1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Archion’s Build Thread AKA "Project 359"

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 01:29 PM
Archion
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Archion’s Build Thread AKA "Project 359"

This has been mentioned a few times in other threads, and people have been asking me to start documenting things, so here goes. It will be a very slow process. I’ll try to post nudies as I get them sorted. Mostly this first post will be more of a bullet point type of thing, going through plans and the like.

Subject, background, etc:

We call it the OVTruck(inside thing) = 1986 F150 XLT Lariat SC LB 4x4 5.0l V8, AOD, A/T, 8.8 3:55 LS, A/C and power everything. With almost 298k on the truck and probably 200+ on the motor, she’s getting a bit tired. It pulls my 22ft Wilderness TT down the road pretty well, but she takes the mountains a bit begrudgingly and you can just tell it’s too much of a strain on that little 302. The truck spends most of its time sitting, maybe a quick trip on the weekend, then the odd camping trip once a month and the Carlisle All Truck Nationals is the main event every year. Other than that it’s just snow duty. Overall the truck is in good condition, none of the major cancer spots, light rust (patina) starting to show where the paint is thinning. Other than that, she’s just a great all around Bullnose. She’s just in need of a bit more get up n go. I’d much rather put this kind of money into this truck then deal with the constant babysitting that all the new diesel trucks require, and having had a mod motor mustang, I like my power to come in a bit lower than 3k rpm.

Motor plans:

I’m starting with a rather fresh .040 over 351W EFI roller motor from a 94 E150 that was the unfortunate victim of a fuel fire thanks to a leaky injector that was ignored. Pulling it down and doing a full refresh. Dad has done some mild porting on the E7TE heads. I’m tossing the stock cam in favor of the Comp Cams 35-349-8. I’m also including the later stock ford style double row roller timing set. On the bottom end I was able to score another crank that turned down to .010/.010. I’m also tossing in a Canton windage tray, capping it off with a new spectra Premium oil pan fresh off my shelf here at work. I was going to just put roller 1.7 rockers on with the stock cam, but with the minimal price difference, I opted for the cam. I can always add stock ratio roller rockers later. I’m going with shorty headers for simplicity and ease of future work. I know that I could make lots more TQ with long tubes, but first, I hate long tubes on a 4WD and second, I hate long tubes on a 4WD. There is barely enough clearance and they hang down too low for my liking. Of course it’ll be all dressed up with the right goodies. Motorsports EFI Truck valve covers, black billet wire looms, FRPP blue wires, and just cause I can MSD Red/Brass cap and rotor set. I’m having the later model 351W intake blasted and then the lower is going back with aluminum style paint, then the upper is getting the VHT wrinkle black with polished scripting to match the valve covers. I also scored a later set of 4-hole 19lb injectors. I’m going with the later serpentine drive belt system, keeping the later air pump and moving to a later FS10 A/C compressor as all I have to do is pop in the later manifold set to change it over. Exhaust is going back to a stockish style y-pipe and cat, from Magnaflow. The y-pipe is less restrictive than OEM and is only a single cat. Cat back will be something along the lines of a Flowmaster style single 3” in dual 2.25” out chambered system. I may go with the 17471 system as that gives me two exit options to play with. I would just have the exhaust custom done, but the closest shop that would even be allowed to touch it is 4.5 hours away, long ride on straight headers… I have seen the local guys work, not pretty.

Transmission plans:

I’m going to be retaining the AOD. An E4OD would be nice, but is a bit more than I want to undertake with limited resources out here. We will be beefing the transmission considerably. Planned upgrades included more direct clutches, big band, super servo and a host of Sonnax updates to the valve body and such. We are also tossing in a 4R70W gear set as it is a bit wider ratio and will help a little at takeoff with the 3:55’s. I’m staying with a stock style convertor; 1500(?) rpm stall for the 351W I believe. I’m going to go with a larger trans cooler for good measure.

