1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New member: mpg question

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 10:31 AM
PA-Mark
Posting Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Frank265
I will not chip mine
Cool My truck is not chiped either... Wanna start a non chipped club

We could call it De-tunners "R" us....

Its refered to as tuned in here BTW, cause its not as simple as throwing a chip as the truck so much as tuning the motor to run much more efficiently, cooler, and also if needed pulling the hidden horsepower out of the motor... But to each his own... Nobody will knock you here about it

Old 04-02-2012, 10:33 AM
purser54
New User
Originally Posted by PA-Mark
I would not say its unatainable, but you have given us only general info... there is way more that we need to know.

In my opinion, I dont think the mileage story was completely true. But hea! ive been wrong before
What other info could I get for you to help you all give me a better answer Mark? He listed off so many mods when I called that it was hard to write them down, much less keep up just listening. But I'm sure I can ask again.

Old 04-02-2012, 10:49 AM
PA-Mark
Posting Guru

Your the buyer, tell him to slow down, its time to be sure. Ok for starters, the 10" lift make sure its not blocks up front AT ALL! now this is a biggie! NO LIFT BLOCKS IN THE FRONT. If there is, you can still buy it, Just plan on uninstalling it, and redoing it. Blocks that big in the back are also not a good idea, but at least its not at risk of crashing the truck into me or somebody i care about.

Next rims for those meats... make sure they are wide enough for the tire, so your tire is not crowned in the middle. Also if they are Aftermarket, are they still hub centric, if not there goes your f-250 weight rating. Tires, Load rated E. If not what ever there rated at That is your new weight capasity.

Old 04-02-2012, 10:49 AM
PA-Mark
Posting Guru

we havent even got up to the truck yet; im still typing be patient

Old 04-02-2012, 10:51 AM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
Gas gauges LIE in Fords. At half, my 30 gallon tank takes 21 gallons to fill up. Then it drops like a rock to the bottom after the half way point. I have a friend with an '03 that's even worse, his needle won't move off of F until he's 10 gallons into a 38 gallon tank. So take the "250 miles on half" a tank comment lightly, because it could only have 50-100 more miles left in the tank according the the dash idiot gauge.

If he's geared it at least he's showing that he has some basic mechanical understanding and that he didn't just cram big rubber under the truck completely mindlessly, but I'd still check out the lift for signs of in-breeding. Tell-tale things like front blocks, lack of brake line re-routing, trashed brakes, missing/torn linkage boots, and anything he calls "custom" you'll have to check for bird-crap welds and general stupidity; those things would make me walk away.

I see one thing all the time on Flea-Bay: people say crap like "has $75,000 in custom aftermarket accessories!" trying to make you think the truck is worth their god-awful asking price of $40k for a ten year old truck with 180k miles. Just because he was dumb enough to pay full retail on that much crap (or just because he's lying and giving you the full retail price when he got it at a garage sale), does NOT make the whole equal to the sum of it's parts. Ignore anything to do with the cost of the add-ons and focus on the truck behind all the bling.

Old 04-02-2012, 10:59 AM
PA-Mark
Posting Guru

Ok now a neccessity for those tires would be gears in the differentials, Im not even sure how tall of a gear you would need to be cumfy , but i would bet a 4.70 or higher... then i would be askin who put them in, do front and rear match, what brand are they and so on... Next would be differential pinion angle, has it been altered, and what was used to do it, or not do it. Omg the list goes on and on. The more I think of lifting a truck that high the more questions come up... I think you need to brouse the superduty pix thread and find one that has been lifted that high and send that guy lots of PM's honestly...

Old 04-02-2012, 11:11 AM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
Omg the list goes on and on.
Yeah it sure does.. I was trying to stay general and just give the "OMG WTF" warning signs... Google scary steering sometime, it's why I troll auction sites, it's better than cable TV some times.

Old 04-02-2012, 11:30 AM
PA-Mark
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by texastech_diesel
Yeah it sure does.. I was trying to stay general and just give the "OMG WTF" warning signs... Google scary steering sometime, it's why I troll auction sites, it's better than cable TV some times.
HAHAHHAAA! im on it!

