6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Very weird issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2016, 01:13 PM
Dave Dirsa
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very weird issue

Hi Guys. Here is the back story. Developed a coolant leak too the horizantal EGR cooler line. Was already strongly considering a DPF delete. So after realizing how difficult it was to remove, and repair that coolant line. I decided too do an EGR delete, DPF delete, with a spartan nDash tuner.

I thought the EGR delete was a difficult repair, I found it too be a very tight fit. A lot of things to remove, some bolts were coroded, but we got through it. We followed the steps to a T. Had to separate the steering column in order to move the oil dipstick out of the way. The drivers wheel while separated was rotated a quarter turn, then returned to center by accident.

Rest of the delete went to plan. As well as the removal of the DPF (the sensor was tough, needed to hit it with a torch, plus a lot of penetrating oil) and install of the 4" strait pipe that fit into OEM.

Tuned it too the 40 hp tune.

Drives like a dream, But...

when I turn the wheel hard to the left, the horn goes on, seriously. Then if I turn the wheel hard to the right, the temperature on the climate control goes down, not kidding. Ill be damned if I can figure it out. I also disconnected an electrical saddle to get too bolt locations on the EGR delete. I reconnected the saddle. I do notice that the tires do not want to turn to the left, it does it, but i can feel a little rersistance. Then the horn goes off. Its almost funny, but I know there is an issue somewhere. What the hell is happening?

Old 01-04-2016, 05:05 PM
dlibson
Hotshot
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You rotated the steering wheel to much and are pulling on the clock spring and wires, You may have to replace the clock spring, maybe can get it properly recentered still though. Sounds like maybe to the right...

Old 01-06-2016, 10:46 PM
SpartanDieselTech
Former Vendor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Clockspring is likely the culprit. You might try disconnecting the steering shaft again, going a full turn opposite direction from the way that's giving issues, and reconnect. If that doesn't fix it, the clock spring is shorted and will need to be replaced.

Glad to hear the tuner is working well for you.

Old 05-03-2016, 07:34 AM
Dave Dirsa
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[QUOTE=dlibson;15918711]You rotated the steering wheel to much and are pulling on the clock spring and wires, You may have to replace the clock spring, maybe can get it properly recentered still though. Sounds like maybe to the right...[/

Thanks. Yup. Need to replace it. Anyone ever replaced the clock spring. I know there is a steering wheel remover that I would need to get. Perhaps I should just drop it off.