Engine management:

Here is where the plan is not fully though out. Initial plans are to go with a 93 speed density 351W ECM that we have, and modify the wiring accordingly. I’m still tossing around the idea of MAF conversion, but that depends on parts cost and availability. All engine plans are laid out keeping the speed density in mind. Definite plans include changing over to the later distributer with the remote mount module.

Paint:

Nothing too special here, just changing the color to the later Ford color known as Medium Wedgewood Blue Metallic. Possibly some kind of two tone, but not sure yet. I already have a black grill and step bars on it. I’m keeping the stock 85-86 XLT bright work and chrome headlight doors. I’m trying to source a good tailgate. I have a good XLT Lariat 85-86 trim panel with good letters; just need a good gate to put it on. Mine is a bit dented and has developed a rust hole as of late. Worst case, I have a non-structural Chinese repop from work that will at least keep stuff in the bed and is smooth faced. I wouldn’t use it to sit or stand on though; I don’t see it being strong enough.

That’s about it for now. I will update later with a few pictures of some various parts. As always things may and probably will change.... YMMV... Thank you for shopping, please drive through...

Old 04-03-2012, 01:29 PM
Archion
Postmaster
Reserved for future use....

Old 04-03-2012, 01:30 PM
Archion
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Archion
Reserved for future use....

and another one...

Old 04-03-2012, 01:47 PM
85lebaront2
Old School Hot Rodder

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Matt, the 351 EEC is a 1993, F2TF-12A650-AHB, but the catch code Z2D1 shows up as a 1994 EEC F4TF-12A650-AHB so go figure? I was looking into an MAF setup, 351s didn't get it till 1995 and I think all the MAF engines either had 4R70W or E4OD transmissions. I also have two SD SEFI EECs, a 1988 Tbird and a 1990 Town Car both of which ran AODs.

Old 04-03-2012, 02:07 PM
Archion
Postmaster
That's why I'm thinking we'll just go with that 93 box. It just works with minimal issues... The cam is going to take care of most of the power issues anyway. I have no problem staying batch fire. SEFI would be nice, but it might open up more worms than I want, especially with the weak *** passenger car programming.

Old 04-07-2012, 12:25 PM
Terpfords
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had an 88 T-Bird and put a 88 Mustang SEFI speed density computer in it and you would have thought I changed motors! There is a big difference in the programming, so I would look around. Most Mustang owners go MAF and you could probably pick them up for nothing.

Old 04-23-2012, 11:37 AM
Archion
Postmaster
Well, we think we are going in a different direction for the transmission. Thanks to some parts that kinda fell in Dad's lap, we are investigating ditching the AOD and it's damn cable of impending doom, and going to a 4R70W. We had gotten the modular case core just for the gear set, but the guts are in great shape and we have located a case with the SBF bolt pattern as well.

Another issue is shift linkage, The 4R70W originally has a cable shifter. Lokar make some stuff to adapt over, but we still have to call them and make sure it has the hub provision for the PRNDL. If it does, it should just be a simple matter of fabbing up a rod with some heim joints. The transfer case shifter may require modifications, we'll have to see. The AODE/4R70W is 7/8" longer than the AOD due to the fatter lockup converter. Minor modification of the crossmember to account for the length would be in order as well.

That leaves us with two options for controlling this whole mess. Either find a 94-95 5.0 HO MAF/4R70W ECM and associated wiring from an F/E150, I'm told the HO ECM will run the 351W fine, or stay with the SD for now and go with the Optishift from Baumann, allowing me to upgrade to MAF at a later date.

Old 04-23-2012, 02:05 PM
85lebaront2
Old School Hot Rodder

Well, we have the Lokar answer, it does allow for the MLP sensor. Your truck may have two sets of crossmember holes as the C6 was longer than the AOD.

I would say use the Baumann Optishift for tuning capabilities, like holding gears longer towing and being able to engage the lockup in lower gears like my E4OD will so the fluid doesn't heat up as bad.

We may be able to find a C6 or similar transfer case linkage and mount that will put everything where it belongs.

Old 04-23-2012, 10:39 PM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 964 Likes on 763 Posts
I like you plans for the most part and think it should work well though I think you have been buying the wrong longtubes because some of them don't hang too low or cause fitment issues. I had a set of the original Flowtechs that fit the motor and truck beautifully but sadly its seems they have changed the mold and newer versions are a complete mess, but Pacesetter has a set that rival the original Flowtechs for fitment and have a better connector style on the collector(slip fit vs flange with bolts).

I also would question the axle gearing in your truck, 3.73 was not a factory option so unless you put those in yourself you have 3.55 or 4.10.

As for your trans selection and MAF, if you don't go to a 4R70w a mustang EEC will run the 5.8 no problem and adding it simply requires the addition of sequential injector and MAF meter wiring, something you can strip from a MAF truck or Mustang wiring harness and overlay on top of your stock truck harness. If using the 4R70w you will be adding a bunch of wires for that so it makes sense to also convert it to MAF at the same time, and 5.0/4R70w trucks were far more common than any other so parts for this shouldn't be too hard to find. And FWIW there never were any 5.0HO trucks, after '94 the truck motor used the HO firing order but that doesn't make the motor a HO.

Old 04-24-2012, 08:19 PM
Archion
Postmaster
Thanks for checking it out Paul, And I stand corrected, I dont know where I got the 3:73 stuck in my head, but I did. Sumbitch... I crawled under the truck and looked at the tags, then went and pulled the build sheet out of the safe... 3:55LS...

And on the longtubes, I also will need to keep an emissions legal "looking" exhaust and the shorties will help with that. I'm actually retaining all the other emissions systems as well. I'm using the Summit/Pacesetter shorties for this build.

On another note, I'm in the market for the needed 94-95 5.0/4r70w ecm/wiring/maf/airbox etc. Thinking the one for the van would be best and easiest to work with as far as the airbox design. So if anyone sees one floating in their yard runs, keep me in mind.

Old 11-10-2012, 07:53 AM
85lebaront2
Old School Hot Rodder

You might want to update this since you have the MAF, airbox, mounting, BUG0 ecm, CCD ICM, and I have all the wiring off that 94 F-150

Old 11-10-2012, 08:27 PM
liftnw8z
(CL) Team Brahma

Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts
Originally Posted by Archion
This has been mentioned a few times in other threads, and people have been asking me to start documenting things, so here goes. It will be a very slow process. I’ll try to post nudies as I get them sorted. Mostly this first post will be more of a bullet point type of thing, going through plans and the like.
Are those the same as truck ****?

Old 01-31-2013, 08:57 PM
Archion
Postmaster
Saying goodbye to the old girl, was Archion's Build Thread AKA "Project 359"

Well ladies and gentlemen... This project has come to an end. The more and more I got into it, the more I realized that while it was a good project, I had to come to reality and actually pick up a truck. I could not be down that long with out a truck of some sort. And it really turned into more than I wanted to get into and even had time for with my hectic schedule. I will be putting the truck up for sale in the near future, while I hate to see here go, it is better than letting her sit. She has been good to me, and I hope she carries on with that tradition. now onto the meat of this story, a copy from my thread up top in another forum.

I've been looking at EX's off and on for about a year now, and really got bit this past year at our annual FTE meet at Carlisle when more members showed up with them. I found this one, a one owner, 2002 XLT V10 with only 60K on it. I've been haggling with the dealer over price for about a week and sealed the deal today. I love this thing already, the ride back up the interstate was exquisite compared to my 86, and even the company Accord. I look forward to spending time up here. The took it on trade in December, and put all new tires, brakes, rotors, sway-bar links, and a new Motorcraft battery as well as some small maintenance stuff. It also has never tows heavy, it was a kid hauler. The 7-pin is still virgin. aside from cleaning and painting the under carriage(one reason for the haggling) It's good to go. Well that and the in dash dvd and camera install. Later one I'll adress the springs, but the steering box is still tight. I thing it should haul my little 22' Wilderness travel trailer just fine.

Well on to the build info and pics. I apologize in advance, it was dark by the time I got home.

First the ETIS info.

* Illustration shows model only
EXCURSION, 6.8L SOHC EFI NA V10 Gas, True Blue Pearl

VIN Number: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Primary Features
Build Date: 10.01.2002
Vehicle Line: EXCURSION
Body Style: 4 Door Wagon
Series: 250 Series
Engine: 6.8L SOHC EFI NA V10 Gas
Transmission: E4OD(4R100)
Drive: LHD 4WD (PTD)
Axle Ratio: 3.73
Emission: With 49 State Emission Requirements
Air Conditioning: HD Manual Air Conditioning
Paint: True Blue Pearl

Minor Features
Medium Flint
137"/3480MM Wheelbase
XLT
Less Fleet Related Items
Kentucky Truck Plant Build
U.S. Sales
With Convenience Group
Less Special Value Packages
Less Ambient Temp/Speed Pack
Less Memory Package
Less Special Language Label
Owner Hand Book Pack
With Electric Rear Quarter Window
With Privacy Glass
With Heated Rear Window
With Full Floor Console
Adjustable Accl/Brake Foot Pedals
Front Floor Carpet Mats
Rear Floor Carpet Mats
With Carpet Floor Covering
Less I/P Insert
Sunvisor - Dual Drv Illuminated
Sunvisor - Dual-Pass Illuminated
With Level 3 Door Trim Panel
With Load Retention Net
Less Load Floor Covering
With Lighted Running Boards
With Bright Front Grille
With Integrated Roof Rack
Lower Painter Cladding Design A
With Electrochromic R/View Mirror
Dual Ttow Pwr Htd Telscp Manfold
Less Temp Control Driver Seat
Less Temp Control Passengers Seat
Sec Row 60/40 (3 P)-Easy Entry
With 3rd Row Bench Seat
With Driver 6 Way Pwr.Seat Adjuster
With Pass 6 Way Power Seat Adjuster
With Heavy Duty Trailer Towing
With Front Towing Hook
With Central Locking System
With Door Entry Remote Control Unit
With Int. Rear Window Wiper/Washer
Speed Sensitive Windscreen Wipers
Less Body Tu-Tone Paint
Front Bumper - Steel Chromed
Rear Bumper - Steel Step - Chromed
With Front Licence Plate Bracket
With Driver Air Bag
With Passenger Air Bag
7.0 X 16" Forged Aluminium Wheel
Less Wheel Covers
Less Immersion Heater
With Front Stabilizer Bar
Rear Axle Limited Slip Differential
4 Wheel Anti-Lock Braking System
Electric Trans Case And Auto Hubs
Less Skid Plates
For Unleaded Fuel
With Tilt Steering Wheel
Leather Steering Wheel
With Speed Control
With MPH/KMH Speedometer
With Tripminder Assy
With Reverse Proximity Sensor
Heavy Duty Battery
Extra Heavy Duty Alternator
AM/FM CD Changer/Clock
With NAAO Radio Frequency
Less Family Entertainment System
With Rear Seat Radio Controls
Less Luxury Pack
With Comfort Pack
Less Homelink
Less Daytime Running Lamps
Less Front Fog Lamps
With Dual Beam Dome Map Light
With Automatic Headlamp Control
True Blue Pearl
Less B&A Control Codes Issue 030388
With Overspeed Warning Disabled
(+)"USA"
(-)"N"
(-)"CDN"
(-)"BRN"
And a few pics.

Attached Images      

Last edited by Archion; 01-31-2013 at 09:14 PM. Reason: title
Old 01-31-2013, 10:29 PM
85lebaront2
Old School Hot Rodder

So what do we do with all the various bits we have been collecting?

Old 01-31-2013, 11:01 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Matt - It takes a honest man to make those decisions. Congrat's on the buy, but sorry the project has to go.

Originally Posted by 85lebaront2
So what do we do with all the various bits we have been collecting?
What bits? Any power window door switches? Rosewood door panels? Or is it more the power train?

Quick Reply: Archion’s Build Thread AKA "Project 359"