Notices
3.0L Powerstroke Diesel Discuss the forthcoming 3.0L V6 Ford diesel in the F150

Can we just delete this 4.4 section?

Old 02-28-2013, 07:59 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
tjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputation
i thought you were talking about the road engines used in internationals.
a lot of people thought the 9 liter was a 3408.

the 3408 is a great engine. not a lot of HP, but the torque it makes in phenomenal.

Old 02-28-2013, 10:37 AM
CLINT-THE-GREAT
Posting Legend
CLINT-THE-GREAT has a superb reputationCLINT-THE-GREAT has a superb reputationCLINT-THE-GREAT has a superb reputationCLINT-THE-GREAT has a superb reputationCLINT-THE-GREAT has a superb reputationCLINT-THE-GREAT has a superb reputationCLINT-THE-GREAT has a superb reputationCLINT-THE-GREAT has a superb reputationCLINT-THE-GREAT has a superb reputationCLINT-THE-GREAT has a superb reputationCLINT-THE-GREAT has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by tjc transport View Post
i thought you were talking about the road engines used in internationals.
a lot of people thought the 9 liter was a 3408.

the 3408 is a great engine. not a lot of HP, but the torque it makes in phenomenal.
Ah, I gotcha, INTERNATIONAL as in a Foreign Country is what I meant, because the 3408 would never even come close to meeting our EPA rules.

-The Great

Old 10-15-2013, 03:11 PM
skatedoktor
New User
skatedoktor is starting off with a positive reputation.
Why would you want to delete this thread or sub-forum when the 4.4l diesel is being used in the new Land Rover Range Rover. Who owns Land Rover anyway

Old 10-15-2013, 05:56 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
tjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by skatedoktor View Post
Who owns Land Rover anyway

not Ford.
Jaguar Land Rover group is owned by Tata motors of India

Old 10-15-2013, 06:43 PM
skatedoktor
New User
Are they using the ford 4.4 or is it there own diesel

Old 10-15-2013, 06:51 PM
skatedoktor
New User
Found the answer

Ford 4.4 Turbo Diesel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

2013 will see a diesel hybrid

Too bad ford has hutas, would be a great engine in new navigator or expy

Old 10-20-2013, 05:47 PM
macone39
New User
macone39 is starting off with a positive reputation.
A Newbie wades in!

Canadian newspapers were filled with reports of the new Ram on the road and test-driven this past week in Ontario.
Seems like a bunch of auto reviewers were very impressed with the 3L turbo diesel offering.
420lbs of torque....not too shabby.Same as the ecoboost I think.
But that is not really the point is it?
Point is,average guy can now own a truck and play with the big boys,in a 1/2 ton.
Without emptying his pockets to the fuel companies.
The Ram 1500,only available in higher trim packages,gets 38 mpg(that's Canuk miles per.....more like 34 US).
The targeted-market buyer isn't pulling a 28 foot boat up a ramp,or a trailer loaded with stone.
He's a regular workin' guy doing regular workin' guy work.Or no work at all.Which accounts for what,90% of the truck market?
So....what are the other 'big' 2 gonna do?
Well,Ford has way too much money invested in the ecoboost to do much of anything...in the immediate future.IMHO...3-4 years.
GM is in much the same place.....too many 8/4's on order to make big changes.
I live in northern Canada.Where I come from,the day a kid turns 18,gets a job,and starts his life,his first stop is the truck dealer.He doesn't want a used whip either...all of them are buying new.
For them,HP and torque are still what they are after(along with truly stupid wheels of course!).So for the young'uns,maybe the little boosted V6 oil burner is not top of their list.Maybe the smart ones,as few and far between as they may be.
But for the rest of the guys,in my little burg,all anyone could talk about all weekend was about how soon they can get their dirty little paws on one of these new Rams.
For almost anyone over 30,torque and HP went waaaay down the list of needs when gas hit $5.50 a gallon.
This little motor is gonna put Dodge far out in front in sales.
I have also had the possibly misguided perception that we in the GWN are a tad more open to diesel than our neighbours in the tropics.As yet I have seen no advertising in the US about these Rams.....so maybe we up here get to run them for a while ahead of the States?
Whatever....this truck is gonna change everything.
Finally!
And yes...I drive Ford... almost always have.My kid bought an Ecoboost the week they came out.He may be thinking of trading it out.
He's one of the few and far between smart ones
Cheers.

Old 10-20-2013, 06:45 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
i really don't see many people willing to buy a little diesel pickup when diesel costs close to a dollar per gallon more than gas.