Old 04-02-2012, 11:54 AM
purser54
New User
Old 04-02-2012, 12:29 PM
PA-Mark
Posting Guru

well it sure looks pirty! actualy it realy looks clean. But for all those mods he is trying to sell you on. he dosnt seem to be concerened with mentioning any of them.
it realy dosnt look like it will turn thow, also looks like a set of latter bars in the rear which can be good if done right. honestly, go drive it, look at it, ask a ton of questions. and dont buy if you get a weird feeling. take some close ups with your phone or other cam and post em, someone will gladly chime in on if it looks good

Old 04-02-2012, 12:45 PM
purser54
New User
well it sure looks pirty! actualy it realy looks clean. But for all those mods he is trying to sell you on. he dosnt seem to be concerened with mentioning any of them.
it realy dosnt look like it will turn thow, also looks like a set of latter bars in the rear which can be good if done right. honestly, go drive it, look at it, ask a ton of questions. and dont buy if you get a weird feeling. take some close ups with your phone or other cam and post em, someone will gladly chime in on if it looks good
Not justifying him for not posting everything, but he seemed to probably not be very tech. inclined as far as posting it online after talking to him or too excited about selling it. I got the feeling that his wife is making him sell it or that he is in debt pretty bad. Also, he said that most of the mods done on it were done by its previous owner. Other than he added the tire and wheel combo (bumped up from 40's and 22's to 46's and 20's), winch and bumper, and a few other things. It honestly seems like this guy doesn't know much about it; that it was pretty much done up when he got it. Because he did not know the answers to some of the questions about mods I asked. (brand of lift, gear ratio, etc.) But I did confirm that it is all shocks and springs, no drop bracket, blocks, or body lift. He seemed pretty well off too, because he talked about his other toys, and that's probably why mpg($) is not a big issue to him. He says it truly has good power still and drives fine. I believe he just bought it as is and doesn't really know much about it other than how to operate it.

Old 04-02-2012, 12:45 PM
lllateralus
Senior User
Whats the big deal about getting 13MPG with a 7.3 towing a Jeep?

Sure the tires are big, but he said it has gears. If its geared PROPERLY, then the "gearing" should be factory stock with the larger tires.
With a stock geared 7.3, getting 13MPG towing a jeep is totally realistic.

And the guy who says his bro in law's empty 7.3 is getting 13 on a good day, well either its ALL city and idling, (very possible) or there is something wrong. (or its modded with a lift and big tires)

My 7.3 F350 in my sig below gets 16 or so running down the highway with my 35 inch tires and stock gearing.

Old 04-02-2012, 12:55 PM
purser54
New User
Originally Posted by lllateralus
Whats the big deal about getting 13MPG with a 7.3 towing a Jeep?

Sure the tires are big, but he said it has gears. If its geared PROPERLY, then the "gearing" should be factory stock with the larger tires.
With a stock geared 7.3, getting 13MPG towing a jeep is totally realistic.

And the guy who says his bro in law's empty 7.3 is getting 13 on a good day, well either its ALL city and idling, (very possible) or there is something wrong. (or its modded with a lift and big tires)

My 7.3 F350 in my sig below gets 16 or so running down the highway with my 35 inch tires and stock gearing.
See, I'm kind of thinking that too. The guy couldn't tell me off hand what his gear ratio was. I believe he just bought the truck as is and just drives it. But if you gear the truck properly to a 46'' tire, you can still get decent gas mileage. Obviously not amazing because it still is a huge tire, but if the ratio to the tire is close, then you can maintain some mpg. Power will be lower of course. Also, he does have a programmer/tuner/chip or whatever yall call it on this forum. He says he keeps it on the 4th setting for fuel economy, if that helps yall with figuring out what it is. But that is also a factor I'm sure. I have never had one, but a friend of mine has a Dodge 3500 with 37's and he recently got a tuner and is getting over 22mpg. Given, that he does drive a lot of highway miles, but still, they work.

Old 04-02-2012, 01:35 PM
purser54
New User
is there anybody on this forum with 46's or close to that size that you guys know of? if there is, I'd like to ask them some questions.

Old 04-02-2012, 02:51 PM
Kajtek1
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would not say its unatainable, but you have given us only general info... there is way more that we need to know.

In my opinion, I dont think the mileage story was completely true. But hea! ive been wrong before
I think the mileage could be honest, but OP assumed wrong calculation. If the needle at 1/2 tank means 23 gallons was used, the calculation comes slightly above 10mpg. That is pretty realistic mileage for described situation.

Quick Reply: New member: mpg question