About to install a head unit in my 07 Expedition -- any tips?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 09:15 AM
Jason Merrick
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
About to install a head unit in my 07 Expedition -- any tips?

Shortly after purchasing my 2007 Expedition EL 5 years ago, I had a local audio shop remove the factory sub and install a 6-channel JBL amp in its place inside the rear cargo wall on the driver's side. They ran 6-channel hi/lo converters from behind the factory head unit. They also built a new sealed box for my 10" Alpine Type-S sub which sits in the cargo area. A few months later, I added Polk Audio DB-series 6.5" components in the front doors and coaxials in the back doors.

Recently, the amp started malfunctioning. Various channels would cut out intermittently. So I purchased a Rockford Fosgate 5-channel amp (Amazon.com: New Rockford Fosgate Prime 600 Watt 5 Channel Amplifier: Car Electronics) and planned to install it myself. After unsuccessfully attempting to disassemble the cargo area, I took it to a (different) local audio shop to install. Very happy with this amp and I can actually hear a marked difference over the old JBL. Unfortunately, the new amp also revealed that one of my rear speakers is blown. I had previously assumed it was the faulty JBL amp causing the issue.

So yesterday I ordered a new head unit, the Pioneer AVH-P3400BH (Pioneer AVH-P3400BH DVD receiver at Crutchfield.com) from Crutchfield, along with the PAC interface (PAC Ford Radio Replacement Interface Allows aftermarket radio installation in select 2005-up Ford-built vehicles (model C2R-FRD1) at Crutchfield.com). I also ordered the parking brake bypass off of eBay (eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices) and a pair of Infinity Kappa 682.9cf 6x8" speakers (Amazon.com: Infinity 6829CF 300W (Peak) 6 x 8 / 5 x 7 -Inch 2-Way Speakers (Pair): Car Electronics) to replace the rears.

I ordered the head unit from Crutchfield mainly for the Mastersheet instructions and the availability of installation technical support by phone. I'd love to hear any thoughts on this setup or tips to streamline the installation. Also, any tips on where to install the bluetooth microphone for the head unit?

Thanks guys!

Old 03-31-2012, 10:30 PM
fz1dave
Super Duty
Crutchfield is usually pretty accurate with their instructions so I would recommend just following along. Go at your own pace on the install and do it right the first time. Solder all your connections, tape off the tips of any unused wires.

I normally install the BT mike at the top of the drivers side a pillar, aimed slightly down and toward the drivers seat.

Old 04-01-2012, 09:38 AM
Jason Merrick
New User
Originally Posted by fz1dave
Crutchfield is usually pretty accurate with their instructions so I would recommend just following along. Go at your own pace on the install and do it right the first time. Solder all your connections, tape off the tips of any unused wires.

I normally install the BT mike at the top of the drivers side a pillar, aimed slightly down and toward the drivers seat.
Thanks for the response Dave. Is soldering the connections necessary? I have an old cheap soldering gun, but I've rarely used it and I've never actually been taught a proper method.

Old 04-02-2012, 01:19 AM
fz1dave
Super Duty
Soldering is by no means necessary and most installers don't do it since it takes more time. The upside is you don't have to worry about those connections that you might never see again. It's a solid connection that won't shake loose.

If you are considering it, here is a decent video on the how-to's.

Old 04-02-2012, 09:08 AM
Jason Merrick
New User
Thanks for the video, will check it out!