Old 10-20-2013, 07:26 PM
macone39
New User
Originally Posted by tjc transport View Post
i really don't see many people willing to buy a little diesel pickup when diesel costs close to a dollar per gallon more than gas.
Well,maybe you could try doing the math.
Or move north....diesel and gas are about the same price.....even cheaper in the west.
Then there's the point of longevity. Try getting the miles out of
A gas engine that are common with oil burners. Not even close.
Resale. Maintenance. Then there's the fact that the rest of the planet embraces diesel as the more efficient,cost effect fuel.
I could go on.
There are reasons why your cost at the pump is higher for diesel.changable reasons. Market driven reasons. Change the marketplace,and demand changes.
30 years ago,owning a diesel car was a bit of a crap-shoot up here. Folks had to really plan their driving around where fuel was available. All that has changed. I would be hard pressed to think of a gas station that didn't have diesel now. We,as consumers,using our buying practices and power,changed how fuels were distributed and retailed. That's one reason why ours is the same cost as gas....we made pricing competitive just by altering volume and demand.
The other thing is,the oil companies love selling diesel. So much easier to manufacture. But maybe the issue gets clouded by the fact that the more diesel vehicles there are on the road ,the less they will sell over all.
An oil producing country may have a different take on this as well.....

Old 10-20-2013, 07:26 PM
Tom
Tom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by macone39
The Ram 1500,only available in higher trim packages,gets 38 mpg(that's Canuk miles per.....more like 34 US).

That same engine is rated for 30 MPG in a rear-wheel-drive(and much lighter) Grand Cherokee. Volkswagen can't even get a front-wheel-drive sedan to get better than 42 MPGs, and you honestly think a full-size pickup truck will do 38?

I could see mid 20's for sure, but would it be worth the heavy buy-in cost? On the Grand Cherokee it costs between $4,500-5,000 depending on configuration. With diesel fuel running $0.60/gallon higher than gas around here it would take a LONG time to pay for itself. Assuming current fuel prices around here ($3.70/gal gasoline, $4.40/gal diesel) and you average 25 MPGs in the EcoDiesel vs. 20 MPGs in the gas truck you would save a whopping $135/year.

Even assuming the fuel prices between gas and diesel were the same you would only save $600/year assuming you split the difference at $4.00/gallon.

Whatever....this truck is gonna change everything.
Finally!
It's potentially going to fill a small-volume luxury niche for those who are willing to pay the dollars to own a diesel half-ton truck. But are buyers with an extra $5K to spend going to tolerate having that much less power than even a bottom-level V6 truck? Time will tell.

Old 10-20-2013, 07:54 PM
macone39
New User
Lets not try to get into the apples and oranges thing here..
The quoted 38 mpg is a Real gallon,not the little wee thing u guys call a gallon!
I think it's something like 20% smaller than the gallon used in the rest of the world.
I have a VW Golf tdi. Gets 68 mpg. That's about 55 mpg US. That's not EPA...that's me driving it. 1150 km per tank most weeks..about 800 miles per tank,$60.
In a really good work week,no hauling,no towing,my F150 5l gets about 18mpgUS....a tank gets me about 450 miles....costs $120. Hmmm.
So for the same $120 the new diesel ram will give me almost 900 miles.
Oh ya.....forgot to mention .... All mileage im using here is highway....we don't have much in the way of "urban" around here.
Yer gonna have a seriously hard time arguing about the benefits of diesel to me. I gots both.
As far as the payback time. I get that too....ya,takes some time and travel to. Get yer $5 grand back...less here cuz of the reduced cost of diesel....
BUT!.... I still get a huge rush out of driving 500 miles or so in the Vdub,and only needing $40 to fill it. That's a real,week to week payback...a weekly stick-it-to-the-oil cartel rush.
Priceless!
And we look forward to that same rush with a wee little diesel in our next F150.... Cuz I still can't bring myself to buy a Dodge

Old 10-20-2013, 08:01 PM
Tom
Tom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputation
We will see, and I honesty hope you are correct. I've had two diesel pickups in the past, and while they were efficient and powerful they had their own drawbacks. I'm more interested to see the next generation Nissan Titan with the 5.0L Cummins V8.

Old 10-20-2013, 08:08 PM
seventyseven250
Post Fiend
seventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant future
Just a heads up, 38 Imperial MPG = 31 US MPG, as the gallons are very different sizes.

An imperial gallon is 4546 mL and a US gallon is 3785 mL.

Car companies love to advertise Imperial gallon MPG measurement in Canada, because it's pretty confusing to the older generation. Add in the fact that Canadian fuel mileage is measured against Transport Canada testing procedures, which are quite different than those required by the EPA, and you have a set of numbers that are virtually impossible to compare.

I'm pretty sure Macone39 knows all this, and he's just rattling your cage.

Old 10-20-2013, 08:14 PM
archangel
Posting Guru
archangel is starting off with a positive reputation.
After all the time I spend dealing with the issues Ford had with the E4OD when it first came out and years/upgrades to get it better, but still not as perfect as the C6 was.
Then those used Diesels with so few miles on them sitting in various used vehicle lots that still can't sell.
Then the spark plug issues with the gas engines?
My Ford preference has been solidly shaken.
I see more low mileage used Ford diesels for sale than Dodge Diesels out there.
I did get a Transit Connect for the business, but as far as a pickup truck, I'm not sure what I'd choose (though not the GM).

Old 10-20-2013, 08:19 PM
macone39
New User
Hey77.... I came clean on the numbers!....no cage rattling required
Had no idea u guys payed so little for gas these days....must be nice...for a USGallon we pay around $4.50 for gas. Diesel is about the same.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Can we just delete this 4.4 section?

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: