Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3G Swap: Should I think about doing one?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 08:25 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
oh yeah,i forgot you had a devoted thread going.
go back wading lol and grab that e-fan from the same car! that car sports your next best upgrade too!

it's easy spending other peoples money isn't it?

Old 04-09-2012, 08:29 AM
Intimnasc
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK so heres where I am at and my last couple of questions.
1. Got my new alternator off a 93 Taurus 3.8
2. Had it tested at the local O'Reilly
3. Got some #1 welding cable, lugs, and Red heat shrink from work
4. Reclocked the alternator and hopefully without damaging it. (need a thread with pictures for future users couldn't find anything on ANY forum)

Now for questions
1. The donor alternator has a right angle insulator that comes off the back of the alternator. It would be a cleaner install if this was straight and I can do it without the insulator too just hoping someone knows where to get one.
2. The rubber boot in the kit in one of the first posts, does anyone know where I can get just that boot?
3. Just started looking but the local O'Reilly only had the fuse and no holder and the nearest NAPA is some distance, open to suggestions.
4. I being a lame reared knuckleheaded dipstick forgot to get the plugs from the donor car. My current 2G has 2 3 wire plugs and the 3G has a 3 wire and a 1 wire. Anyone know where I can get the grey 1 wire without a return trip to the wrecking yard? Going by the dealership later today their electrical guy like me since he bailed me out on my cooker lights and I smoked him a brisket.

Old 04-09-2012, 09:12 AM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Intimnasc
Now for questions
1. The donor alternator has a right angle insulator that comes off the back of the alternator. It would be a cleaner install if this was straight and I can do it without the insulator too just hoping someone knows where to get one.
2. The rubber boot in the kit in one of the first posts, does anyone know where I can get just that boot?
3. Just started looking but the local O'Reilly only had the fuse and no holder and the nearest NAPA is some distance, open to suggestions.
4. I being a lame reared knuckleheaded dipstick forgot to get the plugs from the donor car. My current 2G has 2 3 wire plugs and the 3G has a 3 wire and a 1 wire. Anyone know where I can get the grey 1 wire without a return trip to the wrecking yard?
1) You can just remove the right angle adapter, but IIRC you need to remove the rear cap to unscrew it.
You can see it here;
2) You might try an auto electric rebuilder or a body shop.
....Maybe a marine supply (chandlery)
The only places I know of sell them in lots of 25, 50, 100.
3)I have seen the Bussmann holder and MegaFuses at my local Advance Auto.
4)The 1 wire is just the white/black wire looped from the three wire plug you already have.

Almost any crimp on insulated spade plug will do in a pinch.

Old 04-09-2012, 09:51 AM
Intimnasc
Senior User
Found a fuse holder at O'Reillies they apparently don't know how to look up their own inventories (God I miss the days when auto parts stores actually had people that worked on cars at the counters). Going to use an insulated sta-kon for the missing part if I can't get one quickly. Plan on doing this tonight when I get home from work.

Oh and yeah I have the 90 degree thing off but in some of ya'lls posts they had alternators with a straight insulator not necessary but I am **** on things looking good. Thank You all for the help.

Old 04-09-2012, 10:08 AM
oldmongo
Elder User
@ Intimnasc
You might have the O'Reilly store order a holder, they usually get regular deliveries. Or order it on line from NAPA. I don't know how big your town is, but you could check with a big truck shop, farm equipment shop, or even a stereo shop ... just remember a "MEGA FUSE" only fits in a " MEGA FUSE" holder!!! IMHO the #1 welder cable is overkill but if you got it use it. I used 2ga. on mine. You might think about going back to where you got the alt and getting the wiring. If you are unsure about your re-clocking job have it checked again it's free !!!

Old 04-09-2012, 01:52 PM
Evan_P
Cargo Master
Received 106 Likes on 86 Posts
Here is the fuse holds NAPA part #:
Mega fuse holder: BK 7821143

Go online and enter than number at napa and see if any local napa has one. Then if they do when you pick it up get 2ga cable. They have it and it was $12 for 3ft.

Old 04-09-2012, 02:41 PM
Evan_P
Cargo Master
One thing I would like to add that I realized I didn't mentio. Is that the larger lower bolt for the alternator did not fit in my new 3G when I went to put it in. I took a drill bit that just fit in from the back of the case on the lower hole and drilled it out. Just I case anyone has the same issue. Completely different note: anyone want an old 2g alternator? lol

Old 04-09-2012, 02:44 PM
SideWinder4.9l
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Evan_P
Completely different note: anyone want an old 2g alternator? lol
Scrap it....It can be classified as an electric motor...

In my area...That's $.35-40 per lb...

So yea...It can recoup $5 of your costs...

Old 04-09-2012, 03:06 PM
Evan_P
Cargo Master
I'll use it for core at pick-n-pull if I ever need it.

Old 04-09-2012, 09:32 PM
Evan_P
Cargo Master
Update: No issues, everything working well. Maybe fog lights in the future?

Just took some more pictures of the harness incase anyone is confused. Next run to pick-n-pull I might grab another plug harness and show how that is made. But for now these might help.

Run the newly made harness's green wire to this plug:

I cut the one end off the old alternator wiring and attatched it to the new harness.

And here is a better shot of how the harness goes onto the alternator:

Old 04-10-2012, 06:59 AM
Intimnasc
Senior User
Got it done last night with some minor issues I will fix this week. The lug I used had a 3/8 hole at the alternator so I'll go by the supply house this week and get one. I am goiong to move the vacuum canister and that smog can on the fender well to locate the fuse more neatly next to my sound systerm fuse. TRhe whole process would be much easier sober, may try that route in the future.

Old 04-16-2012, 12:28 AM
Evan_P
Cargo Master
Ok so all is good. Charges well. Just a question. Its only happened maybe 3 times since the install but during start-up the belt will squeel really loud for about 2 seconds. I know its the more powerful alternator. Just wondering if anyone has had this issue and fixed it?

Old 04-16-2012, 02:41 AM
oldmongo
Elder User
Evan_P, mine has done the "squeak" from day #1. What I read on here was that the cure is going to an 8 rib belt and pulley system, I understand it is a $$$ fix. my tension pulley is indicating mid-range and the belt is new. When I do replace the belt, I will go with a Gatorback belt ... otherwise enjoy the reminder that you upgraded your alt.
Dave

Old 04-16-2012, 01:37 PM
Evan_P
Cargo Master
Yeah it's not that big of a deal. I'll take the reminder. I do have a squeaky pulley somewhere though that is annoying me. Been their for the last 6 months...

Old 04-16-2012, 01:41 PM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Maybe your belt is glazed and it's time for a new one?

Quick Reply: 3G Swap: Should I think about doing one?