forthcoming 3.0L V6 Ford diesel in the F150

Can we just delete this 4.4 section?

Old 07-06-2012, 12:21 PM
El Camino Man
Logistics Pro
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^^ Exactly lol. Its prolly only a matter of time til you can only get diesel vehicles IMO

Old 07-20-2012, 09:06 PM
copracr
Mountain Pass
And if the current trend of more complicated, less reliable, more expensive, heavier trucks continues why would you want that diesel?

I think some of you may be thinking "4bt in a ranger" but saying "yea, I want a small diesel in a truck". It won't be what you want by the time they put all the smog technology on it and it blows head gaskets at 40k miles or needs injectors at 80k.

Old 07-20-2012, 09:15 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 664 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by copracr
I think some of you may be thinking "4bt in a ranger" but saying "yea, I want a small diesel in a truck". It won't be what you want by the time they put all the smog technology on it and it blows head gaskets at 40k miles or needs injectors at 80k.
And which modern engine does that? Other than the occasional 6.0L I have yet to hear of any engine that's needed injectors and head gaskets by 80,000 miles. Furthermore how does smog technology have anything to do with the injectors or head gaskets?

Old 07-20-2012, 09:20 PM
El Camino Man
Logistics Pro
^^^ Hes got a point. Iv never even heard of a modern gasser needing head gaskets or spark plugs in less than 100,000 miles

Old 07-20-2012, 09:25 PM
copracr
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by Crazy001
And which modern engine does that? Other than the occasional 6.0L I have yet to hear of any engine that's needed injectors and head gaskets by 80,000 miles. Furthermore how does smog technology have anything to do with the injectors or head gaskets?
Ambulances regularly. The pre-powerstroke ones ran forever, the 7.3's ran a long time, and everythign after that can't go 100k without major multi-thousand dollar repairs. Ambulances see some hard service but no more so than other working super duties see.

And I meant smog technologies breaking and generally raising the price of the vehicle in addition to the other repairs these things are needing.

No one wants a BS unreliable diesel that costs too much to maintain. We want cheap reliable torque mile after mile and we're not seeing that out of diesels over the last 10+ years. Maybe the very newest ones are back on track, but I think it's too early to tell.

And I'm not just bashing ford here, the duramax's aren't exactly cleaning up in the repair claims dept either. Can't speak on the dodges cause I haven't seen many of the newer ones but I wouldn't doubt they have their fair share of problems.

Last edited by copracr; 07-20-2012 at 09:27 PM. Reason: addition
Old 07-21-2012, 06:49 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Copracr, I understand your need to spew things about new and complicated engines that might explode and bankrupt us, because as always, it's possible. But take a reality check.

Most of us enjoy trouble free economical service from our engines. We have way too much power and could stand to ease up a bit and try to gain more efficiency, but really, the new diesel tows things at 12mpg and empty at 16-19.

I also have 110,000 miles on my two year old powerstroke. No problems, I tow all the time, it just runs and runs. I'm not alone either, lots of people are doing very well with these things.

Old 07-22-2012, 04:29 AM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
I just read this whole thing for laughs. Thank you, you provided me with many.

Old 07-22-2012, 05:45 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by A/Ox4
I just read this whole thing for laughs. Thank you, you provided me with many.
I know, crazy thread. Hope I helped ya....

Old 07-23-2012, 11:45 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ambulances regularly. The pre-powerstroke ones ran forever, the 7.3's ran a long time, and everythign after that can't go 100k without major multi-thousand dollar repairs. Ambulances see some hard service but no more so than other working super duties see.

And I meant smog technologies breaking and generally raising the price of the vehicle in addition to the other repairs these things are needing.

No one wants a BS unreliable diesel that costs too much to maintain. We want cheap reliable torque mile after mile and we're not seeing that out of diesels over the last 10+ years. Maybe the very newest ones are back on track, but I think it's too early to tell.

And I'm not just bashing ford here, the duramax's aren't exactly cleaning up in the repair claims dept either. Can't speak on the dodges cause I haven't seen many of the newer ones but I wouldn't doubt they have their fair share of problems.

While I don't dispute your ideas or claims, I think that most ambulances are a poor idea if based on diesel powertrains. too much idling !!! Even on a tuned newer engine, or older diesel even... too much idling = death !!!

