General Automotive Discussion

Mr Clean Car Wash discontinued.

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 11:22 AM
spikedog
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mr Clean Car Wash discontinued.

After wandering around a couple of parts stores and big box stores, I couldn't find any refills for my Mr Clean carwash unit. A search on the internet reveals it is no longer made, and the last remaining filters and liquid are being sold off on Ebay for a premium.

I can't figure out why they would stop making this? It worked great, and wasn't too expensive. I eventually started using rubber gloves because the soap made the dirt stick to my hands somethin' fierce, but that seemed to be a minor issue. Wonder what made them decide to stop making this stuff?

Old 04-05-2012, 09:05 PM
rsylvstr
Cargo Master
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
isn't it the same crap as Jet Dry for your dishwasher?

Old 04-06-2012, 08:14 AM
cigarxtc
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
guess they didnt make enough sales?.......i've never used it.

Old 04-06-2012, 10:01 AM
jimandmandy
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Not the same. It has an actual in-line water "softener" built in that removed all minerals from the water. I didnt think much of the soap injector part, but used mine for spot-free rinse in a very hard water area. Now its more useless Chinese plastic to throw away. Most things like this dont last in the marketplace, so Im not surprised.

Old 04-06-2012, 10:07 AM
spikedog
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I thought the system worked pretty well - it was awesome to see the water bead off your car. The cartridge would give a good spot-free rinse, but it was hard to tell by the color if it was spent. Sounds like it wasn't that popular, hence the withdrawal from the market.

Old 04-06-2012, 02:07 PM
jim henderson
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It was discontinued a year or two back, we are just now seeing the effect of the pipeline from warehouses dry up.

You can probably recharge the water softener cartridge by soaking it in heavilly salted water for awhile or if you figure out a way, maybe force salt water through it. I used to do this with softener packs for my aquariums. The cartridge is mostly resin beads just like in a water softener. I have a couple used cartridges that I think I'll try to recharge.

So far I haven't tried any other soap in the sprayer that DIDN'T clog it up, so we might be stuck there. BUT, I haven't tried them all and maybe we just need to dilute whatever soap we do try?
I mostly just like the softener and the handy spray gun. A good coat of wax a few times a year will make your water bead up just fine, and make it easier to clean.

Experiments to come as the warm seans kicks in.

Jim Henderson

Old 04-08-2012, 06:07 AM
rsylvstr
Cargo Master
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
Guess I should check my Walmart. We have a softener and the water goes from 27 down to 1 GR of hardness. But it leaves spots on my dishes. Water guy says our water is "alkaline." jet dry in the dishwasher makes them come out spotless but the hand washes are very spotty. Not good because I love to handwash my truck.....
Experiment to come: Final rinse is buckets of water with jet dry.

Old 04-08-2012, 10:07 AM
Sand_Man
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Glad you like yours, but I had one and felt it was more trouble than it was worth. My sister-in-law knows I always keep our cars and trucks spotless and is forever buying me Christmas presents related to washing and detailing cars, nearly all of the gadgets are pure junk and few get used twice. The Mr Clean car wash thingie was one of those "future garage sale" items. I prefer plain old Dawn dishwashing liquid soap, a clean car wash mitt, warm water and work. It's fast, effective and I know they won't quit making it when the next big thing comes along.