Old 07-23-2012, 11:47 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Crazy001
Out of fairness, if it weren't for smog test, we wouln'dt need 30,000 psi of fuel pressure to drive around.

Right there, many expenses would be spared.

Old 07-24-2012, 12:10 AM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by parkland
While I don't dispute your ideas or claims, I think that most ambulances are a poor idea if based on diesel powertrains. too much idling !!! Even on a tuned newer engine, or older diesel even... too much idling = death !!!
Ambulances are a TERRIBLE data sample base. For one, they are not even the same vehicles when they roll off the line. Changes are made to the vehicle.

Ambulances are almost ALWAYS idling. If they arent, they are plugged in to a power outlet, usually in a concrete apparatus bay. They dont sit long before being started back up. No warm up, no waiting for glow plugs, nothing. Cold to hot very fast. And the guys who drive them are NOT easy on them. There are two pedal positions in an ambulance, 0% and 100%. Drive your truck like this and see how it lasts. Better yet, go grab a bunch of other people and tell them to drive your truck like that. I promise you it will start having problems very quickly.

Old 07-24-2012, 12:19 AM
copracr
Mountain Pass
I do believe ambulances see harsh service conditions, but what about plow trucks, tow trucks, or any other number of examples. They all see severe duty.

And i'm not comparing ambulances to other service vehicles, i'm comparing new ambulances to older ones. Sure newer ones are faster and more fuel efficient, but longevity and service costs are sacrificed - alot. newer motors have their perks, but diesel should always equal reliable first, everything else second. right?

Old 07-24-2012, 12:44 AM
parkland
Lead Driver
I do believe ambulances see harsh service conditions, but what about plow trucks, tow trucks, or any other number of examples. They all see severe duty.

And i'm not comparing ambulances to other service vehicles, i'm comparing new ambulances to older ones. Sure newer ones are faster and more fuel efficient, but longevity and service costs are sacrificed - alot. newer motors have their perks, but diesel should always equal reliable first, everything else second. right?
I wouldn't say tow trucks are "severe duty..."

Plow trucks, I think they could operate fine with 100 hp and the right gears,

I think that diesels that take the worst beating are ones that get run hard without warm ups, like ambulances, fire trucks, coast guard boats, etc.

I would not say that a modern day diesel is NOT reliable above all else; these engines are designed to make big power above all else, probably with fuel consumption 2nd, all being shodowed by emission compliance.

Old 10-08-2012, 10:08 AM
Michaelangelo
Trailering
European Diesels

I have a buddy over in Belgium who purchased a 2011 VW that gets 60+ mpg with the small three banger diesel. His brother came over to go to college and wanted to purchase that same vehicle here in the states to travel around in. The VW dealer said that the VW in question engine is not qualified for use in the USA. Luc (his real name) said the engine has the best exhaust performance of any diesel in the world and has been for quite some time. No the sales rep said, its not the "green" problem but the fact that the government won't get enough fed tax money if they allow engines that get 60+ mpg or more. That is why they are pushing electric/hybid cars since electricity is still taxed as well as the gasoline. It IS all a conspiracy believe me. Ford has had a small diesel in Europe for quite some time and they offer it in most of their smaller cars: Fiesta, etc. People over there prefer diesel because of the excellent mpg over gas.

Old 10-08-2012, 10:43 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 664 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by Michaelangelo
No the sales rep said, its not the "green" problem but the fact that the government won't get enough fed tax money if they allow engines that get 60+ mpg or more. That is why they are pushing electric/hybid cars since electricity is still taxed as well as the gasoline. It IS all a conspiracy believe me. Ford has had a small diesel in Europe for quite some time and they offer it in most of their smaller cars: Fiesta, etc. People over there prefer diesel because of the excellent mpg over gas.
A baseless conspiracy theory, there is no such restriction. The real reason diesels from Europe typically aren't for sale here is both lack of demand for diesel cars as well as the differing emissions standards between us and Europe. The European emissions regulations are slightly less draconian than our own, and therefore the vast majority of diesels over there could not meet the requirements set by our EPA.

Anybody can cook up some baseless story and sell it as fact, but that doesn't make it correct.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Can we just delete this 4.4 section?